Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for those of you who live in the Greater Houston area, you already know of the literal hell that is presently upon us in the form of a hailstorm/flash flood.

This is hands down the worst storm i've ever witnessed, and the first hailstorm i've EVER driven in.

I work in Sienna Plantation, and was on my way home from work at around 445-5p via 288 when it hit. At first, i just thought it was the blackest sky i've ever seen and that it was just rain. Wrong. Tiny hail turned into quarter sized hail once i got onto 610 s loop, east bound. The sound alone was terrifying, let alone the sight of the actual hail pounding on my car, and the street. The freeway was completely empty of cars (everyone was huddled under the overpass, which i later did until the water began to rise) and completely littered with little white balls. I was panicking expecting the hail to bash all of my windows in, and was on the verge of tears.

But, after countless detours (at one point ending up BACK on 288), driving through water up past my doors (several times), jumping numerous curbs, "offroading" through the thick, muddy, grassy hill on the side of 288 in order to reach the feeder and attempt to find a way home...i am home. I must say, had i been in anything smaller/lower, i'd still be stranded on the side of 288 right now. This thing is a little tank adn though reluctantly, performed well given the circumstances.

With that said, my car was making all sorts of funny noises, especially after driving through all of the water, not only underneath the freeway overpass, but my actual home street and street leading up to it. But, i pushed, and my little boy made it through. My brakes were making a sound very similar to those rivets on the sides of the freeway. Also, after driving through the water, there was a strange very high pitched sound coming from what seemed to be under my hood. But, my Soul didn't even want to go, it reluctantly drove, even after i reached higher ground. It felt as if there was a severe strain on the transmission, most likely due to driving it through such high water numerous times. This is not even including the potential hail damage, which i won't be able to really see until tomorrow morning when i pull it out of the the garage for a look in the sunlight.

So, to all of my seasoned drivers, what do you think could be wrong with my car? I plan on taking it to a shop to get looked at as a precaution. But in the meantime, is this as bad as i think it is? or is it just due to the water and it'll go away once it dries off and i "drive it off?"

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
First off condolences, but good that you made it home in one piece. I feel for your ordeal. I lived in Austin for a while and once when I lived in Santa Fe the sky was the blackest I've ever seen and then the hail was so big and thick it looked like snow on the ground in the middle of July!

If you have a leaf blower and a garage where you're out of it, I'd be blowing off water wherever you see it. Water damage is worst with sea salt water so that's one good thing, that it was only rainwater. As long as you weren't parked in it for an extended period you should be fine. What *would* concern me would be the hail damage. Somebody else on here will have to get a new roof welded on his car because it was so bad.

I hope it works out for you and again sorry you had to go through it!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your response, Darklight. I'm terrified to see what the sunlight will bring. My car is parked in the garage, which has lighting, but not bright enough to see the potential damage. The water is up our driveway and had begun seeping into our garage, but it's receding. So, hopefully things will clear up enough by tomorrow so i can pull it and give it a once over. I also scraped the underside of my car as i jumped off of 288 (the water had hidden the the raised portion of the road edge), and am also a bit nervous about that. I'm just fearing the worst, because my car was making the strangest sounds and was driving as if...well, as if i had just driven it through a river and a hailstorm. That sound the brakes made was what worried me the most. It sounded almost UNCANNILY like the noise those rivets on the highway shoulders make whenever you run off the road. It vibrated throughout the entire car.

I saw the thread about the person whose car sat out in a hailstorm, and also read that it was over 5k in damages...:( Hopefully, my damage isn't that bad, as i was moving (albeit slowly) while my car was getting pounded. Then again, i'm fearful that my white Soul will resemble a literal golf ball when i pull it out of my garage in tomorrow's sunlight. Fingers are crossed.

Thanks again. your words have reassured me a bit. :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
If there is Hail damage, might not work but try keeping it in the sun. My dad said one time he had that happen, parked it in the sun and he came out the next morning and POOF every single dent was gone. Depends on how deep the dents are i'm sure. Worth a try.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If there is Hail damage, might not work but try keeping it in the sun. My dad said one time he had that happen, parked it in the sun and he came out the next morning and POOF every single dent was gone. Depends on how deep the dents are i'm sure. Worth a try.
??? lol

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ SoulCollector, thank you as well. But, the way the rain is still pounding outside (the storm started at around 5p), i'm doubtful there will even be sun tomorrow. Hopefully this goes away overnight. If so, and there's enough sunlight, i'll try your trick!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ebonil;
That sounds like the storm that hit here in 2011. I just got home from grocery shopping and parked next to the porch steps to unload. The storm hit while is was putting things away and with hail stones the size of jumbo eggs there was no way I was going to move the car into the garage!

Yes it did look like a golf ball (white Kia Reo) but it did not go faster or get better mpg!!

There will be thousands in the same boat so don't expect body damage to be quickly repaired. I was 6 months getting a slot in the body shop! Also every "Fly by Night" Hail repair service will be setting up in mall parking lots all over town! Stay with local shops so you can take it back if not satisfied. They have a reputation to maintain and my car looked like new!!

Don't forget to have your home inspected for damage, roofs do not like hail storms.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The brake noise could have just been hail stones stuck around the caliper, etc. The squeal you heard was probably the accessory belt getting a bit wet. The other noises and lack of power are what I'd be concerned about. Engines don't like to ingest water...

Good luck to you. I've seen more hail in the last 3 years than most will see in a lifetime. I can sympathize.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I agree with fatabbot about the accessory belt doing the squeaking. As far as the brakes are concerned, when they get soaked like that, they do make a heck of a racket until you are able to get the car up to speed so you can hit the brakes to dry the pads off. I've had other vehicles that made a tiny bit of noise when the pads were wet, but nothing like the noise I get from these soul brakes. First time it happened to me (I had put the Soul away wet in the garage the day before),the noise scared the guano out of me. As I stopped at the end of my drive before pulling out onto the road, the brakes chattered like mad again and grabbed like I'd stomped the brake pedal to the floor. But just driving to the stop sigh 800' up the road and stopping eliminated the problem.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you guys for your help. but as of right now, in more worried about the hail damage. i decided to take a short drive to the gas station to get some gas, to dry my brakes out and air everything out to see how he's driving. the brakes were VERY tight and still making that vibrating noise as i a backed out of my driveway and started. but as i drove more, it went away completely. i was watching tons of debris fly out from inside my wheels and brakes as i was driving along.

but, once i got home, i parked it in the sunlight and surveyed the damage. I'm not happy. at all. i took some pics and ill be uploading them shortly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Sorry to hear EboniLM. Your best hope now is that they can be removed by a paintless dent guy that knows what he's doing.

Just a tip for others that might be faced with situations like this while driving. If at all possible, try to get to the closest gas station and sit under their pump cover island awnings until the worst of it passes.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^ That's exactly what i did. i exited off at the very first exit, and first hid under the overpass. once the water got up to my doors, i hightailed it out of there and parked underneath a gas station up on a hill until the hail stopped.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
^^ That's exactly what i did. i exited off at the very first exit, and first hid under the overpass. once the water got up to my doors, i hightailed it out of there and parked underneath a gas station up on a hill until the hail stopped.
Smart on your part. I'm sure that helped to minimize your damages. Sounds like you did the best you could under the circumstances.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are some images showing how high the water was, how high it was in relation to the rest of the vehicle, and the damage i've found so far. Mosquitos were tearing me up out there so i didnt stay outside for too long, but i'm going to give it another once over later once the sun changes position and see what other dents are revealed. some of the dents, you cant really see due to the angle. so, i tried to outline the area of the actual indentation in red. these things are much bigger than they appear in the photos. my bumper looks as if Thor literally took Mjolnir to it.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
Sorry to see the damage EboniLM, hail is one of my biggest fears here in Texas. Sometimes you just can't get away fast enough I've had to stop at an underpass before because of a hail storm. Best of luck with repairs! :)

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
EboniLM - sorry about your situation but at least your okay, anything else can be fixed. I had hail damage on my previous vehicle and it was all covered under insurance and when it was completed you couldn't tell anything happened to it.
What I did in my case, is that I put bits of masking tape on every dent I could find on the car and then took a pictures to show the insurance company. From that you could definitely see a pattern as to where it hit when it came down.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thank you conwelpic, the masking tape seems like good idea.

and yes branded, my brakes are fine now. the noise subsided completely after a little bit of driving. my car seems to be running smoothly again, no more grinding, hesitation, whining, etc.

i filed a claim with state farm, as soon as i got home from work yesterday, so now im just playing the waiting game. I'll keep you guys updated on estimates, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
129 Posts
Forgot to add that the squealing you heard from under the hood would be expected when the belts get wet and they slip on the pulleys.....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts