Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see any recent posts about this with the search. The worst I have got so far is 31.82 average doing the math when filling it up. The other times were 34+, and 33+. I do drive 46 miles on the highway usually 5 days a week. but I have driven around town and back roads too. I knew it would be better than my last vehicle but I did not expect that much. Obviously, very happy with that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Soul is still new to me which means I spend a lot of time idling while playing with all the gadgets. That’ll drop my mpg down but the lowest I’ve seen so far is 34.8. When actually trying to drive inefficiently (sport mode, I SS off and quick acceleration), I still could only get it down to 31 mpg! Normally I drive in town, speed limit, hit all green lights because they are timed to the speed limits - and I average around 52mpg. Yes, 52! Starting off from a dead stop is definitely what knocks the mpg down. I’ve noticed that 40-45 mph is the sweet spot and gives me around 70-72 mpg. This car gives near-identical fuel economy as my 250cc Honda scooter, which also has a cvt. It’s just about 1500lbs lighter than the Soul!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,432 Posts
That's great mileage guys. I think Kia rates it at 27/33. I do the same thing in my Gen2 Limacharlie, idling too much in the winter. Sometimes just to warm us up while eating lunch & listening to SiriusXM. The mpgs drop quickly but it's still pretty efficient.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,432 Posts
After 5 months I'm averaging 34 mpg around town, and 37 on longer highway trips. Couldn't be happier since trading away my '17 Ford Edge.
Glad to hear you couldn't he happier with your new Soul VAHAMSTAH!

My friends MIL just bought a new 2019 Edge this weekend. Is it a good vehicle? What can she expect with an Edge?

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've only looked at the day mileage message on the dash when you turn the car off and I've never seen it higher than 31.5 or so, and that's with some freeway miles. Just city is more like 29. Still, these numbers seem fantastic to me since every other car I've ever owned was more like 18-22 mpg ...of premium gas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glad to hear you couldn't he happier with your new Soul VAHAMSTAH!

My friends MIL just bought a new 2019 Edge this weekend. Is it a good vehicle? What can she expect with an Edge?

Thanks!
I had the Titanium trim level on my Edge. It was solid. No issues at all. She should swap out all the decorative 2-piece lug bolts. They tend to swell and extremely difficult to get off without destroying them. Loved the gas pump.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself, let me just say (again) that your MPG is totally under the control of your right foot.

Whenever possible, I use a throttle control technique used by 'High Milers', called P&G, (Pulse and Glide).
That's where I give the car enough gas to get up to speed, and then I back off of the throttle (gas pedal) briefly to let the car more or less Coast. Then gently give the car just enough gas to maintain the speed. If you do it right, your passenger(s) will never notice what you're doing, but you'll be getting increased gas mileage.
You'll never notice it, but Cruise Control will do essentially the same thing.

I've been using the P&G technique for so long, that it's become a sub-conscious thing, and I don't even think about it.

Happy Trails, Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ugh, I thought I was doing good at 29.4 MPG (haven't reset the MPG since buying it new). I'm thinking maybe I should, as the engine has loosened up considerably as I have almost 26,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Ugh, I thought I was doing good at 29.4 MPG (haven't reset the MPG since buying it new). I'm thinking maybe I should, as the engine has loosened up considerably as I have almost 26,000 miles on it.
My 2015 mpg auto-resets everytime the tank is filled. Do the 2020s not do that?

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
14,975 Posts

it varies depending on the model, due to different instrument clusters available. My 2016 has the Supervision cluster and I can control how I want the fuel economy to reset. This feature maybe available on lower models or perhaps all of them for G3 version.

·
Registered
79 Posts

The 2020 gives a few options through settings access through steering wheel controls. If I remember right its something along the lines of reset at refill, reset upon start, and manual reset (least sure about the last one).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Engage, I've been trying to figure how to get mine to not reset every fill. I'd prefer to see long term MPG figures rather than every tank. I've diddled with the steering settings to no avail.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Engage, I've been trying to figure how to get mine to not reset every fill. I'd prefer to see long term MPG figures rather than every tank. I've diddled with the steering settings to no avail.
If you have the LCD, type B, instrument cluster, it's an option as conwelpic pictured above: User Settings>Settings>AVG Fuel Eco Reset

·
Registered
129 Posts
Man oh man. I get 27.9 over the last 3500 miles. Why do I suck so bad? Lot of surface street driving. But in traffic i can get as much as 40 for some miles.
That's pretty normal; I get around this due to constant stop-n-go. Now if it's a holiday week, then I get 30 or above average. Considering I used to get 23.5 mpg with my 2012 on a normal 'crazy busy' workday commute (40 miles round trip), I'm a happy camper to get about 4.5 mpg more each time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I haven't looked, but mine is manual reset at the moment. I was going to check if I could change that since my 2012 reset each time and that is what I'm used to. I like to see what each tank does to make sure there are no major changes in mpg, which may indicate it's not running properly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My Soul is still new to me which means I spend a lot of time idling while playing with all the gadgets. That’ll drop my mpg down but the lowest I’ve seen so far is 34.8. When actually trying to drive inefficiently (sport mode, I SS off and quick acceleration), I still could only get it down to 31 mpg! Normally I drive in town, speed limit, hit all green lights because they are timed to the speed limits - and I average around 52mpg. Yes, 52! Starting off from a dead stop is definitely what knocks the mpg down. I’ve noticed that 40-45 mph is the sweet spot and gives me around 70-72 mpg. This car gives near-identical fuel economy as my 250cc Honda scooter, which also has a cvt. It’s just about 1500lbs lighter than the Soul!
Have you ever filled up, drove until you needed gas, refilled and did the math?

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,512 Posts
That is simply not possible. Somewhere a calculator is off, big time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts