Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Had my soul serviced when 6month old due to a tricky website

5K views 76 replies 13 participants last post by  GeoSoul 
#1 ·
I am a relatively new owner of 19soul. I found a website (kisouman.com) claiming itself soul's maintenance manual.
It suggests first service to be done at 7500mi OR 6 MONTH.
however the user manual says service should be done every 7500mi or 12month, including the first one
I believed in the website and had my soul serviced when it was 6month old.
Recently it turns one year old and I took it to second service according to the website..
Now I realized the mistake of the website and got really worried. It also doesn't help that my car is low mileage.

What shall I do for the future services? I chose dealer's 7.5k package for my first service (it only had 2k...), and 15k package for second one (it now has only 4k mi).

Shall i keep following the packages path listed by dealer? They list 7.5, 15, 22.5, 30 etc which I interpret as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th services. The problem of that is my mileage won't be even close to those.
============================================================
Another concern: when I (finally) reviewed the owner's manual. it turns out that the climate control filter needs to be REPLACED every year. However, the dealer packages only include that in every other service (15k, 30k, etc). If I skip replacing climate control filter next year, would this affect it's warranty?

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome nanoporous!

You'll find a lot of helpful, friendly people here to answer questions about your new ride! To get the best out of these forums take a moment to read through the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.

Also be sure to fill out your Signature with the year/trim/mileage/add-ons of your Soul along with your location. (you can use my signature as an example) This will help us to immediately know some basic information about your car that you won't need to repeat–plus you can add a photo to show off your car. ?

As for your question I'll let others chime in on your maintenance scheduling concerns, but I encourage you to check & change both your cabin air filter and engine air filters yourself. The Soul make each filter incredibly easy to change yourself and the dealership is going to charge you an incredible markup on the filters and charge you labor. Each filter costs on average around $10 each at any auto parts store or on Amazon. You should also be checking each filter's condition, and changing it if it's dirty on an annual basis. Each filter takes less than 10 minutes to check & replace.

Here are a few videos showing how easy it is to change each filter yourself:

Enjoy the forums!

#9 ·
Thanks for the reply! I wasn’t sure what to do with those “inspection” items, is the common practice just ask the mechanics to check all the items on the list and then they would print out a certification of the inspection?
If i change cabin air filter on my own, how do I prove I did that so that I don’t lose warranty?

#6 ·
and also check to see if your driving conditions are "Normal" or "Severe" (a list of what they consider severe is listed in your owners manual) then follow that accordingly. You do not have to use a dealer for service, however if you don't make sure you keep full records and receipts of what is done in case it's called upon for warranty work.

the cabin air filter replacement can vary depending on the air quality in your area, some areas it might need to be replaced more often than what is suggested. I keep a spare and every six months just do a quick check and replace if required.

#13 ·
You do not have to use a dealer for service, however if you don't make sure you keep full records and receipts of what is done in case it's called upon for warranty work.

That's how it was with the last car that I owned that had a warranty. The dealership wants you to think they have to perform maintenance in order to validate your warranty, but anti-trust laws keep them from monopolizing vehicle services. So as long as you save your receipts and records from whomever maintains the car they, by law, cannot refuse you their warranty.

nanoporous, find a good shop to maintain your car (oil changes, tire rotations, etc.) and save your receipts and records. I personally would avoid places where auto servicing isn't their primary business, such as Walmart & Costco. Make sure the work receipts note the odometer mileage on each service visit and keep them all together in a book or folder. You should be fine.

Reactions: nanoporous
#7 ·
I think you're feeling like you are getting your car serviced too often, especially based on low mileage. I would agree with that sentiment.

#19 ·
yeah I should have scrutinized that! I was reviewing this article Is Kia's Warranty As Good As It Sounds? and misunderstood the words "in order to receive warranty service, owners are required to have their Kia serviced at an authorized Kia dealership. "
I believe it means when u do need the warranty you have to repair at dealer (of course that, every one agrees). But I misinterpreted as "you are required to have all of your Kia service history done at kia dealership".

Correct me if I am wrong, not native English speaker here.

#16 · (Edited)
Oil changes are a significant investment in your vehicle's well-being.
Please consider 5W30 synthetic at whatever interval you decide.

My local dealer prices for first change at 3K miles:
5W30 synthetic $9.20 x 4
26300-35505 oil filter $7.63
21513-23001 drain plug crush washer $1.16
Shop supplies (shop towels, etc) $2.33
Labor $15.53

Second oil change at 7K miles.

What % of the cost of the Soul is an oil change?

If you want to maximize the life of your engine, consider these suggestions:

1. Use 5W30 instead of 5W20 oil

2. Use synthetic oil

3. Use TopTier fuel

4. Pull and "read" spark plugs yearly

5. Check PCV for build-up and replace by ~50K miles

6. Check oil level minimum once a month

7. Change oil at intervals not to exceed 5K miles

#17 ·
I do agree it's a much better investment to go for better oil compared to paying extra for dealership! Especially it took me 40min to drive there. And I am not even sure if they put the best oil or not.

#21 ·
looks like I live in the most expensive area for oil change ($63 from mechanics or $80 from dealer) and tire rotation ($45 from mechanics or $60 from dealer), Cabin filter as high as ($ 80 from mechanics and $100 from dealer), considering move out of this area now.

#24 · (Edited)
Hey Nano,
Not that I'm encouraging you to move but this came in my email today;

$50 w/Mobile1 5w30
Dropped in an AEM filter for the engine & charcoal impregnated from Amazon, for the cabin.
Easy to do your own & check the duct work (always interesting to see what's been collected).

#23 · (Edited)
Quality oil and a filter is about $40 + labor

A year ago, traveling to Denver, an oil change at Big O (next door to hotel) was $58.74. 5 quarts synthetic Valvoline 5W30 and filter.

Back home, local independent shop was $56.72 for same. So, your $63 does not seem out of line.

Although I enjoy wrenching, living in a HOA, I do little with fluids at home.

#25 ·
Cabin filter should be <$20, depending upon where purchased.
Time to change maybe 10 minutes.
It is not a critical item, but worth at least checking once a year.
I replace engine air filter and cabin filter when my annual registration renewal arives in the mail.

#36 ·
Reactions: manfreity
#39 ·
I appreciate the freedom of individual transportation.
My parents did not allow me a bicycle until I was 12.
They were concerned that I would take off for parts unknown...which I did.
6+ miles to *Spahn's ranch...rode over some thorns, pushed the bike home, very late at night and learned the value of thicker thorn resisting tubes.
So, relability became important 60+ years ago.

*Where Charles Manson killed Shorty Shea along the Santa Susana Pass Road.
Used to go there later on to rent a horse in early sixties.
Encountered Manson once, when I was a teenager...he was weird back then.

#44 ·
I am a relatively new owner of 19soul. I found a website (kisouman.com) claiming itself soul's maintenance manual.
however the user manual says service should be done every 7500mi or 12month, including the first one
Recently it turns one year old and I took it to second service according to the website..
Now I realized the mistake of the website and got really worried. It also doesn't help that my car is low mileage.

What shall I do for the future services? I chose dealer's 7.5k package for my first service (it only had 2k...), and 15k package for second one (it now has only 4k mi).

Shall i keep following the packages path listed by dealer? They list 7.5, 15, 22.5, 30 etc which I interpret as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th services. The problem of that is my mileage won't be even close to those.
============================================================
Another concern: when I (finally) reviewed the owner's manual. it turns out that the climate control filter needs to be REPLACED every year. However, the dealer packages only include that in every other service (15k, 30k, etc). If I skip replacing climate control filter next year, would this affect it's warranty?
looks like I live in the most expensive area for oil change ($63 from mechanics or $80 from dealer) and tire rotation ($45 from mechanics or $60 from dealer), Cabin filter as high as ($ 80 from mechanics and $100 from dealer), considering move out of this area now.
I go to KIA and change oil every 5000. I did my trammy fluid, brake fluid, radiator fluid changes at 50,000 and will do again at 100,000. Next service I will change my PVC valve if it has one.

#46 ·
Completely hijacked. :ROFLMAO:

I moved into Chicago summer 1981 and got an apartment in Lincoln Park, near Armitage Ave and Lincoln Ave. Had a room mate who had moved out of a tiny apartment on Belden Ave nearby. We got to be friends with the live in manager of The Belden, who was a seriously wild and crazy dude. I mean manic depressive. His Mom and sister were both wacko too, but he was a lot of fun.

One day we were there for a back yard BBQ and the Tylenol guy was there. Not sure if he lived in The Belden or nearby. This was of course before he got busted. I don't remember much about him other than he came off as a Mr Know It All, BS artist type. Don't think I ever met him again, and we were shocked later when the news came out.

#50 · (Edited)
Completely hijacked. :ROFLMAO:

I moved into Chicago summer 1981 and got an apartment in Lincoln Park, near Armitage Ave and Lincoln Ave. Had a room mate who had moved out of a tiny apartment on Belden Ave nearby. We got to be friends with the live in manager of The Belden, who was a seriously wild and crazy dude. I mean manic depressive. His Mom and sister were both wacko too, but he was a lot of fun.

One day we were there for a back yard BBQ and the Tylenol guy was there. Not sure if he lived in The Belden or nearby. This was of course before he got busted. I don't remember much about him other than he came off as a Mr Know It All, BS artist type. Don't think I ever met him again, and we were shocked later when the news came out.

Interesting story, but there never was a person arrested for the Tylenol Murders, only suspects. One suspect lived in New York at the time of the murders and the other, Roger Arnold who lived nearby, was cleared. I'm not sure who it was that you labeled as the "Tylenol guy", but the Tylenol Poisionings case is still a famously open case. Maybe the guy at the BBQ was a suspect–maybe even someone the neighbors joked about being envolved–and you were told or heard otherwise?

#49 ·

Boy, do I ever understand your dilemma.
I first leased my 2016 Soul when it was brand new in 5/2016. I loved it, and at the end of my lease I purchased the vehicle.
The kicker: I'm a partially disabled senior citizen and drive very little -- mostly to grocery stores and medical appointments. My car is now almost four years old and has just 7,000 miles on it. And yet with that low mileage, the dealer contacts me every six month to tell me it's time for "service" -- oil change, inspection, tire rotation etc. I've argued with them over what seems to me to be preposterously having had my oil changed six times already in just 7K miles! They insist that it's not just the mileage, but the time between the oil changes. This seems to me to be more than a bit preposterous, but when I bring it up I'm told that the maintenance must be done for the vehicle warranty to be honored.
The dealer had included my first six oil changes -- along with the standard associated service -- so so far I'm not out any money for the frequent service. But now they're starting to contact me again about another oil change because it's been 6+ months since the last one. My every instinct tells me that this just isn't/can't be right.

#51 ·
I get the six month, automated emails also. I believe they are based on the average U.S. miles driven annually (6 mnths = 6,000+ miles).
I drive a little more than 3,500 miles annually & do my servicing annually.
My automated prescription due to refill reminders, are out of sync also (I can still count my pills).
Dumb automatons.

Reactions: manfreity
#53 ·
Denial of warranty for lack of service would need to be related to that lack of recommended service, not for CV joint on an axle or rear wheel bearing...

However, if a cam bearing fails and oil went 10,000 miles, was thick, black and low, warranty would very much be in question.

#57 ·
I always carry my notched, wood handled claw, on the right hip of my tool belt.

#64 ·
I thought my mileage is quite low, did you mean you would assume "severe driving condition"?
The manual mentioned that "repeatedly driving less than 5 mile" as severe condition, which actually is true for me: I drive about 4 times a week, each time for a short trip (< 5mile ) back and forth..

#65 ·
Although I am not sure how "repeatedly" driving less than 5mile is considered severe. Driving 3mile and stop and repeat 20 times a day? Or maybe even twice a day (which is what i do) would be "severe"?

#66 ·
The criteria for Kia to recommend 3750 miles/6 month oil change intervals is a - k in post 15.
Confirm that none of the others apply?
However, even if only "a", that is enough.

It does not take long for an engine to cool down sufficiently for water to blow out the exhaust.
When condendation is not removed by heat, it affects the oil, as does acid build-up.
If a $20,000 vehicle has a 10 year lifespan, with proper maintenance, that is a $2,000 per year "investment"; is it not worth spending another $50 a year tp protect that "investment"?

Both of my Sportsters had oil temperature gauges.
Riding from home to shop in SoCal was only 6.4 to 8.2 miles, depending upon the route.
Winter mornings, oil would only reach 155 F, perhaps 40 F ambient.
It takes at least 180 F, generally 190 F, to burn off condensation...and that is not instant.
Good reason to take a longer way home!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.