Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone. Can anyone draw from personal experience and comment on what performance parts I can pick up to give my 1.6L Soul a boost in HP? I am looking to drop around USD 650-850 on this project with hopefully a 15-20HP gain.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,100 Posts
Intake and exhaust is a good starting place....

SSD Performance's true COLD AIR INTAKE (CAI) for the Kia 1.6L Soul is here! We fabricate these out of heavy steel tubing then powder coat it in a durable gloss black. Included is a reusable, high flow Accel Kool Blue cotton air filter and all necessary hardware for a quick and easy installation. This looks great on the car, sounds good and will free up HP and MPG too. I own and drive a 1.6L Soul daily and I can tell you that you will notice difference in resposniveness and pick up about 1.0 MPG too! If you add an axle back exhaust or even a cheap turbo muffler like I did, the gains will be even better. Installation is EASY with no modifications necessary and it just takes minutes to switch this out for your stock airbox. Incudes all necessary hardware and installation instructions. Just $139 AND you get your choice of either red or silver "SSD" logo decal too!

SSD Performance

KIA SOUL STAINLESS STEEL AXLE BACK 1.6L/2.0L
DESIGNED TO IMPROVE THE ALREADY QUICK RESPONSE OF THE KIA SOUL, DOUG THORLEY HEADERS INTRODUCES A STAINLESS STEEL AXLE BACK SYSTEM THAT INCREASES HORSEPOWER AND GAS MILEAGE WHILE ADDING THAT SPORTY TONE TO THE EXHAUST. YOUR CUSTOM SOUL IS NOT COMPLETE WITHOUT THIS. MADE IN THE USA

https://www.dougthorleyheaders.com/products/productID/1053

·
Registered
728 Posts
I am looking to drop around USD 650-850 on this project with hopefully a 15-20HP gain.
Hate to say it, but this just will not happen.....

That's a very large gain for an engine only pumping ~120 bhp. An intake and exhaust probably won't even get you halfway.

Still worth trying, though :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I put the SSD cold air intake and the thorley exhaust on my 1.6 base and noticed it had more pep.

Not sure how much horse power gain but you will notice it.

A new header would help but haven't seen one yet other than a $900 one from a korean company

·
Registered
136 Posts
thats right you shoulda bought a 2.0l you have you 20hp right there :p... you'll be lucky if you get 5hp with your cold air or muffler

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your engine is NA (naturally aspirated) and it sucks air. It has to suck air through the intake as well. The idea is that with a bigger straighter pipe, you suck more air, and get more HP.

Unfortunately, you have got to be severely restricted already (e.g., tons of bugs, dirt, and leaves over your present air filter) or alternatively, you have to have the engine spun up so fast and sucking air so hard that it is restricted by the OEM intake.

If your airfilter is blocked, spend $15.00 and get a new one. As for the second example, your car will only run at max RPM that last moment before you shift. You may see a marginal gain when going flat out, but there is no bloody way you are going to see a 15-20BPH gain. That's over 10% on a 122 engine. And I'm not even sure if the 122 is at the crank or the wheels. Maybe somebody else knows.

Anyway, you are gonna spend big money to get a little gain.

Other places to spend money for very little return: Larger headers, larger exhaust, cat-bypass, etc.

These can all be done, but on a 122hp engine, your gains are not going to be huge.

If you want to really boost power, you need to look at FI (forced induction) such as a turbo or a supercharger. Or, you need to look at more aggressive internals. Cams, pistons, rods, crank, etc.

There are shops around that do this sort of thing. You are going to be looking at $4-6K for a blower system, either TC or SC. On the lower end if a "bolt-on kit" has already been worked out for the car. Higher end if you need somebody to handle mapping and tuning your ECM.

Better Internals are gonna run you around the same, but fewer places will do it since it is more difficult to engineer the total solution. E.g., you require many moving parts internal to the engine versus some off the shelf parts with some custom EMC mapping, injectors, maybe a fuel pump. But again, there are race shops that will do this.

Do one of the above, and then you will get some serious gains out of a fatter exhaust system, headers, and a big fat intake. Any blower kit will have an intake kit already because one end will be on the blower output leading direct to the intake manifold.

Neither will be cheap, but anything can be done. It gets addictive though, and before you know it, you are looking to go bigger, faster, etc.

Also, each is asking for problems ... for example, I just broke the crankshaft on a supercharged engine about a month ago. Now I have a bunch of engine bits in my garage, and I'm looking at an expensive and time-consuming repair.

But if you do it ... HOLY SMOKES IT IS BLOODY FUN!

Okay ... my rant is over. Not sure what started that!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A good starting point.

Hey everyone. I thought I would post an update on my final decision.

I ended up taking my car to a custom tuner shop that specializes in tuning, exhaust and hand fabricated internals. I am now hooked up with a custom intake with a K&N filter in place on the factor air box. I wanted to steer clear of a CAI because I live in an area where it rains ALOT.

The next step is getting an aggressive tune to try and squeeze some extra hp out of the engine. But before I do that I wanted to get a poll from everyone regarding a Water / Methanol Injection system from AEM. I would like anyone who has past experience or a good knowledge of the topic to feel free and post any input you have.

The tuner shop insists that it would run no risk to my engine if I have proper fail-safe gauges installed. I am not a pro but by my estimate I think that by installing the kit I could have my car up to where I wanted it to be. I will be posting some pics of my new intake and other installs when they happen. I am also going to run my car on the dyno before and after my tune to see how much my new intake helps. I would guess around a 2 hp gain with the intake and another 7hp with an aggressive tune.

Thanks for the awesome input!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have to ask a question, and I'm honestly curious and not being an ass. I'm curious as to why you are spending money on a 1.6 liter engine with a custom intake, a K&N filter, and an aggressive tune from a tuning shop. That has to cost quite a bit of money (unless you have a friend at the shop.) All for a 7hp gain. Are you going to be racing it? I guess I'm having trouble finding the logic behind it.

With my experience with a water/methanol injection system, it does improve your engine's efficiency. The problem is it will completely void your engine warranty due to the fact that it will wreak havoc on your emissions systems. However, your tuning shop may have disabled all of that already. You will have to watch your exhaust temps though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
cai or ram air, either way you dont have to worry about the rain, unless you submerge your front end in a foot and a half of water, you WILL NOT vapor lock your car. especially if you keep the filter clean and use filter oil on it ever oil change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts