Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use regular in my 2.0L 2013 Kia Soul and it seems I burn gas quickly. I put gas when it really cool (temperature) and I do not drive crazy. I'm very conservative when it comes to driving. Also, I keep the ECO button on in my car all the time. I take it off and I get worse MPG. Should I go 91 and try it or just stay with regular? What do you guys use/suggest? The gas stations I use are Chevron, Shell, and 76. I typically use Chevron or Shell more, though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
um, well... let me share my useless expeirience regarding octane fuel.

A: myth that it makes your car run better
B: yes some cars require it, e.g. caddilac and mercedes as an example
C: Kia Soul's do not
D: higher octane fuel actually burns slower not faster so take that for what it is worth... again useless info, I know, Lol

put in 87 and enjoy the ride :) fuel burn is well.... burning regardless

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Got Questions? Read your Owners manual. It answers your questions.

Our Kia Souls were built to burn our gasoline, regular with up to 10% ethanol. Nothing else.

Go getting creative and burn up your engine and the replacement cost will be ON YOU!

:cool:

Reactions: hashemio

·
Registered
966 Posts
I recall that someone posted in the forum that the same gas additive KIA recommends can be found by running a tank of Cheveron (that has the same additive) once between oil changes.

Other than that, I've seen no diff in octain levels so I run the 87.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Read Only
515 Posts
I put a couple ounces of Lucas fuel treatment in each tank, using regular gas. The car seems to run a little better and has 1 mpg or so improved mileage.
Buying a larger container, the stuff pays for itself and it's cheaper than using premium.
Lucas Fuel Treatment : Lucas Oil

·
Registered
751 Posts
To the OP... reset your avg fuel economy readout and do some test driving. You'll see rather quickly what affects the economy the most. Slow gradual starts seem to work best. The more time you spend coasting, or decelerating, and the less you spend accelerating, the better your economy. I found the Soul requires a little practice at learning what driving style gets the best mileage. Most folks don't want to take the time to go easy and be gentle, they just want to get from point A to point B. I am this way sometimes, but again, to get the best economy you will need to be patient. Gradual take offs....time the stops and allow the car to coast down instead of hitting the brakes as much...Keep speeds under 65 mph...etc. Makes a huge difference. At first, you feel like a "hyper miler" going to extremes. But soon you settle in and can get decent economy without the straining. It gets easier. Oh, and use regular. I prefer Chevron personally...

·
Registered
38 Posts
To the OP... reset your avg fuel economy readout and do some test driving. You'll see rather quickly what affects the economy the most. Slow gradual starts seem to work best. The more time you spend coasting, or decelerating, and the less you spend accelerating, the better your economy. I found the Soul requires a little practice at learning what driving style gets the best mileage. Most folks don't want to take the time to go easy and be gentle, they just want to get from point A to point B. I am this way sometimes, but again, to get the best economy you will need to be patient. Gradual take offs....time the stops and allow the car to coast down instead of hitting the brakes as much...Keep speeds under 65 mph...etc. Makes a huge difference. At first, you feel like a "hyper miler" going to extremes. But soon you settle in and can get decent economy without the straining. It gets easier. Oh, and use regular. I prefer Chevron personally...
Can't argue with all that. Good advice. Squeeze the throttle gently and progressively until you find you are A. Accelerating at the desired pace or B. At your desired speed. I dropped my regular highway speed from 80 mph to about 75 mph due to the cinder-block aerodynamics. I swear sometimes I get better mileage in town than on the highway...
You're already using Top Tier gasolines (I use Shell almost exclusively) so just use the regular grade. Higher octane gas is not "better" gas, and is a waste of money if your vehicle doesn't require it. I've read that higher-octane gas costs the station no more than regular, so why do they charge more? Same reason a dog licks his 'nads - because he can.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I recall that someone posted in the forum that the same gas additive KIA recommends can be found by running a tank of Chevron (that has the same additive) once between oil changes.
Other than that, I've seen no diff in octain levels so I run the 87.
Chevron does claim to have 'Techron' in their gasoline, but at what percentage? It could be just one part per million. Not worth paying extra for, or driving out of your way to get it. And, maybe not enough to prevent the fuel injectors from carboning up.

Kia does suggest using the 'Techron' additive @ one bottle per oil change (or every 3k miles, whichever comes first).

They do put it out in a smaller bottle, for tanks up to 15 gallons. That's the one I buy.

The Lucas additive is NOT the same thing. Not bad, just NOT what Kia suggests using.

Happy Motoring!
TM :cool:

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Kia does suggest using the 'Techron' additive @ one bottle per oil change (or every 3k miles, whichever comes first).
actually it recommends it at 7500 miles or 12 months - "if TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is not available" it does not specifically say with each oil change. So if you feel you are in the severe category at 3750 miles or 6 months, you could do it every 2nd oil change.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
actually it recommends it at 7500 miles or 12 months - "if TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is not available" it does not specifically say with each oil change. So if you feel you are in the severe category at 3750 miles or 6 months, you could do it every 2nd oil change.
Of course you're still speaking as a Canadian.... not a Yankee.
We do roll a little bit differently here.

I'll still be changing my oil every 3k miles, just like I have for the past 50+ years, and I'll be putting in a bottle of Techron additive with every oil change. Doing everything at 3k, just keeps it simple and prevents missing anything in the process.

I'll be doing everything on the 3k interval. Oil and filter at 3k, tire rotation at 6k and clean and re-oil air cleaner at 9k, along with cleaning the Cabin Air Cleaner.

Checking all fluid levels and tire pressure is done weekly.

There is no harm and no replacement for Good Maintenance. (never has been, , , never will be)

TM :cool:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
There is no harm and no replacement for Good Maintenance. (never has been, , , never will be)
There actually is harm. You're making it harder for our children and our children's children to live the life we have today. You're wasting earth's resources by having to recycle that oil over again more times than what is needed.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
So that's your argument for POOR Maintenance? To preserve the earth for our children?

Pretty lame!

I won't even honor that lame excuse with a rebuttal.:think

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
WELL, my maintenance schedule is based on 50+ years of experience, with internal combustion engines.
What is your's based on. Nothing, I have to believe.

Stupidity cannot trump experience. Period.

You do what you want to do and I'll just continue to do that I've done all my life and we'll see who's car lasts the longest.

So far, my experience tells me I'll win.

When your car is a smoldering ruin in a junk yard somewhere, mine will still be running happily down the road.

good luck estupido!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts