Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought in our 2017 Base with 8,000 miles for its first service at the dealer in April. No charge for an oil change and inspection. I noticed they recommend 5,000 mile oil changes on all 2013 post Kias and that they used Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic. The manual makes no note of synthetic vs. conventional and also recommends 7,500 mile services. I wonder if Kia has changed their recommendations or this is just my dealer's.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
I change my oil at 5000 miles also.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Please folks make meaningful posts to help the OP as much as possible.

Thank you!

Reactions: pnoman

·
Registered
600 Posts
We have a 2013 Soul Base 1.6 (basically the same engine) and the manual does call for oil/filter changes at 7,500 miles. Us old-timers (yes, me included) feel that is stretching it for conventional oil, but apparently KIA is comfortable with that. Me, personally, I do my own changes with synthetic oil at 5,000 miles. Why 5K? So it's easy for me to remember when the next oil change is due. LOL 70K, 75K, 80K 85K, etc. Plus, if a trip takes me a little over 5K, I'm not concerned.

If you ask 100 people, you will get 101 (or more!) opinions on this subject. Best rule of thumb is to keep it under the KIA recommendation so your warranty is intact.

BTW, you can find several earlier threads on this topic by typing in "oil change interval" in the 'Google Custom Search' box in the upper right. You will probably find weeks worth of reading there.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
If the manual denotes 7,500 intervals with conventional oil and filter then it would be safe to say synthetic would be safe for at least that long and of course longer.
How long "longer" is, is a matter of comfort level and/or technical analysis.
Since few will likely analize their oil the F.G.F. (Feel Good Factor A.K.A. comfort level) will supersede all.
Of course, simply playing it safe and following manufacturers recommendations won't steer you wrong either.

·
Registered
656 Posts
^ The manual does NOT say "conventional"!

Also, in the light of the newly raised issues with the DI engines and their intake valves, the direction of using synthetic oil (lower NOACK) and for lower miles (5000) is absolutely correct.
The manual does not say anything about that, but of course it does not say anything about a class-action lawsuit either. The dealers have probably received instructions to avoid future damage to the image of the DI engines.

The older PI engines can have their oil changed still at 7500 miles, but in this day I would never use a "conventional" oil in my car - the "economy" of some $10 it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Sonic said: "The older PI engines can have their oil changed still at 7500 miles, but in this day I would never use a "conventional" oil in my car - the "economy" of some $10 it's just not worth it."

Perhaps those still stuck in the "conventional" oil era are also stuck in the 3k oil change era as well?
When you catch a periodic sale at WallyWorld, full synthetic actually is about the same
(sometimes even cheaper) than conventional oils.
I caught a periodic mobil 1 sale and paid with a new WallyWorld card on 2-5qt jugs.
Final cost:$0.00, nada, zero, zilch, goose-egg!
Time your purchases right and the wide world of lubricants is yours for the asking!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I very recently took my new (to me) 2015 Kia Soul ! into the dealer to fix the oil leak that the previous dealer had caused (not tightening the drain plug appropriately) and at that time they told me that they recommend 5000 mile oil changes for all Kias in the Seattle area. They said it was because of our heavy, stop and go traffic whether it be on side streets or congested freeways counts as "Severe Driving Conditions" - periods of "prolonged idling". My manual states that driving in "Severe Conditions" one should change their oil & filter every 3750 miles or 6 months so 5000 miles seems very reasonable to me.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
When I bought mine new in 2012 the dealership gave me a free oil change and recommended it be done at 3000 mies.
I'm sure he did!
I'm surprised dealers don't recommend every 1k miles when they are the ones doing the oil changes.
Ever notice how oil change maintenance intervals seem to be extended when the oil changes are for free?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was wondering if 5K was now an official Kia recommendation or just my dealers. That's why I posted it. 7,500 actually seemed pretty long to me but the manual does state 7,500.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
That has to be Dealer Option.
When I bought my Soul, they gave me three FREE oil changes, and I got them at 3k intervals. I've maintained that same 3k interval ever since, and I do my own oil change.

When I drove Company (Lease) cars, years ago, they always insisted that we change the oil every 3k miles. Worked great for them, and it works great for me. MY Kia service manager has congratulated me for doing GREAT maintenance on my car.

I wish we didn't have to re-discuss this week after week!

:cool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
My dealer gives my car free oil changes for life! As a ride share driver, I am there once a month. Bought car new 04/26/18 now has 18k !

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm sure he did!
I'm surprised dealers don't recommend every 1k miles when they are the ones doing the oil changes.
Ever notice how oil change maintenance intervals seem to be extended when the oil changes are for free?
That was just for the first one, then follow owners manual recommendations.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My stealer uses synthetic blend oil and recommends changing at 7500 miles. I download the coupon and do it at 5000 for 40.00. Gotta love it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a 19 Soul a month ago. I was given a coupon, for a free oil change inspection at 3000 miles. I believe after that it is 7500 miles change schedule. I will probably do it at 5000.

My dealer gives free car washes and vacuum, when a new car is purchased. I only live 3 miles away, so its an easy drive for the wash. I'm wondering if I'm expected to tip the employee for the wash. So far I havent.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,415 Posts
I bought a 19 Soul a month ago. I was given a coupon, for a free oil change inspection at 3000 miles. I believe after that it is 7500 miles change schedule. I will probably do it at 5000.

My dealer gives free car washes and vacuum, when a new car is purchased. I only live 3 miles away, so its an easy drive for the wash. I'm wondering if I'm expected to tip the employee for the wash. So far I havent.
My dealer posted a sign in the lobby saying they have suspended FREE car washes due to environmental concerns. Huh? It doesn't bother me because they never offered me free car washes in the first place, and second, I don't trust anyone else to wash my car, and never run it through an automated car wash.

My friends automatic up/down antenna in his 4Runner just got mangled last week in one of those sudsy house of horrors :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts