Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 1008 miles today. The day I bought this car, the salesman told me my first oil change is free. "great!", I said. "When should I bring it in?" At 1000 miles, he said. Ok, cool. I figured that's a break-in oil change. I've never bought a new car before. I took it in today and the service people laughed and said to bring it back at 5000 miles. said they'd never heard of any 1000-mile oil change before. I asked how often after that and he told be every 3000 miles. After checking the owners manual I see the first oil change is listed at 7500 miles! and every 7500 miles after that. My question now is: "Is 7500 when I chould change it? or 5000 just to be safe?"

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
The best thing to do is go up to the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the webpage, click and go to ADVANCED SEARCH. This will give you a myriad of oil and related discussions. Plus you'll learn alot about oil and your car.

All the best!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
There are many different theories on this subject.
Bottom line is anything sooner then the prescribed intervals of 3750(severe) or 7500(normal) and you are within Kia guidelines.
Then there is the never ending debate on synthetic vs dino oil but we'll leave that for another time, in another galaxy, far-far away!

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
I would go ahead a get the oil changed now with a Kia filter. (I'm old school) Then every 5000 miles is the duration I have been using every since my car was new. My thinking is to get the old oil out the as it may have containments from breaking the engine in. It sure couldn't hurt to do an extra oil change according to Kia's guidelines.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
When I worked for World Class companies, that gave me a company car to drive, it was mandatory to get the oil and filter changed every 3000 miles. In those days, I drove as much as 1500 miles a week, so oil changes came around about once a month. In all those years, I never had an engine problem with any vehicle that I drove.

Since driving my own vehicles, I've just kept up that oil change interval.
When I bought my 2020 Soul LX, I got the extended maintenance/warranty agreement. It was agreed upon, with my service dept, that I'd be back every 3k miles for an oil/filter change and every 6k miles for a Tire Rotation. They were perfectly in agreement with that service interval. I drive about 1000 miles a month, and I don't spare the horses, so to speak, so my service interval just makes good sense to me.

Yesterday, I got my 6k oil change, and my dealer's 21 point inspection. That inspection found a foreign object in the side wall of my RR tire. They called it a "Staple". ??? One phone call later, I was approved for a new tire.

Most of my working life, I've been involved in "Preventive Maintenance". 3k oil changes are just GOOD Maintenance.
There is no downside. Kia says to use only a Genuine KIA Oil Filter, but they don't say much about what oil to use, other than the weight. (5W20 seems to be the favorite)
My dealer uses a Havoline Blend. (5W20) That's OK with me. It works good!

:cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. I was looking for these real-world experiences to go by. I’ve never owned a car recommended for anything more than 3000-mile intervals so I needed something to go by. I’m comfortable going 3000 on the first and then maybe 5000 after that. I only drive 400 or so miles a month at the most so I’ll see how it goes.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
1-O.E.M. factory oil filters just make good sense financially & mechanically.
2-Most any brand name 5w-20 oil will suffice so use whatever helps you sleep at nite.
3-The days of the 3k oil change have gone the way of the Dodo but again...whatever helps you sleep at nite.
4-If quality dino oil is good, synthetic blend is better and full synthetic is betterer but you still need that sleep.
5-Paranoia is indeed the destroyer and you'll never get any sleep!

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. I was looking for these real-world experiences to go by. I’ve never owned a car recommended for anything more than 3000-mile intervals so I needed something to go by. I’m comfortable going 3000 on the first and then maybe 5000 after that. I only drive 400 or so miles a month at the most so I’ll see how it goes.
then in that case just go by the time period and ignore mileage, which will be every 6 months. I don't do a lot of driving either, and that's what I do.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
3,750 is considered severe duty oil change... You could think of New Engine (ware-in) period as sever duty... Most people that do a lot of stop and go driving, it is considered severe duty by the owners manual... So let your driving style be your Guide.

PS: My driving is the same as the EPA test run... I change with Synthetic at 5,000... But... That's just ME... But... Not Necessary...<:)).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My dealer's Service Manager told me strait out, that anyone living in Florida is driving their car, truck or whatever, under SEVERE conditions, because of the Sugar Sand that is everywhere. It's as fine as flower, sometimes, and gets into everything. So he didn't balk a bit when I told him I'd be in every 3000 miles for my FREE oil and filter change.

This isn't the only place in the USA, with fine dust problems. Iowa had the same problems, with gravel (limestone) dust from the country roads. It used to get into the CVT on my Harley Topper motor scooter and lock it up.
Harley said there were two places in the USA where they experienced that problem, Iowa and Florida. They finally closed that CVT and had no more problems.

Cheers Maties! Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
My dealer's Service Manager told me strait out, that anyone living in Florida is driving their car, truck or whatever, under SEVERE conditions, because of the Sugar Sand that is everywhere. It's as fine as flower, sometimes, and gets into everything. So he didn't balk a bit when I told him I'd be in every 3000 miles for my FREE oil and filter change.

This isn't the only place in the USA, with fine dust problems. Iowa had the same problems, with gravel (limestone) dust from the country roads. It used to get into the CVT on my Harley Topper motor scooter and lock it up.
Harley said there were two places in the USA where they experienced that problem, Iowa and Florida. They finally closed that CVT and had no more problems.

Cheers Maties! Happy Thanksgiving!

Hey FL, do you notice the "Sugar Sand" built up in the air filter / chamber at all?

I changed out mine yesterday & while it looked pristine on the top, underneath it had filtered out a few leaves, some styrofoam globulars & other road dirt that wanted to find their way to the intake valves. I vacuumed all of that out before putting in a new OEM filter.

Curious too if your cabin air filter collects that sugar sand?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm at 1008 miles today. The day I bought this car, the salesman told me my first oil change is free. "great!", I said. "When should I bring it in?" At 1000 miles, he said. Ok, cool. I figured that's a break-in oil change. I've never bought a new car before. I took it in today and the service people laughed and said to bring it back at 5000 miles. said they'd never heard of any 1000-mile oil change before.
Same thing happened to me; drove me crazy! Check on the expiration date of that "free" offer. I think you only have a year to use it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Same thing happened to me; drove me crazy! Check on the expiration date of that "free" offer. I think you only have a year to use it.
I'd noticed that expiration date already. is only for for 3 months from the date I purchased the car! That's why the 1000 mile thing made sense to me. I've been driving extra just to get to the 1000-mark lol. Oh well. I've decided to get it around 3000, then go with full synthetic every 5000 or so. I think my dealer will honor the coupon after expiration since 5000 miles (that the service adviser told me to bring it back at) is pretty unrealistic to do in 90 days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did every 7,500 miles with my 2013 until 100k, then switched to every 5,000.
Just did the first oil change on my 2020 at 5,000

·
Registered
1 Posts
FWIW, I have found this 68 page paperback to be very helpful:
How to Select a Motor Oil and Filter for Your Car or Truck - 2nd Edition by James C. Fitch.
It's available on Amazon for $19.95 (used), or from the publisher (new - $19.95), Noria Corp. I bought it used on Amazon because Noria only ships the book FedEx (and I thought that was too expensive for me.)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hey FL, do you notice the "Sugar Sand" built up in the air filter / chamber at all?

I changed out mine yesterday & while it looked pristine on the top, underneath it had filtered out a few leaves, some styrofoam globulars & other road dirt that wanted to find their way to the intake valves. I vacuumed all of that out before putting in a new OEM filter.

Curious too if your cabin air filter collects that sugar sand?

Thanks!
Every time I'm working under the hood, checking fluids, etc., I pop out the air filter and shake out the bugs, and other debris. And, of course I look into the air box to see what might be in the bottom. So far in just over 6k miles, I've not seen anything in there that would require the use of my Shop Vac.
I did that several times on my 2013 Soul though. That was just a few times in seven years.

Got Snow?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts