Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Thanks FL. I think I'll check my air filter more often, especially seeing the size of & how much stuff it vacuums up into the air box. The engine seems to idle a little smoother since I swapped out the air filter too.

No snow yet, but might get a little in the mountain passes this weekend.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks FL. I think I'll check my air filter more often, especially seeing the size of & how much stuff it vacuums up into the air box. The engine seems to idle a little smoother since I swapped out the air filter too.

No snow yet, but might get a little in the mountain passes this weekend.
Minnesota is considered severe use, as well. The thing is that my wife and I put about 7500 miles on a car every year. That's it. So, my oil changes are at either 6 months or 3750 miles. Actually, I schedule them at 3500, just because it's easier to remember. Anyhow, they're about every six months. We're going to keep the 2020 until the bumper-to-bumper warranty runs out and the payments are all made. Then, we're going to trade it in on another brand new Soul, if KIA stiill makes one 5 years from now. If not, probably a brand new AWD Seltos. With that in mind, I paid for 10 services, with a tire rotation ever other service when we bought the car. It was considerably less than paying for the services at the time of service at the dealer shop.

That way, I just drive it in first thing in the morning on the day I want the service, sit in the waiting room for about an hour, and drive the car home, with a free carwash tossed in, like the dealer does everything the car comes into the shop. No appointment required. You just drive in and drive away.

So, when we trade the car, it will have something like 35,000 miles on it. That should get me a top trade-in allowance on the next KIA. At my advanced age and fixed income, that bumper-to-bumper warranty looks awfully good. Our previous Soul, a 2013 base was the very first new car I had ever owned. We kept it seven years, which I regret because the trade-in value wasn't what I would have liked. Next time, in it goes as a trade at 5 years.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have never went back to the dealer since I bought the car but I change my oil every 3000 miles. Was I supposed to go back for some kind of check up to avoid losing my warranty?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I have never went back to the dealer since I bought the car but I change my oil every 3000 miles. Was I supposed to go back for some kind of check up to avoid losing my warranty?
No you're fine as long as you can provide receipts for the oil & filter & record mileage.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Geo,
I just checked with K&N, and they still don't make an Engine Air Filter for the 2020 Soul. Arggg!
So I just take out my OEM filter and knock the junk out of it, every few weeks. Only takes a few seconds and costs nothing.

Season's Greetings!
:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Minnesota is considered severe use, as well. The thing is that my wife and I put about 7500 miles on a car every year. That's it. So, my oil changes are at either 6 months or 3750 miles.
Yes, I just figured this out as well, since I finally got around to looking at my owners manual for the 1st time today. MN definitely falls under their "severe" definition. So it's every 3750 miles or 6 months. No way am I going to spend the money on synthetic oil at those intervals.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Yes, I just figured this out as well, since I finally got around to looking at my owners manual for the 1st time today. MN definitely falls under their "severe" definition. So it's every 3750 miles or 6 months. No way am I going to spend the money on synthetic oil at those intervals.
With Wally Worlds periodic sales, Mobil 1 is very close to conventional oil in price.
I would think stable viscosity would be beneficial during MN winter months?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Geo,
I just checked with K&N, and they still don't make an Engine Air Filter for the 2020 Soul. Arggg!
So I just take out my OEM filter and knock the junk out of it, every few weeks. Only takes a few seconds and costs nothing.

Season's Greetings!
Do not over oil that K&N your throttle body and mass air will suffer for it, and I know some manufacturers will not cover cleaning them and use them as excuses. I use K&N and if done properly then servicing it takes a couple of hours to do it correctly - gotta have drying time and around twnety or so minutes for the oil to saturate and checking for light areas. Never use anything but super clean from K&N or they will not stand behind the warranty as they will not if you use pressurized water or air to clean it as well.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I started using the K&N Air Cleaners on my cars, many years ago now. I'm on my 3rd Maintenance Kit now and have plenty left over from my last car, the 2013 Soul. Now, I'm just waiting to get a new K&N Air Filter for my 2020 Soul.

Yup, drying time should not be rushed. The oil penetrates the cotton cloth much better if it's bone dry. Air drying, like under bright sun is best.
I don't know How Much Oil is Too Much, because I never got there. I've never had to clean a MAF sensor in my life.
So within my own experience, that's just an 'Old Wives Tale'.

So here's wishing all you K&N users and NON-Users alike, a very,
Merry Christmas!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts