Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
The early Souls have MPI engines if I'm correct and then they went to GDI engines, which they say Direct Inject engines gives better fuel mpg and more HP?
But for the 2020 souls I see they went back to MPI?
Is this a con or a pro?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,759 Posts
Welcome kf!

You are a newbie, so you'll find this has been discussed ad nauseum. Try searching "carbon buildup" issues & always check the "Similar Threads" box at the bottom for more like minded chatter.

You can also Google the subject.

In a nutshell, GDI engines, especially early ones, left carbon deposits on the back side of the intake valves, as they spray gas directly into the combustion chamber. MPI sprays behind the valve, cleaning it on the way to the combustion chamber.

While GDI did provide better mileage, the new MPI engines are getting even better, so that argument doesn't seem valid anymore.

·
Registered
767 Posts
GDI allows for higher compression since the fuel isn't heated up by crossing over the valve. I'm not sure this matters in a non-turbocharged engine tho

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Welcome kf!

You are a newbie, so you'll find this has been discussed ad nauseum. Try searching "carbon buildup" issues & always check the "Similar Threads" box at the bottom for more like minded chatter.

You can also Google the subject.

In a nutshell, GDI engines, especially early ones, left carbon deposits on the back side of the intake valves, as they spray gas directly into the combustion chamber. MPI sprays behind the valve, cleaning it on the way to the combustion chamber.

While GDI did provide better mileage, the new MPI engines are getting even better, so that argument doesn't seem valid anymore.
I must admit that I'm not up to speed on MPI engines, so I'm going to ask what may seem like a dumb question......
Is it still recommended to use Techron in the MPI engine?

Happy Trails!

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
...Is it still recommended to use Techron in the MPI engine?...
In its previous incarnation, the MPI engine was still recommended with Tier 1 gas or run the Techron through . I know that you did not have one of these but I did and it seems to me it was there. Since I go out of my way to get tier 1 gas, I don't do that,

·
Registered
455 Posts
I must admit that I'm not up to speed on MPI engines, so I'm going to ask what may seem like a dumb question......
Is it still recommended to use Techron in the MPI engine?

Happy Trails!

I'll throw in my 2 cents and say "YES". Even if you use Top-Tier gas, Techron will help keep the injectors and intake valves even cleaner with MPI. The intakes will get the full benefit of cleaning that the GDI engines miss.

It's cheap insurance for a $20K+ investment. Even 3 bottles a year is less than $15. I spend more than that on soda every month.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents and say "YES". Even if you use Top-Tier gas, Techron will help keep the injectors and intake valves even cleaner with MPI. The intakes will get the full benefit of cleaning that the GDI engines miss.

It's cheap insurance for a $20K+ investment. Even 3 bottles a year is less than $15. I spend more than that on soda every month.

Only three bottles a year? You must be a low mileage driver. But anyway, thanks for your 2 cents worth. Any info at all is always appreciated here.

With a larger gas tank on the 2020, when I go to get my Techron, I think I'll buy the LARGE bottle. And I'll be adding it every three months at the very least. In three weeks, I've already got about 1300 miles on my new Soul.

Kia is paying for my first two years of oil changes and I've established with my service dept that I'll see them every three months at the outside. And, I'll be putting a bottle of Techron in the gas tank with every oil change.

I need to talk with my Service Manager, and see if they will install a Magnetic Oil Drain plug if I provide one. Having one in my 2013 Soul, really saved me from an expensive breakdown. When I found iron chunks on the magnet the last time I changed my oil, I traded that car OFF. That week I got the recall from Kia on my 2013 because of an engine problem that could result in a "New Engine".
Oh well, I got my moneys worth out of that little car. Yes, I drove her like I stole her! And, I really put her feet to the fire, many times, so to speak. And, never once did she ever let me down.

Happy Memorial Day Everyone!

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Hey FL, I've heard it is best to run the bottle of techron through a full tank PRIOR to the oil change. Traces of it gets into the oil pan and you don't want it recirculating through the engine oil until your next change in 3 or 6 months.

Techron doesn't belong in the oil system.

It's posted in a lot of places, here's just one:

https://forum.miata.net/vb/archive/index.php/t-252072.html

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Yoiks!

Right on, 'I don't want Techron in my oil'.

I always put a bottle of Techron in my gas tank with every oil change in my 2013 with the 1.6L engine. At oil change time the oil was always pitch black. I never equated the color of the oil with the use of Techron. I always just figgered that the blackness was just the oil doing its job of cleaning the engine. I'd be really suspicious of oil that came out clean after being in the engine for 3000+ miles.

Oh, I read that entire thread about the Techron. Velly intelestink! Eh? It was kind of a mixed bag, of tests, results, and opinions. Like most forums.

PS: At 75k miles on my little 1.6L Soul engine, I was seeing "chunks" of metal on my magnetic drain plug.
KIA put out a recall on that engine, probably for that very problem. I find it hard to believe that Techron, recommended by KIA, could have been the cause of that engine failure. I didn't even answer the 'Recall'.....I just traded that car off for a new one.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Regarding the Techron in the oil, I offer the following thoughts:

If you put a 16-oz bottle of Techron in with 10 gallons, the fuel mixture is only 1/80 Techron. (16oz = 1 pint / 8 pints = 1 gallon) If you put in a bottle every 10 tanks, that means only 1/800 of whatever is slipping past the rings is Techron. So, my thought is that rather than blame the Techron, I'd be more concerned about the other 799/800 of what slipped by into the oil.

Again, just my 2 cents. (Jeez - now I'm up to 4 cents. LOL)

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Regarding the Techron in the oil, I offer the following thoughts:

If you put a 16-oz bottle of Techron in with 10 gallons, the fuel mixture is only 1/80 Techron. (16oz = 1 pint / 8 pints = 1 gallon) If you put in a bottle every 10 tanks, that means only 1/800 of whatever is slipping past the rings is Techron. So, my thought is that rather than blame the Techron, I'd be more concerned about the other 799/800 of what slipped by into the oil.

Again, just my 2 cents. (Jeez - now I'm up to 4 cents. LOL)
I can make change for that pnoman :)

I agree, I don't think Techron is to blame for metal shavings. Kia would be all over them (legally) if it did.

I think the logic is Techron isn't an oil additive & if you use it prior, the oil change gets rid of any residue.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I can make change for that pnoman :)

I agree, I don't think Techron is to blame for metal shavings. Kia would be all over them (legally) if it did.

I think the logic is Techron isn't an oil additive & if you use it prior, the oil change gets rid of any residue.
Thank you for that pearl of wisdom. :) I've always put in the Techron along with the oil change, but from now on, and since my dealer will be doing my oil changes for the next two years, I'll put in the Techron and run it out about a week before I take my car in for the oil change. So if any Techron finds its way into the oil, the oil change will flush it out. Maybe just an ounce of prevention.

My friend and Service Writer, told me that if I bring him a Magnetic Oil Drain Plug, he will see to it that the mechanic installs it, with the next oil change.
I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here.

MagOilPlug.jpg Magnetic Oil Drain Plug for the Kia Soul. Bought at 'Advance Auto Parts' for about 7 bucks.

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
FLH, I was disappointed that you traded that car in. I remember being regaled with tales of non-turbo turbocharged performance, two-wheel-drive-all-wheel-drive rescues, and superhuman feats of fuel economy and interstate runs. You've got a pretty high bar to exceed that you set with Gertrude :D

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
So right. I did love that little car, and in seven years she never let me down. She performed admirably, even pulling that Lincoln Navigator out of the sand pit that it had buried itself in.

But to be truthful, metal 'chunks' on the drain plug magnet scared the HE11 out of me.

So now I've got a new car, that so far surpasses my 2013 Soul in many ways.

One forum member even accused me of pulling "Farm Equipment" with my 2013, which I never really did, but I did work her pretty hard.

Thank you Gertrude (aka, Ivanka) for a great seven year run. It's been fun! That's the longest that I've ever owned one single car. I think 6 years on my Suzuki Grand Vitara was the longest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts