Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just on my way to the post office to mail the Note 3 back to T-Mobile for an exchange - I thought I would try out my older Samsung S3 on the way there with google maps navigation and the same thing happened - no voice but the map was there and followed where you were going. As soon as I disconnect the phone from the car's Bluetooth the voice returns for google maps. I was at the kia dealer and a sales person tried google maps with his phone and it worked with his phone connected to the Bluetooth and sound through the car sound system. I have been to the tmobile store (no help) best buy store to have the phone reflashed (per conversation with Samsung customer service)

Does anyone know if it's the car settings - maybe reset the sound system to factory? - or a setting on the phone? :think

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Have you tried having the cars stereo's (you didn't say which one you have) mode on Bluetooth media? That is the only way anything audio, voice, music, notifications will ever play over the car stereo.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the factory base soul sound system. The other strange thing is -when I'm having a conversation on the phone (paired with Bluetooth) google maps voice would work. (coming through the car audio) The sales person at kia tried it while the car radio was playing and the radio cut out while voice from google maps came on - after the radio returned. The sales person had an i4 phone.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I have the factory base soul sound system. The other strange thing is -when I'm having a conversation on the phone (paired with Bluetooth) google maps voice would work. (coming through the car audio) The sales person at kia tried it while the car radio was playing and the radio cut out while voice from google maps came on - after the radio returned. The sales person had an i4 phone.
Sounds to me like the phone is having a problem.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The sales person at kia tried it while the car radio was playing and the radio cut out while voice from google maps came on - after the radio returned. The sales person had an i4 phone.
If you ARE in Bluetooth mode and still have the problem, it really could just be the phone. My Galaxy Nexus would act differently almost every time I updated my ROM on it (with my last car)... the Google Maps voice would work, then it wouldn't with the next ROM update, then it would work again the next time I updated. I will try mine in the Soul the next time I think of it. I have the Nav system so I haven't needed Google Nav anymore.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I realize this is a VERY late reply but the issue is that Google Maps voice navigation is sent through the media portion of the Bluetooth connection. When you connect your phone to the car two connections are made, phone and media. The phone connection is what allows you to place and receive calls, media is what allows you to stream music from your phone to the radio.

The voice navigation uses this media connection as well, think of it as having headphones plugged into your phone.

The simple solution, IF you don't use media streaming to the radio that often, is to go into the Bluetooth setting for the soul on the phone and uncheck the media connection. This will allow you to use the phone as hands free and still hear the voice navigation call out when you need it. BUT keep in mind this will use the speaker on your phone so you need to be able to hear it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts