Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,530 Posts
Toyotas new approach to carbon buildup:

Toyota Advances D4S With Self-Cleaning Feature on Tacoma | Technology content from WardsAuto

“What we’re doing is we have a slit on the side of our injector and we’re blowing that carbon off,” Mike Sweers, the ’16 Tacoma’s chief engineer, tells WardsAuto here during the truck’s media preview. “If we tried to use just high pressure, using just the nozzle itself, you would clean the bottom of that nozzle.

“But since the carbon grows from the outside and comes around, you would still plug up that injector,” he adds. “So by cleaning on the outside of that, we get a clean injector all the time.”

Drivers may hear the self-cleaning taking place during a hot idle, and the process could last from 10 seconds to as long as 10 minutes, depending on driving patterns and the amount of build-up on the injectors.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
All redundant info at this point.
The problem is a real concern especially if you keep you vehicle beyond the 10/100 powertrain warranty.
If you lease it don't worry just don't buy it.
If you buy it be aware of potential G..D.I. issues as the warranties expiration draws near.
The catch can still seems like a viable and inexpensive option in the fight against carbon build up.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I like the dual spray setup idea. Especially in low torque situations where it's possible that two (or even one) cylinder can handle the work involved; maybe in those cases it can switch from GDI to traditional spray to wash down anything that's accumulated and burn it off. I think most, if not all of the Big 3 V8s have cylinder shutdown to save fuel economy - what if you utilized the same idea in smaller engines, but the minute spray is only designed to clean the valve seats?

I think the bigger thing is as Sradiator noted - most people won't even keep their cars long enough to know the difference. It's the people on the secondary markets that are going to be affected, or people like me that rack up a lot of miles before ditching a car.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
ChrisFix has a new video on gas selection, carbon buildup (port injection too) & octane ratings.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
900 Posts
ChrisFix has a new video on gas selection, carbon buildup (port injection too) & octane ratings.
From my OM; Your new Kia vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having a pump octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. (Do not use methanol blended fuels)

I use 89, if I forget to say PLUS, 87 works fine. Now I am tempted to run a tank of 93 w/extra super cleaning additives.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
From my OM; Your new Kia vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having a pump octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. (Do not use methanol blended fuels)

I use 89, if I forget to say PLUS, 87 works fine. Now I am tempted to run a tank of 93 w/extra super cleaning additives.
Yeah, he said it has 7 times the normal cleaning additives. I accidentally put a tank of VPower in. Besides the high price, I didn't notice any difference.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yeah, he said it has 7 times the normal cleaning additives. I accidentally put a tank of VPower in. Besides the high price, I didn't notice any difference.
A subtle sales pitch, ya gotta try it, 7x plus the original cleaning power!

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
A subtle sales pitch, ya gotta try it, 7x plus the original cleaning power!
When I was a kid, the Shell station used to give out mugs, beach towels and sunglasses. Now it's 8X the cleaning power!

·
Registered
900 Posts
When I was a kid, the Shell station used to give out mugs, beach towels and sunglasses. Now it's 8X the cleaning power!
The immediate reward of a pair of sunglasses (soon lost or never used) is more rewarding then possible engine cleanliness :cool:

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
The immediate reward of a pair of sunglasses (soon lost or never used) is more rewarding then possible engine cleanliness :cool:
I know right? What's cooler, a 7 year old wearing sunglasses or a clean engine?

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
665 Posts
I accidentally put a tank of V-Power in, and the next day it had washed the car and engine bay, vacuumed the floor mats, and replaced the air freshener.

Like the video says, do what the manufacturer says. I only run TT fuel, throw a dollar store bottle of gas system cleaner or injector cleaner in every few tanks, and Techron once in a great while. The restaurant inspector said my engine was so clean I could legally serve lunch on it. But that makes it hard to drive during the lunch rush.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts