Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been researching GPS/GSM (cellular based) anti-theft tracking systems.

Anyone have any experience with the diferent types of systems that are out there?

LoJack coverage is not in my area, plus they are a bit on the expensive side. Theft of vechicals is a problem (off and on ) around my area and areas that I travel to. Even though I have a very complete alarm system (with starter cut off), I'm looking for that extra protection to be able to track my Soul down if it's ripped off.

I have ordered a system from Brickhouse security and going to try it out (should arrive next week), but I'm just curious if any one else has any input? Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the other option is a savage alsation in the passenger seat!
That would work ...LOL. May have to up my liability insurance though. One of those would scare away any potential theft of the car or anything inside.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Given the recent news article about the boy who tracked down the stolen IPAD using an app that tracked the device's signature when hooked to a WIFI, 3G or 4G network, it would seem that there is a credible alternative. If you get a cheap cell phone, enable GPS on it, and hardwire it into the car at some point if the auto were stolen, it would relatively easy to track it down. All the semis today are equipped with such devices so there must be a small, but developing and inexpensive market for such things.

And it would not be any more expensive than a dog, food, rabies shots, and tags, not to mention all the clean up of dog poop.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given the recent news article about the boy who tracked down the stolen IPAD using an app that tracked the device's signature when hooked to a WIFI, 3G or 4G network, it would seem that there is a credible alternative. If you get a cheap cell phone, enable GPS on it, and hardwire it into the car at some point if the auto were stolen, it would relatively easy to track it down. All the semis today are equipped with such devices so there must be a small, but developing and inexpensive market for such things.

And it would not be any more expensive than a dog, food, rabies shots, and tags, not to mention all the clean up of dog poop.
Good idea :). Since I'm going to TRY to install a andriod tablet/cel phone in the dash (see Soul gets an Andriod thread). I might as well " kill two birds with one stone" and try to see if there is a good andriod app to track the Soul. Just would need to make sure the power was always on and the app would run covertly in the background. No sense paying for two sim data plans for the car.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

PS - also don't really want to clean dog poop in my Soul :)...lol.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good idea :). Since I'm going to TRY to install a andriod tablet/cel phone in the dash (see Soul gets an Andriod thread). I might as well " kill two birds with one stone" and try to see if there is a good andriod app to track the Soul. Just would need to make sure the power was always on and the app would run covertly in the background. No sense paying for two sim data plans for the car.
Using Android you could run Google Latitude, or Lookout. Both are free, you can log onto a website to see the location, with Lookout you can sound an alarm on your phone/tablet that would probably get pretty annoying to anyone who steals your car.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Using Android you could run Google Latitude, or Lookout. Both are free, you can log onto a website to see the location, with Lookout you can sound an alarm on your phone/tablet that would probably get pretty annoying to anyone who steals your car.
Thanks - I will try the apps out once I get the new tablet/cel all charged up and decide which sim to use.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone that has installed the aftermarket Soul Andriod speaker cover/bezel had issues with mismatched colors? I'm working on installing the kit/android tablet in my Soul, but i just noticed that the kit is a silver grey color and the dash is a slightly darker grey... Not sure if I'm being too picky but I emailed the kit seller about the color difference. Just curious on any one else's experience with the Android installs.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Installed the GPS/AGPS/Cellular tracking device in my Soul today. Seems to work pretty well. Great integration with Ipad and Google earth with real time tracking. It will send me a text/email if my car leaves a certain radius, moves at certain times during work or at night. I will see how it goes. Nice peace of mind to know that I can track my Soul down if someone snags it....

Screen Shot of the interface: 4-24-2012 7-23-33 PM.jpg

Still working on my Andriod install.... What can I say...I love electronic gadgets.

·
Premium Member
2015 Kia Soul + / Bright Silver / 2.0L (GDI) 4-Cyl Engine 6-Speed Automatic Trans
3,005 Posts
Has anyone that has installed the aftermarket Soul Andriod speaker cover/bezel had issues with mismatched colors? I'm working on installing the kit/android tablet in my Soul, but i just noticed that the kit is a silver grey color and the dash is a slightly darker grey... Not sure if I'm being too picky but I emailed the kit seller about the color difference. Just curious on any one else's experience with the Android installs.
There are two color combos in the Soul. The 2009 and early 2010 had a darker grey with a silver stripe going through the radio/air conditioning controls. The later 2010 and 2011 the colors are reversed with silver with a dark grey stripe.

NOW if you are talking about a 2012 or 2013 I have no idea and think you should ask the seller.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'd prefer the system that I saw in a movie years ago that electrocuted the thief in the drivers seat when he attempted to hotwire the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts