Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It's not only that gauges and displays can be off, they can also be mis-interpreted.
45 mph is NOT the most economical speed for a 2.0L Soul. That has been true for my last two Souls.

Yesterday, I made a little trip, on local roads, at no more than 60 mph, and in "D" all the way, and, on returning home, my on-board gauges said I had traveled 52 miles at 40.6 mpg. I was in no real hurry and I never did 'Hammer' the throttle, and was not really 'High Miling' either. So everything was pretty much just Normal. And there were quite a few stop signs, and lights, involved in that trip. Typical suburb driving.
My 2013 Soul 1.6, never did quite that good. For the economy factor, I'm really glad I traded up to the 2020 LX.

By the time I get down to my Dealer tomorrow, for my third Oil Change, I will have traveled 9000 miles. I feel like the little car is just getting broken in, because she just keeps running betterer and betterer.
(seems like I've said that before..Oh well, old folks do tend to repeat themselves. Eh? )

Happy Valentines Day, Everyone!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2020 Soul EX is only a few days old and I'm getting 29MPG - mostly around town with lights and hills... I will be going to Savannah, Ga from Richmond, VA (1000 miles round trip) next week - so I'll get some good highway numbers. My Stinger 3.3L V6 could get 34MPG on the highway. We shall see. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
My trip computer had me at almost 34 on the way to a Track meet, all highway. On the way back it crawled down to 31. I have not filled up to see what it has gotten, but would love to compare it to what the computer Says. All my nissans were optimistic with their numbers...…..Hand calc always returned lower results. My GTO however, it was almost spot on to the decimal point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found something very interesting - so interesting it may be a misprint.
I was looking on 2020 Kia Soul Specifications and was comparing the trim levels (LX, S & EX).
According to their chart the EX model gets 29/35/31MPG (City/Highway/Combined). The other 2.0L models get 27/33/30 MPG. Has anyone seen this info anywhere else?

I'm intrigued...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Aah - just did a little search on the Kia sales site - It's not a misprint... On the EX you get 29/35/31 MPG (Standard 17-inch Wheels) 27/33/30 MPG (Optional 18-inch Wheels)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
In High School science class, we learned that power decreases the further you go out from the source.
So, putting power to the ground, the larger the wheel the less power gets to the ground. Then it makes the engine do more work to turn a larger wheel and try to get the same power to the ground.
I loved the 15" wheels on my 2013 Soul, and I grudgingly accepted 16" wheels on my 2020 Soul.

Happy Valentines Day, Mates!

·
Registered
23 Posts
In High School science class, we learned that power decreases the further you go out from the source.
So, putting power to the ground, the larger the wheel the less power gets to the ground. Then it makes the engine do more work to turn a larger wheel and try to get the same power to the ground.
I loved the 15" wheels on my 2013 Soul, and I grudgingly accepted 16" wheels on my 2020 Soul.

Happy Valentines Day, Mates!
One problem with that logic...
I used a Tire Size Calculator. The 17" wheel EX gets 215/55 R17 tires. The 18" wheel gets 235/45 R18 tires. According to the tire size calculator the diameter (26.3") and circumference has a .1" difference. (82.6" vs 82.7") Believe it or not - the revs per mile is off by one rev or 82.7 inches per mile) I think the MPG drop is due to the width causing more friction with the road, not the diameter of the tire.

BTW - I use this Tire Size Calculator all of the time. I used it to compare tires and wheels before I bought the Soul.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,512 Posts
One problem with that logic...
I used a Tire Size Calculator. The 17" wheel EX gets 215/55 R17 tires. The 18" wheel gets 235/45 R18 tires. According to the tire size calculator the diameter (26.3") and circumference has a .1" difference. (82.6" vs 82.7") Believe it or not - the revs per mile is off by one rev or 82.7 inches per mile) I think the MPG drop is due to the width causing more friction with the road, not the diameter of the tire.

BTW - I use this Tire Size Calculator all of the time. I used it to compare tires and wheels before I bought the Soul.
Agree. Tire width, total tire/wheel weight, tread compound, have an obvious effect. A fatter tire pushes more air at 75 MPH too.

I use Tire Rack to compare tires. Weight, revs per mile, diameter, etc.

Aah - just did a little search on the Kia sales site - It's not a misprint... On the EX you get 29/35/31 MPG (Standard 17-inch Wheels) 27/33/30 MPG (Optional 18-inch Wheels)
Big heavy wheels kill MPG.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found something very interesting - so interesting it may be a misprint.
I was looking on 2020 Kia Soul Specifications and was comparing the trim levels (LX, S & EX).
According to their chart the EX model gets 29/35/31MPG (City/Highway/Combined). The other 2.0L models get 27/33/30 MPG. Has anyone seen this info anywhere else?

I'm intrigued...
I have an EX with 17" wheels, so I was curious about the mileage difference also. I posted the same question here... 2020 EX EcoDynamics & Mileage

I don't think it's a misprint. My EX window sticker also shows the higher mileage estimate, in contrast to the other trim lines.

The wheel size comparison is interesting. Thanks for the calculator link. The curious thing is that Soul models with 16" wheels (LX & S) and 18" wheels (X-Line, GT-Line 2.0 & EX Designer) all have the same EPA mileage. Only the EX non-Designer, with 17" wheels, has the slightly higher mileage estimate, along with an "ECOdynamics" badge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an EX with 17" wheels, so I was curious about the mileage difference also. I posted the same question here... 2020 EX EcoDynamics & Mileage

I don't think it's a misprint. My EX window sticker also shows the higher mileage estimate, in contrast to the other trim lines.

The wheel size comparison is interesting. Thanks for the calculator link. The curious thing is that Soul models with 16" wheels (LX & S) and 18" wheels (X-Line, GT-Line 2.0 & EX Designer) all have the same EPA mileage. Only the EX non-Designer, with 17" wheels, has the slightly higher mileage estimate, along with an "ECOdynamics" badge.
That's strange... How's the width of the S and LX tires? I don't think they are high performance. Also curious why Kia wouldn't offer the tires with the most mileage to all but the performance models to help with their CAFE standards.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,512 Posts
I didn't find much on a search for ECO Dynamics. I presume it's a trim and aero kit. Maybe a grille blocker at highway speeds.

OK, found this: Eco Dynamics

21 - 35 of 35 Posts