Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am waiting on the arrival of a 2016 Soul SX Luxury model but have one outstanding question which no one has been able to 100% answer for me.

Is the "leather" interior genuine leather, or is it synthetic? My Kia rep knows this question could be a deal breaker for me and stated it's vinyl synthetic from his online searching, I called the 1800 KIA number and the lady stated she believes it's synthetic but could not guarantee it, and my online research has come up empty.

How do I find out if the interior is genuine or not? I have about 8 days until the car in question arrives so hopefully I can find out before then!

Thanks in advance for any help guys!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
I have the leather interior on my new 2016 SX, from what I understand the seats are a combination of both depends on the part of the seat. Maybe if I smell it I might tell if there is a difference. Also I believe you can test for real leather by pressing on it.

Just went out and checked, based on the pressing I would say the surface is leather but the back of the seat isn't, the armrest certainly isn't, that's just regular vinyl.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Emmy90: welcome to the House of Soul! I hope, regardless of the genuineness of your leather, you enjoy your new ride! :encouragement:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Do not know about Souls sold in Canada but in the U.S.,if the vehicle is sold with LEATHER.
It means real leather.
I agree with conwelpic's assesment though. Vehicles in the Soul's price category may have
leather "seating surfaces". The sides etc are done in a matching vinyl.

Furthermore,the quality of leather used may not be the best.
But it is leather.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
there is many different grades of leather, like Nappa leather for example which is available is some of the higher end KIA's but this would not be the case in the SX Luxury.

·
Registered
320 Posts
you know.. I kinda want to check to see if my seats are actually leather now. Only reason I didn't get Nappa Leather is because I didn't like the coloring of it. Lol so is the level below pleather?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hello Emmy and welcome to the Soul forums.
If the seats are not fully leather it should state that in the sales literature.
Some seats were faux leather centres to allow better breathing .
The leather on the seats may vary in type and the treatments different areas of the seat receive.
The back and centre of base probably appear different from side bolsters .
The main scuffing happens in the side bolsters and there will probably be a different leather there and that may be treated different from other parts of the seat.
The standard leather seats are normally synthetically treated to help keep smart as long as possible this will not allow the creams to soften the leather until wear occurs.
The cars are designed to last 7 years and minimum maintenance for 100k miles so the standard seats are designed accordingly.
I see different leather seats available in US I take it they are top quality leather not synthetically treated they look gorgeous, but if not cared for will deteriorate fast.
The care of maintenance sections will indicate treated leather.
You can go on Kia website Owners section and find information there and you should be able to download owners handbook as well in Canada.
Read all you can about warranty and PDI so you are prepared for smooth handover of car. Cars great Dealers mixed.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Ah! The great leather debate...
Who among you is of the age to remember Ricardo Montalban hawking for Chrysler,
Corinthian("rich") leather?
Actually,this was the mix I mentioned. Leather tops,vinyl sides.
All kinds of leathers out there. The Brit Connolly is one of my favs.
It seems that the types have to do with different processing of the hides etc.
Never liked the leather in the early German cars. Were as hard as a rock.

At any rate,keep in mind,leather is nice. Many smell good too. But,leather has to be maintained.
Needs moisture via a conditioner at some point or it will crack.
Don't think this is much of a concern anymore as many vehicle owners do not keep the ride more than
3 years or so. Yours truly keeps e'm a bit longer. My 350 Z is now 13 years old. Of course,keep it
up pretty well. It has leather(seating).Sort of a goldish orange similar to what Ferrari and others used.
They call it,burnt orange. The driver's seat has a few small wear cracks. Not overly visable though.
Passenger seat looks brand new. The color a bit faded from the years. Overall,not the best quality
leather(again,that Connolly is fantastic!)but for the OEM price, not bad.
You open the door,the smell seems like you are in a ladies handbag.

Ah,leather!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The leather in the KIA is indeed a mixture of leather and vinyl as is most cars. The center seating and back rest panels are genuine leather the rest is vinyl.
As for the Connolly leather referenced by Southsoul, that is reserved for the Rolls and Bentley crowd. The cows are raised in an environment where there is no chance that the hide will sustain any damage like cuts and scrapes. I heard of how many skins are used to do a Rolls, I forget the number but it is high. All other cars get progressively lower grades of leather. You could easily increase the price of a soul by at least another third if Connolly leather was used.

Pat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for all the amazing responses! I haven't checked on for a little bit of time now and figured I should update on my findings:

It took countless calls to Kia Canada to finally find someone qualified to answer my question and the answer was.. the part you actually sit on is leather, the surrounding is vinyl (as most suggested). I'm all about the animals and won't purchase leather so I unfortunately had to let my Soul go to another buyer but since then have found an amazing 2014 Soul with cloth interior and some snazzy upgrades from the original owner! :D

Pictures to be posted soon! Thanks again everyone :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
The leather in the KIA is indeed a mixture of leather and vinyl as is most cars. The center seating and back rest panels are genuine leather the rest is vinyl.
As for the Connolly leather referenced by Southsoul, that is reserved for the Rolls and Bentley crowd. The cows are raised in an environment where there is no chance that the hide will sustain any damage like cuts and scrapes. I heard of how many skins are used to do a Rolls, I forget the number but it is high. All other cars get progressively lower grades of leather. You could easily increase the price of a soul by at least another third if Connolly leather was used.

Pat.
I just spent $2000 to get REAL Leather in my 2021 turbo. It’s a shame you can’t buy this ON the car. Katskin.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts