Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We decided on a Caribbean blue Soul LX+. Dealer didn't have in stock so I am not so patiently waiting. Hopefully Wednesday!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,530 Posts
Waiting is the worst Laurie. Long walks, coffee & dark chocolate can help pass the time :)

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
welcome, I had to wait a few days to get mine as they had to get it from another dealer. Also be aware that the features you are getting on your LX+ MT is not available for the US market in their Base MT version - so very exclusive. :sneakiness:

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
It's very special but also a bit of a ruse. If I read it correctly, to get air conditioning (standard on all Yank models), they force you to buy an expensive options package. Maybe not so very exclusive as just plain different :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
We decided on a Caribbean blue Soul LX+. Dealer didn't have in stock so I am not so patiently waiting. Hopefully Wednesday!
Be patient , enjoy the anticipation , it's the best ! When you get and drive away ....it's a used car :culpability:

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
It's very special but also a bit of a ruse. If I read it correctly, to get air conditioning (standard on all Yank models), they force you to buy an expensive options package. Maybe not so very exclusive as just plain different :)
okay I concede :sneakiness:, your right "its different" we don't get a/c as standard on Canadian models (that also applies to virtually any low priced model from any manufacturer sold in Canada).

She is paying $1800 (CDN MSRP) more over the base LX MT to get a/c, 16" alloys, keyless entry, cruise control, heated front seats, sideview mirror signal repeaters, illuminated ignition switch. So she is getting good value for the money - if you want it.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
okay I concede :sneakiness:, your right "its different" we don't get a/c as standard on Canadian models (that also applies to virtually any low priced model from any manufacturer sold in Canada).

She is paying $1800 (CDN MSRP) more over the base LX MT to get a/c, 16" alloys, keyless entry, cruise control, heated front seats, sideview mirror signal repeaters, illuminated ignition switch. So she is getting good value for the money - if you want it.
This is a common criticism of car makers "burying basic features in expensive options packages." In this instance Canada uses air conditioning as the "hostage" & in the US its Cruise Control.

It's not just Kia, all makers use this tactic to steer buyers to things they may not want or don't need. Of course the goal of marketing is to "create the need."

To get a simple sun roof in most cars these days you need to buy a package of expensive things unrelated to a sun roof.

And if you really do your homework, the "backup camera" has been used as a major hostage. Really, only Honda made it standard across the line without having to purchase clingon products.

Now the government has stepped in and mandated backup cameras must be standard in the future.

The practice of burying simple options will continue. How much did it "really cost" to get that cool little Kia flashlight built into the boot.......oh, several thousand dollars in options you say :)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
This is a common criticism of car makers "burying basic features in expensive options packages." In this instance Canada uses air conditioning as the "hostage" & in the US its Cruise Control.

It's not just Kia, all makers use this tactic to steer buyers to things they may not want or don't need. Of course the goal of marketing is to "create the need."

To get a simple sun roof in most cars these days you need to buy a package of expensive things unrelated to a sun roof.

And if you really do your homework, the "backup camera" has been used as a major hostage. Really, only Honda made it standard across the line without having to purchase clingon products.

Now the government has stepped in and mandated backup cameras must be standard in the future.

The practice of burying simple options will continue. How much did it "really cost" to get that cool little Kia flashlight built into the boot.......oh, several thousand dollars in options you say :)
Also, sometimes you are stuck with choosing from what is available too if you can't wait. When I bought my Soul, my Concorde had broken down the day before and I needed a car that day which was a Sunday (dealer is open one Sunday a month, talk about timing). I had a to drive up to one of our other locations for work on Monday and needed a car. I had been wanting a Soul for a while but hadn't pulled the trigger yet.

Anyways, I wanted the backup camera which was part of the UVO package back then, but the only cars the dealer had in stock with the UVO package had both the UVO package and the sunroof package. So, I got one of those... which turned out to be pretty sweet, I love my sunroof now that I have one and probably will get one from here out on all my new cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts