Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just got a 2016 Soul + with the Audio upgrade but it doesn't thump enough, I'd like to get a sub put in but my last one from my civic was stolen so I'm hesitant to have something you can see through the back window, also trunk space is limited. I've seen options for a spare tire sub box for a few hundred to $700 online and just am unsure if it's worth it or if there is a better way. Any suggestions on if it's worth spending a few hundred dollars to have a car audio place build a custom box in the spare tire area is worth it or not, I have a feeling it's not but not sure of a better way. Thanks for "listening". Cameo

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Bass tube in the trunk . Need the extra space for a load just unplug it and put in on the floor behind your front seat ! Mine is an 8" and I now keep the bass set at negative 3 and it thumps hard . IMG_2819.jpg In this location you cannot see it from the outside .

·
Registered
303 Posts
Congrats on your new 2016 +, I just purchased one too... (drop by my garage) Would love to see pics and maybe some of those mod ideas that are keeping you up at night too.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The way my car came from the dealer, the sound was pretty generic with minimal bass. Some would even call it Wimpy.
So I went into 'Setup' and turned the midrange and bass up to 100% and then turned ON the Extended Bass.

Now I've got all the bass that I can stand, and I do like a good bass note. It was there all the time, I just
had to make the adjustments to 'Turn It Loose'.
It also helps to throw most of the audio power to the rear speakers.

Just a thought,

:cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
They do have those cargo covers which would conceal anything in the back. I'm working on building myself an enclosure for two 12s.nothing too high powered. Just for a little extra thump... And to annoy my local senior citizens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally have a 15 soul base. I Designed my system to be complete drop in (nothing custom made) and I wanted everything hidden. My soul does not have a spare. I relocated the tire inflation/repair kit from the spare tire location to the glove box.

Under the rear floor is a foam storage tray. Under the tray is the spare tire cavity. Here is my solution

Parts list

Jl audio microsub 8 in non powered (Amazon about 250)

Rockford Fosgate 5 channel r600x5 prime (amazon about 232)

Polk audio 6.5 in separates db6501 (amazon about120) you didn't ask about door speakers but this is what I have installed. So this is optional

The amplifier come with plugs that can wire into the factory system and bass knob so you can adjust the bass (nice feature)

The setup

I mounted the amplifier down in the spare tire cavity

The jl 8 inch microsub was mounted in the middle compartment of the foam tray firing down into the spare tire cavity ( yes you have to cut a hole in the foam tray for the speaker grill to fit in). By doing this you essentially turn the speaker and entire cavity into a band bass box. There are other small details about my setup that I can show in photos. My system is completely hidden and I will say sounds amazing. The few people that have heard my system are blown away that I only have a single 8 in subwoofer all of them thought I had a pair of 10 in subs.

A not so wise alternative buy the jl microsub 8 inch PLUS which is amplified. I installed one in a coworkers car in the same spot. The problem was the amp would shut down because there was no air to vent the amp mounted in the foam cavity. The other problem was the stock stereo didn't keep up with the sub. It truly was a good concept in theory but it didn't work. In the end she had to put the sub on the floor firing towards the trunk. (Not hidden) and she had to buy another amp to power the door speaker so it would match the sub. Powered sub was 399 on amazon and the 2nd amp alpine ktp44u was another 120. The good thing is the coworker was the guinea pig and when I designed my system I learned from her mistakes.

Hope this will help

·
Registered
6 Posts
The first pic all buttoned up. 2nd pic sub in foam storage 3rd pic what sub looks like. 4th pic hole in foam storage 4th pic where the amp is installed

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts