Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hope I'm not duplicating but I did a search first, but we appear to have something similar for the G1 but not the G2 which is quite a different vehicle. Post anything that you might have discovered after purchase your G2 or wasn't aware of or thought was a good idea or perhaps not mentioned in the owners manual. I'll start it off since just recently trading my 2012 for a 2016 and have notice a few little things that I didn't realize initially. There will be variations between US & Canadian models too.

3 of the seat belts (not the drivers obviously) have a loop in the rear which I presume it prevents it from banging against the side plastic (notice it did that on my passengers side sometimes on my 2012)

- the insert in the cup holders are removable (was not the case in my 2012).
- in the LCD Supervision cluster, when you turn off the engine it will show you for a few seconds the distance of your last trip since you last turned on the engine and the fuel economy. You can also see this info if you turn it on but not start it at any time prior to the next start.
- self-holding hood struts
- when I turn on a signal my DRL goes out on that side till it cancels.
- more substantial padding under the engine cover assembly

- more ground wires in the engine area

- connection port next to the engine fuse box
- larger clear body protection at rear of the back side doors

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,404 Posts
Thanks Conwel. These are all things I've appreciated over the last 2 years of G2 ownership. It goes to show how well built & feature-rich the Soul is.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some more features that I appreciate

- sun glass holder next to map lights (n/a in 2012)
- glove box light that comes on when you open it (2012 you had to have the headlight switch on for it to work)
- drivers and passengers express up/down (2012 only on the driver's window and down only)
- centre console armrest (only had armrest for the driver's seat on my 2012 - wife did not appreciate that - now she is happy :sneakiness:)

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
some more features that I appreciate

- sun glass holder next to map lights (n/a in 2012)
- glove box light that comes on when you open it (2012 you had to have the headlight switch on for it to work)
- drivers and passengers express up/down (2012 only on the driver's window and down only)
- centre console armrest (only had armrest for the driver's seat on my 2012 - wife did not appreciate that - now she is happy :sneakiness:)
Conwell did you notice the safety feature in the express up/down windows? If the glass hits an object while going up, like someones fingers, it immediately reverses.

It took me awhile to get up the nerve to demonstate this to a friend, but I did. A quick small pinch, no pain, and it reversed. So cool.

I accidentally pinned my sisters fingers in my Acura passenger window once. Didn't even think about her hand in the window.

No, really, it was an accident :O. Hahaha......

Was the glove box door damped in the 2012? Another cool, upscale feature.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I love my G2 over my G1. I really feel like kia is trying hard to improve this car. It makes me wonder what a G3 is going to look like. My only (almost issue) is the trunk space feels smaller. I haven't had the car long so It might be in my head.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Conwell did you notice the safety feature in the express up/down windows? If the glass hits an object while going up, like someones fingers, it immediately reverses.
Was the glove box door damped in the 2012? Another cool, upscale feature.
- I was aware of the obstacle-detecting feature on the front windows but haven't tried it or had the need so far. Can't recall if that feature was on my 2012.
- don't think the damper was on the glove box door on my 2012, but then the release handle was in the upper centre of the door so it would not really do much good as you are already holding the door when you open it, unlike on the G2

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I love my G2 over my G1. I really feel like kia is trying hard to improve this car. It makes me wonder what a G3 is going to look like. My only (almost issue) is the trunk space feels smaller. I haven't had the car long so It might be in my head.
no you are not imagine it, it is slightly less
cargo behind rear seat (not including the under floor cargo tray): G1 - 19.3 cu. ft.; G2 - 18.8 cu. ft.
cargo behind first row: G1 - 53.4; G2 - 49.5
I think part of this might be the fact the G2 seats are thicker, so don't sit as flat.

However, the rear opening is 2.5" wider on the G2 vs the G1

·
Registered
95 Posts
cargo behind rear seat (not including the under floor cargo tray): G1 - 19.3 cu. ft.; G2 - 18.8 cu. ft.
I think part of this might be the fact the G2 seats are thicker, so don't sit as flat.

I found out you can fit an 85 inch steel door with frame in a Soul:)

20160417_172714.jpg

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I am hoping with the G3 they don't mess with overall shape of the body, this I believe is what makes the soul hard to resist. Improve everything else if they want to, but leave the overall appearance alone.

Pat.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A cool feature I recently discovered was that the front door map pockets have a red led lighting them up @ night- not too noticeable on a black door panel unless there is something light or white in the pocket .

·
Registered
320 Posts
I love the map lights. I'm still not sure how to turn them off. I am a little sad that the speaker lights got dimmed from the previous model. The old ones you could see during the day. My G2 speaker lights I cannot. < wouldn't mind map lights in the front and back as well as speaker lights :). Probably too much to ask for. I'm OCD like that. My favorite part of the G2 soul though is the rear of it.

The rear reflectors look like they should be lights as well.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts

I'll add to this that Gen2 has 61.3 cf of cargo room behind the front seats (about 15% larger than Gen1). The 49.5 cf conwel mentions is with the tri-storage bin in place. You can remove the bin and lower the floor for more cargo room.

I'm not sure if Gen1 had underfloor storage bins??

Gen2 is slightly wider & longer than Gen1. Height wise it's about 1/2" less.

Source: Edmunds.com

·
Registered
150 Posts
It seems dual front auto windows shouldn't be part of the base model, but my '14 MT has them... I believe it has heated mirrors, but I haven't verified yet. I thought I read somewhere they were standard, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems dual front auto windows shouldn't be part of the base model, but my '14 MT has them... I believe it has heated mirrors, but I haven't verified yet. I thought I read somewhere they were standard, but I could be wrong.
yes they are for the 2014 model year in the US.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
And we have side markers (turn signals on the fenders) as well. These 3 features only on the 2014 year base MT are arguably worth about $2,000 (dealer installed). I added cruise for $72 & center console with armrest for $275 myself.

For a "Base" stick shift, pretty dang nice ride. I think Kia kept the "teaser price" down by removing those 3 nice features (auto passenger window, heated mirrors & side markers) after 2014. I use all of them regularly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
And we have side markers (turn signals on the fenders) as well. These 3 features only on the 2014 year base MT are arguably worth about $2,000 (dealer installed). I added cruise for $72 & center console with armrest for $275 myself.

For a "Base" stick shift, pretty dang nice ride. I think Kia kept the "teaser price" down by removing those 3 nice features (auto passenger window, heated mirrors & side markers) after 2014. I use all of them regularly.
Good to know! I'm adding keyless entry for $11, and a sliding, custom center armrest for $140. They should both be here today... hopefully. Since I'm working 2 of my jobs today, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to install them both, as long as they both show up today.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
another improved feature over the G1 - the floor cargo cover: its now more substantial and fits in place more easily, the old one snapped in place and was a bit awkward to snap back in, almost felt like it could break when removing, but the G2 cover just slides into place easily and the fold on it is much better and makes it that much easier to access the under floor storage box. Also I prefer the larger dividers that are in the G2 vs my G1 - more useful and also the side hooks are much better.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Kinda small thing but anyone notice on the G2 that it has pads on the seat belts doesn't scratch the center console? My G1 center console got hit quite a bit from the seat belts.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
like this feature that is standard on the SX model here in Canada - the LED portage luggage lamp, already used it a couple of times, now I always know where a flash light is and will always be fully charged. It takes 2 AAA rechargeable batteries.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
^^^^That is a really cool feature conwel.

Reactions: RedGeminiPA
1 - 20 of 56 Posts