Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is inspired by the CD slot mount thread. I like that mount but it blocks the UVO screen, and it sits a bit too low for me for GPS.

Then I found the Exogear Exomount, which has a special suction cup that will let you stick it on uneven dash plastic. I especially like the clamp design that could hold phone/GPS of different sizes.

It's pretty good for $20 (lowest price I've found is $17 shipped) But being the cheap ass that I am, I figured I'll see if I can find something similar for cheaper. And by combining 2 eBay listings, I've recreated the Exomount for $8
Generic clamp phone mount $3.05 - it looks exactly like the Exomount, but without the special suction cup.
Sticky Pad $4.99 - removable gel pad, the same material the Exomount suction cup is made from. I've had it since my last car, it worked ok with my old dash plastic, but would lose suction after a while. But sticks very well in the Soul.

The cover for the front storage bin is the perfect place for it. It's high enough so you can use the phone as GPS and don't have to take your eyes completely off the road, and it's close enough to the USB port so you can charge your phone without having cable run all over your dash/steering wheel.

car mount 1.jpg car mount 2.jpg car mount 3.jpg car mount 4.jpg car mount 5.jpg

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ If you are gonna use it as GPS, you probably don't want to mount it too low; that takes your eyes off the road for too long when you are checking the screen.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do you think it would work in another position if you didn't have the door on that storage compartment?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ How about this spot?
kia-soul-4.jpg

I got dash protectant applied to my dash so I can't test it for you (the sticky pad won't stick to the protectant) but it should work fairly well.

Or you can try to put it on the more rubbery part of the dash, but my guess is that it's not even enough for the sticky pad to stick well. Worst case scenario, you can always stick the mount on your windshield.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ryocho, I got the Exomount based on your recommendation and it works great. I bought the one with the sticky pad on it already ($18) and stuck it on the upper bin door. The door still opens and closes fine even with the weight of my galaxy S2 on it.
Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts