Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the thoughts on winter tyre based soul. Is 2WD a limitation? I mention base model because I want to understand capability of car as opposed to any cold weather package that might be standard in other trims. What MPG do you guys get in winter and fall seasons?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes. I'm in the Twin Cities metro area. I had a 2013 base soul with manual transmission for 7 years, and now have a 2020 LX with IVT. Both have performed fine in the winter, if driven sensibly. The 2020 is better, though. Even with the OEM tires, it is stable and good in snow and packed snow. No complaints, no skids, and no panicky situations.

I don't have any fuel economy numbers, though.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Yes. I'm in the Twin Cities metro area. I had a 2013 base soul with manual transmission for 7 years, and now have a 2020 LX with IVT. Both have performed fine in the winter, if driven sensibly. The 2020 is better, though. Even with the OEM tires, it is stable and good in snow and packed snow. No complaints, no skids, and no panicky situations.

I don't have any fuel economy numbers, though.
Hey CA, I know this is a little off topic but how many miles did you have on your MT 2013 when you got rid of it? Any problems with it? Thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey CA, I know this is a little off topic but how many miles did you have on your MT 2013 when you got rid of it? Any problems with it? Thanks!
Just 40k miles. Never a problem of any kind. Put tires and a new battery in it last winter We traded it in 7 years to the day from when we bought it Base trim, manual transmission.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Just 40k miles. Never a problem of any kind. Put tires and a new battery in it last winter We traded it in 7 years to the day from when we bought it Base trim, manual transmission.
Thanks CA. It sounds like it served you well.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I don't know how different the 2020 is from my 2012 or my 2016, but I never considered either Soul especially nimble in the kind of snow we get where I live. One year when I was late putting the winter tires on, I could barely get up my hill in four to six inches of snow with the stock tires.

With good winter tires, on the other hand, the Soul does very well. I have no qualms about going anywhere in any weather I can still see through when equipped with the proper rubber.

I've used the Hankook Winter iPike RS W419 and the General Altimax Arctic, both studded, on my Souls, and have been happy with both. The Hankooks have much better wear, however. I'm now using them for their fourth winter. At this rate, they'll age out before they wear out.

My present strategy is to use the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, a 3PMSF-rated all-season, as my three-season tire; and switch to the studded winter tires once ice becomes a consideration. I live in a watershed area where they don't like to use salt, so ice patches are common. The WeatherReady tires perform very well in the snow. But on ice, I want studs.

My advice is that if you live in a cold climate and own a Soul, purchase decent winter tires or, at a minimum, 3PMSF all-season tires. The Soul with stock tires isn't the worst car I've ever driven in the snow; but it's not the best, either. With good winter tires, however, you should have no worries.

Richard

·
Registered
719 Posts

My present strategy is to use the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, a 3PMSF-rated all-season, as my three-season tire; and switch to the studded winter tires once ice becomes a consideration. I live in a watershed area where they don't like to use salt, so ice patches are common. The WeatherReady tires perform very well in the snow. But on ice, I want studs...

Richard
I put those tires on my 2015 last spring. We had 3 to 4 inches of snow the other day and I drove out of our neighborhood (up hill) without issue. If we stayed here (west MI) for the entire winter I would put on snow tires - we get a lot of lake effect snow here.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
The 2020 only launched last spring so I don’t think anyone has real winter experience with it yet?
You're right. Not a lot of winter experience yet. But, here in the Twin Cities, we've already had our second snowstorm and another is on the way. I drove a 2013 Base Soul with MT for seven years through Minnesota winters. It was our primary vehicle. We don't commute, though, so I don't drive until the plows have gone through. It made it through six of those seven winters on the original OEM tires. No accidents. No losses of control. Of course, I'm a careful winter driver, as is my wife. We just go where we need or want to go, and do so carefully.

Now, we have the 2020 LX with IVT. After the first two snow storms of this season, we've driven it a lot. It handles the snow, packed snow, and icy stuff better than the 2013 did. Again, we're on the OEM tires, inflated to KIA's recommended pressure. The car is doing fine, with careful driving and not driving through deep snow. We just don't do that. We wait for the plows to finish their work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If it works there in winter it’ll work anywhere!
As with most things though, and as you point out, the driver, restraint and and common sense play a bigger part.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
If it works there in winter it’ll work anywhere!
As with most things though, and as you point out, the driver, restraint and and common sense play a bigger part.
Technique is very important, too. My advice to people who haven't driven much in the snow is to start practicing in August by learning how to drive without brakes. It gets people used to being aware of and using the vehicle's momentum as a control method.

More accidents are caused by braking than anything else, including speed. Most folks have the good sense to slow down some in the snow. It's the brakes that get them in trouble. Braking while in a turn is a good way to wind up in a ditch.

Richard

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I put those tires on my 2015 last spring. We had 3 to 4 inches of snow the other day and I drove out of our neighborhood (up hill) without issue. If we stayed here (west MI) for the entire winter I would put on snow tires - we get a lot of lake effect snow here.

They're exceptionally good tires. If it weren't for the blasted ice, I'd probably leave them on all winter.

Richard

·
Registered
390 Posts
Is 2WD a limitation?
( politely) 2wd on any vehicle is no more limitation in snow than a 4 cylinder will prevent speeding on a clear day.
I would ask if you would be willing to share some of your previous like/dislike vehicles and experiences with them in particular.
For me personally the two instances I had to have help were both on tires that well past due.

·
Registered
719 Posts
( politely) 2wd on any vehicle is no more limitation in snow than a 4 cylinder will prevent speeding on a clear day.
I would ask if you would be willing to share some of your previous like/dislike vehicles and experiences with them in particular.
For me personally the two instances I had to have help were both on tires that well past due.
I've had many AWD cars and own an AWD Audi now (A8 sedan) as my other car. I won't say 2wd is a "limitation" because with good snow tires a 2wd car is very capable in the snow. But here in west MI we get some big snows. A few years back we got 115 inches in one season. I can literally drive my A8 thru a foot, or more, of snow. My last neighborhood was plowed by the county and last on their list. Many times the snow was bumper level and my Audi's (I had 2 back then) would literally plow snow to get out of our neighborhood. Of course awd doest help any when braking, but typically will go thru larger amounts of snow

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. New owner here and just found the Forum. I’ve always driven a truck, so its a bit of an adjustment back to FWD.
That said, we had a sudden deep snow around Metro Detroit. A few days later, I found myself going down a dirt road with a big hill. My 2020 Kia Soul 2.0L LX Manual lost traction about halfway up. I had to reverse down and wait for traffic to clear. The second time I got a more running start and kept my foot in the pedal. The ESP helped me a bot and we got up the hill.

I installed my General Altimax winter tires the next monday. We’ll see what happens in the next snow....

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've had many AWD cars and own an AWD Audi now (A8 sedan) as my other car. I won't say 2wd is a "limitation" because with good snow tires a 2wd car is very capable in the snow. But here in west MI we get some big snows. A few years back we got 115 inches in one season. I can literally drive my A8 thru a foot, or more, of snow. My last neighborhood was plowed by the county and last on their list. Many times the snow was bumper level and my Audi's (I had 2 back then) would literally plow snow to get out of our neighborhood. Of course awd doest help any when braking, but typically will go thru larger amounts of snow

Absolutely. AWD works way better for driving in deeper snow. My solution is just not to do that and wait for the plows to go through. Minneapolis and St. Paul generally get the main arterial streets snow free within 24 hours and the neighborhood streets at least passable within another 24 hours. So, I watch the weather and make sure I'm stocked up before each storm. Then, once the plows go through, the Soul works fine. I don't think I'd like it in deep snow at all, and probably won't even try. You know what's worse, though? My 1996 RWD Ford Ranger pickup. It will go, but not as nicely as the Soul. It helps if the bed of the truck is full of snow, though, which it is most of the winter. 😂

·
Registered
102 Posts
What are the thoughts on winter tyre based soul. Is 2WD a limitation? I mention base model because I want to understand capability of car as opposed to any cold weather package that might be standard in other trims. What MPG do you guys get in winter and fall seasons?
Where?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've lived in MN or WI my whole life and have never once driven a 4wd or awd vehicle. My last car before the Soul was rear wheel drive and that definitely was a problem in winter. Front wheel drive is lightyears ahead of that, but like CA, I certainly don't attempt to drive thru a foot of snow, I just stay home until they plow. I'm sticking with my oem tires, they work fine.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Absolutely. AWD works way better for driving in deeper snow. My solution is just not to do that and wait for the plows to go through. .
That's a good strategy, but 10 years ago I worked in an office and as I mentioned, it took days for the county to get thru. Eventually, those of us with snow blowers would clear the center of our cul-de-sac, but if the snow came over night, it was of to the office in the morning.

In the beginning of this century it wasn't a problem. The neighborhood was still new and being built so the developer plowed it, but that stopped around 2005.

·
Registered
476 Posts
That's a good strategy, but 10 years ago I worked in an office and as I mentioned, it took days for the county to get thru. Eventually, those of us with snow blowers would clear the center of our cul-de-sac, but if the snow came over night, it was of to the office in the morning.

In the beginning of this century it wasn't a problem. The neighborhood was still new and being built so the developer plowed it, but that stopped around 2005.

You might want to investigate a pooled hiring of a snow removal company to clear your cul-de-sac after every snow. You might be surprised how low the cost per home would be. On my street, if I get out early enough, I often use the snow blower to clear a 12' wide area in the street to allow easy backing out, and clear up the street about 60 feet in a 12' wide path. That keeps the snow plow from pushing a large windrow across my driveway. I've noticed that a couple of neighbors have started doing the same. Really, with a 24" snowblower, it only takes 6 passes to clear a 12' wide area.

I clear the bottom part of my driveway, where no cars are parked, starting from the center of the driveway, blowing the snow onto the lawns on both sides.it's a 24' wide shared driveway with my neighbor. Where it meets the street, I go farther out into the street on each pass, and turn to do the next pass up the driveway. Each pass takes another two feet out into the street. when the driveway's done, I have my turn out clearing in the street done. Then, when the driveway's done, I clear a 12' wide area 60' up the street to give the snowplow a break. Since I start in the center of the driveway, I don't have to adjust the blowing direction. Very easy.

My neighbors who have snowblowers are copying my strategy, so there are areas on our street that are completely cleared from curb to curb. It only adds about 20 minutes to my work. If everyone had a snowblower, we'd have a perfectly cleared street that wouldn't need plowing. That won't happen, though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts