Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a hard time figuring out bulb sizes for this car so I thought I would post this to help people. The bulb sizes are in bold in parenthesis next to their location on the vehicle. I also included the products I used.

EXTERIOR FRONT
EXTERIOR REAR
  • Brake Light (1157) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076YVS361/ (Endpage is another good brand from my repeated trial and error. I had rear turn signals by them until I changed them out for another pair which I talk about below. Tech/Primo package people ignore.)
  • Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light (x9 - 194) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074M5PTND/ (Another Auxito product. Each tail light requires 2 each and the 3rd brake light requires 5. Tech/Primo package people ignore.)
  • Reverse Light (921) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0728DYR9H/ (Another Auxito product.)
  • License Plate Light (x2 - 194) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JLWGQX/ (Another Auxito product.)
  • Rear Turn Signal (1156) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076JKFZHC/ (I did have Endpage turn signals but I didn't want to install resistors in the rear since they get VERY VERY hot and would be too close to plastic so I remembered @Hank3 posted these once and decided to give them a try. These did solve the hyper flash issues along with having resistors up front but these lights are EXTREMELY BRIGHT. I would compare them to Halogen headlights in brightness.)
INTERIOR
HYPERFLASH
  • Load Resistors - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UNG3EXQ/ (When installing load resistors keep them from any plastic. You can use self drilling screws to screw them into the frame or if somebody else has another safe way to mount them. Also needle nose pliers will be needed to work with these.)
  • Driver Side Wires - Black Ground and Blue/Orange (Read below.)
  • Passenger Side Wires - Black Ground and Red/Orange (Thanks to @Hank3 for helping me to figure out the wires. Also they are the same for the projector and reflector housing.)
CONCLUSION
  • Total Cost - $426.38 (Cost including returned items.) $219.76 (Current Setup.) $206.62 (Returned Items that weren't to liking and or poor quality.)
  • Thoughts - The moment I bought the car I got the headlights and planned to leave it at that like my last soul but one day going to lunch with some co-workers one noticed I had a blown brake light on my driver side which was odd as this car was brand new(later found out housing had a short and was replaced under warranty) at the time so that's when I decided to order LED replacements instead of getting a halogen replacement and once I got the new LEDs installed the tail lights looked off so I decided to change all the lights to LED. I also got limo tint (5%) on my car so the interior is MUCH darker so I decided to do the interior also. Unless you are a DIYer I do NOT recommend doing this.
  • Miscellaneous - I don't have any info on the bulb size for fogs so if someone would be so kind to post that I will update the thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the great guide, I piece-parted these out myself just yesterday after I had a fuse blow and take a few bulbs with it (figured it was a good opportunity to upgrade to LED). I wound up with almost all of the same parts as you, excepting the rear turn signal; I selected these with a built-in resistor (hopefully not too hot...). I'll let you know how they work out. It was really nice to have this to reference what I ordered and check my parts, I wish I had seen this yesterday it would have saved me a lot of time!

On the taillights and 3rd brake light, I ordered the same set as you but white rather than red as the cover is colored, did you find that the red was necessary?

The Fog lights are H8 type and I'm ordering from Beamtech. Note that you need the type with the 90deg bend to fit properly. The Fog lights look like a bit of a pain to get to (see reference at the bottom)

In your note about the headlights, what adjustment is required with reflectors?

I wanted to post this website, where the owner has done a little step by step on getting to and replacing all these light bulbs (and some other items too) REMOVED
And the link to his section on the Fog bulbs REMOVED

NOTE since I'm new I can't post links but if you google "paul's travel pictures kia soul" you'll find the DIY website I referenced as the top result

·
Registered
53 Posts
For best results the LED color should be the same as the lens color. For example: a red lens will filter out all but the red portion of the light so if the light is all red, none or very little light will be blocked by the lens. The light from a white LED contains very little light in the red portion of the visible spectrum so light would be filtered out by a red lens.

Aside from the performance aspect, a white LED will look orange-ish in a red housing; whereas a red LED will be a very sharp, intense red.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Reverse Light (921) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0728DYR9H/ (Another Auxito product.)

How long have you had these Auxito reverse lights installed?
The only lights I would really like to replace with LED before winter sets in are the reverse lights, but I don't want to spend the time & money if they're going to start flickering inside of 6 months. Most of the 921 LEDs on Amazon have iffy-at-best longevity records, according to most reviews, and the idea of removing the tail lights during winter has had me leave the incandescents alone since they're working well-enough as is. Even Sylvania LEDs have spotty longevity records at twice the price, although they are covered by a lifetime warranty. I just feel that if I'm going to go through the bother to swap out to LEDs they should last longer than standard bulbs.

Thanks for your write-up, it's very helpful! 👍

·
Registered
456 Posts
@whydoihavetoregistertosee - Nice job gathering and organizing all of the info for forum members to refer to. The rear turn signals you referenced that I once tried are indeed super bright. So much so that I gave them away to someone. They were too bright for me, and I felt bad whenever I was at a light during evening hours and the car(s) behind me would suffer and be annoyed. During the day it wasn't bad, but at night I would even avoid unlocking the car if I was behind the vehicle...LOL.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are the front turn bulbs the same for those of us who have the yellow bulbs only for the blinker, and either the white strip or led strip for the running lights?

34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great guide, I piece-parted these out myself just yesterday after I had a fuse blow and take a few bulbs with it (figured it was a good opportunity to upgrade to LED). I wound up with almost all of the same parts as you, excepting the rear turn signal; I selected these with a built-in resistor (hopefully not too hot...). I'll let you know how they work out. It was really nice to have this to reference what I ordered and check my parts, I wish I had seen this yesterday it would have saved me a lot of time!

On the taillights and 3rd brake light, I ordered the same set as you but white rather than red as the cover is colored, did you find that the red was necessary?

The Fog lights are H8 type and I'm ordering from Beamtech. Note that you need the type with the 90deg bend to fit properly. The Fog lights look like a bit of a pain to get to (see reference at the bottom)

In your note about the headlights, what adjustment is required with reflectors?

I wanted to post this website, where the owner has done a little step by step on getting to and replacing all these light bulbs (and some other items too) REMOVED
And the link to his section on the Fog bulbs REMOVED

NOTE since I'm new I can't post links but if you google "paul's travel pictures kia soul" you'll find the DIY website I referenced as the top result
Resistors are going to get hot when in use and the longer they are in use the hotter they get.
I actually had white ones before my red ones came in and it's going to make the lights look pink and will look off if you have a red brake light.
Thanks for the fog light info.
The headlights come with an allen wrench and you unscrew the the small screw in the headlight house on the actual light to twist them so the beam pattern changes. For the best light pattern on the gen 2 soul you want them slightly outwards, so if you were standing in front of the car they should be like this -> \ /

·
Registered
456 Posts
Are the front turn bulbs the same for those of us who have the yellow bulbs only for the blinker, and either the white strip or led strip for the running lights?
Yes. It's a 1157. For the projector halogens and HID units, the wiring is differrent in that it doesn't power the turn signal bulb when the parking lights are on.

34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long have you had these Auxito reverse lights installed?
The only lights I would really like to replace with LED before winter sets in are the reverse lights, but I don't want to spend the time & money if they're going to start flickering inside of 6 months. Most of the 921 LEDs on Amazon have iffy-at-best longevity records, according to most reviews, and the idea of removing the tail lights during winter has had me leave the incandescents alone since they're working well-enough as is. Even Sylvania LEDs have spotty longevity records at twice the price, although they are covered by a lifetime warranty. I just feel that if I'm going to go through the bother to swap out to LEDs they should last longer than standard bulbs.

Thanks for your write-up, it's very helpful! 👍
About 4 months. If they do fail I will be trying Alla Lighting's strobe lights.

34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@whydoihavetoregistertosee - Nice job gathering and organizing all of the info for forum members to refer to. The rear turn signals you referenced that I once tried are indeed super bright. So much so that I gave them away to someone. They were too bright for me, and I felt bad whenever I was at a light during evening hours and the car(s) behind me would suffer and be annoyed. During the day it wasn't bad, but at night I would even avoid unlocking the car if I was behind the vehicle...LOL.
I noticed a lot of people don't stop right on my ass at lights anymore and actually let me merge since I got them :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
74 Posts
A few more questions, if you don't mind:
Where did you end up attaching the resistors? (for front turns only, right?) Wasn't there enough room between the plastic of the tail light units and the body to place resistors, or were you worried about the heat from them?
What year/model do you have? (not in your signature)
Do you have any photos/videos? I would especially be interested in how bright the tail lights, brake lights & interior look now.

About 4 months. If they do fail I will be trying Alla Lighting's strobe lights.
Please keep us updated on your lights as time goes on, if you don't mind. Amazon reviews are rarely updated with new info. Heck, half the time they're barely coherent! LOL

FYI, the link for the glovebox bulb seem to be broken or they changed the URL. I also don't understand Kia's "logic" behind making that a unique socket. 😒

Thanks again for starting this thread, it makes the resourcing of LEDs so much easier! 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
So my installation has gone very well, and thanks for the tip on adjusting the headlights. I'll post pics later, quick question: how did you fit the dust caps on the headlights with the new LED lights? Mine doesn't have enough space because of the size of the heart radiator in the new lights and the fact that the wiring harness is separate.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Here are some pics of my load resistors in the engine bay. All four turn signal bulbs that I purchased have built-in load resistors, but without the front additional resistors, they hyperflashed for me, so hence the install.

And here is a video of the bulbs in action:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here are some pics of my load resistors in the engine bay. All four turn signal bulbs that I purchased have built-in load resistors, but without the front additional resistors, they hyperflashed for me, so hence the install.

View attachment 132622
View attachment 132623
View attachment 132624
View attachment 132625

And here is a video of the bulbs in action:

Nice and bright, i just take the time and find ones that are antihyper flash. Luyed makes them, like the surface of the sun

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have built-in-resistor LED turn signals both front and rear on my Soul with no hyperflash at all. Wonder what the difference is?
Which headlights do you have? The reflector or the projector (halogen/HID) based units? I know the wiring is slightly different because the reflector based units sends constant power to the turn signal bulbs when the parking and low beams are one, while the projector headlights sends power to the LED light strips as parking lights. And since the 1157 bulbs has two contact points as opposed to the 1156 bulbs for the rear, which has one contact point, I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have HIDs too so not sure then...because if I had just the just the front LEDs installed and the rears were the stock incandescents, there was no hyperflashing, and vice versa. But if all four were in, then it would hyperflash.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a '19+ with Factory HIDs & LED tail lights. I converted all exterior & interior lighting that was incandescent to LED; using quality components from a manufacturer that specializes in lighting. I have used said manufacturer on numerous vehicles over the years. I was going to do a write up (and still may) until this thread appeared.

In regards to hyperflash: any time you replace an incandescent turn signal bulb with an LED bulb, you need to add a resistor; this is PER BULB. So, replacing rear turn signals requires two; replacing front turn signals requires two. Replacing all 4 bulbs requires four resistors.

·
Registered
456 Posts
In regards to hyperflash: any time you replace an incandescent turn signal bulb with an LED bulb, you need to add a resistor; this is PER BULB. So, replacing rear turn signals requires two; replacing front turn signals requires two. Replacing all 4 bulbs requires four resistors.
Correct.

@MLowe05 and I were discussing the oddity of how all four of my LED bulbs have built-in resistors and still required two resistors and his didn't.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts