Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm interested in buying a kia soul used
My big question is though should I go for a 2nd gen exclame! turbo or a 2020 s, they're about the same price and similar mileage. Oh I'm buying used btw. Also I don't know too much on how the forum works should I post this in both gen 2 and gen 3 or is their a better place for this? Thanks for you advice in advance

·
Registered
649 Posts
I would avoid turbos. They are more trouble than is worth.

My next item to avoid is Direct Gasoline Injection (2012+ on 1.LK, 2014+ on 2.0L).
A bunch of engine fires and recalls on the 1.6L engine Gen2. Kia dropped the GDI in the 1.6L and 2.0L non-turbo engines starting with 2019 (Gen3), so that's a sign...

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,307 Posts
My big question is though should I go for a 2nd gen exclame! turbo or a 2020 s, they're about the same price and similar mileage. Oh I'm buying used btw. Also I don't know too much on how the forum works should I post this in both gen 2 and gen 3 or is their a better place for this? Thanks for you advice in advance
Welcome to the forum Jimbob. You'll be getting essentially the same engine and DCT transmission no matter which year of turbo you choose. It may come down to styling & feature differences between the 2 gens.

Here's some info on the turbo

2020 Kia Soul GT Line Turbo: Pros And Cons

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
JimBob,
I drove a Gen-1 Soul for seven years, and during that time I test drove many of the Gen-2 Souls, including the Turbo.
I loved my little Gen-1 Soul, but NEVER did like any of the Gen-2's.

It was a real stretch, to go from Gen-1 to Gen-3 in one jump. But, I did my homework and some research, and a thorough test drive, (which scared the crap out of the poor salesman. The next day he retied!) and found that the Gen-3 is (almost) a totally NEW car. It's still called a Soul, but the similarity with the Gen-2 pretty much stops there.
I've been driving my 2020 Soul now since May of 2019, and I've truly fallen in LOVE with her.
Going from a 2013 Soul to a 2020 Soul, is almost like going from a Chevy to a Benz.
I'm SO glad that I just skipped over the Gen-2 (five years) Series.

Like so many others, you don't say where you're from, but, , , if you were anywhere close to Central FL, I'd love to give you a test drive in my own 2020 Soul.
You stated that you want to buy used, and I won't even ask WHY? But the 2020 Souls are starting to show up on the used car lots.

Keep us in the loop. I'm sure we'd love to see what you settle on.
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Buy new and the warranty will be much longer.
In 2020, the Kia Soul engine to buy is the 2.0 MPI. No more TGDI / GDIS of the past in 2.0.

·
Registered
592 Posts
While I have had mostly used cars my entire life (9 used - 4 new), it seems that in the past 10 years the used ones are almost as expensive as the new ones after rebates and incentives. When we bought our '20 Soul LX with IVT, the sticker was $20,000. At the time, I was eligible for $2,500 in rebates (military, Kia cash back, and a misc $500 "gotta ask" rebate). With the discount off MSRP, we bought the car for $16,500. At the same time, used '18s and '19s with 30K miles were selling for $15,000. And with the used, the powertrain warranty is cut to 5-yr/60K miles, something that would be a very important consideration buying a turbo. In my case, it was choosing between having 30K miles of powertrain warranty remaining, or 100K miles with a new one.

Another thing to consider is that many (not all) people who buy a turbo Soul buy them to use in a "sporting manner", meaning many have been rode hard and put away wet.

Remember, the true cost of owning a car is the difference in price between what you pay for it and what you sell it for at the end, plus maintenance, repairs, insurance, gas, etc.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Amen, Brother!
Buy new and you get to break it in the way you want.
Hopefully, I'll never have to buy another used car in my life.
Every one I ever bought had some kind of problem that either cost me money, or left me walking along side a busy highway.

Good Luck,
:cool:

·
Registered
2020 GT-Line Turbo Cherry Black
72 Posts
I've had a Gen one Shadow Dragon, Gen 2 1.6 & my wife has a Gen 2 2.0 Exclaim. I looked @ the 2018 Exclaim Turbo & 2020 GT- Line turbo. I disagree w/ the post article. The 2020 1/2 GT has a better tune on the shifting that the 2018 Gen 2.
Inside everything "fits" better. The middle cubby will fit a moblie phone & still has room for other stuff. The cup holders are better spaced. Speakers are better. Seats are snugger & fit great after I just took a 1400 mile road trip. The Turbo for me is peppy & fun.
There's there's just so many ways they took the Gen 2 and made it just a little better in all aspects for the Gen 3.

I decided on the Gen 3 Turbo 2020 instead of the 2018. I tried the S and the EX in the Gen 3 and the headlights in both were dismal. Before you buy one without the LED lights, take it for a drive in the dark. I really like the New Gen 3 but their headlights are pitiful if you don't get the LEDs.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Duh! I drive a 2020 LX, and occasionally I have to drive home in the dark. My headlights are just fine. Maybe you need to have your headlights re-adjusted. Or new glasses! :)

Happy Trails, Mate!
:cool:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm not being a jerk, I've been blinded by Jerks that want to use 747 Landing Lights on their car, to the detriment of everyone else on the highway.
Yes - that's exactly what KMC Factory LED headlights are like.
Death Rays.
OR - perhaps you missed the point FLHamster.
Wonder which?

Reactions: SteveMW

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
94 Posts
I've had a Gen one Shadow Dragon, Gen 2 1.6 & my wife has a Gen 2 2.0 Exclaim. I looked @ the 2018 Exclaim Turbo & 2020 GT- Line turbo. I disagree w/ the post article. The 2020 1/2 GT has a better tune on the shifting that the 2018 Gen 2.
Inside everything "fits" better. The middle cubby will fit a moblie phone & still has room for other stuff. The cup holders are better spaced. Speakers are better. Seats are snugger & fit great after I just took a 1400 mile road trip. The Turbo for me is peppy & fun.
There's there's just so many ways they took the Gen 2 and made it just a little better in all aspects for the Gen 3.

I decided on the Gen 3 Turbo 2020 instead of the 2018. I tried the S and the EX in the Gen 3 and the headlights in both were dismal. Before you buy one without the LED lights, take it for a drive in the dark. I really like the New Gen 3 but their headlights are pitiful if you don't get the LEDs.
I have the 2020 Designer EX and it has what Kia calls projector headlights and they are great. I'm not blinding any other drivers. I love all the safety features of the designer EX. Get the car that's good for you. I drive slow so a turbo would be a waste for me. Welcome to the forum Rev!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks
Those are the led projectors I have on mine. Love 'em

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,307 Posts
Buy new and the warranty will be much longer.
In 2020, the Kia Soul engine to buy is the 2.0 MPI. No more TGDI / GDIS of the past in 2.0.
Isn't the 2.0 MPI engine the only engine to buy unless you opt for the 1.6 turbo, which is the exact same turbo used in Gen 2 Souls?

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would avoid turbos. They are more trouble than is worth.
While that may have been true in the 80's or early 90's, technology has advanced greatly in the last 20+ years and they are just as reliable as other engines. I personally wouldn't avoid a turbo, having owned 2 previously and having no issues related to the turbos.

·
Registered
649 Posts
While that may have been true in the 80's or early 90's, technology has advanced greatly in the last 20+ years and they are just as reliable as other engines. I personally wouldn't avoid a turbo, having owned 2 previously and having no issues related to the turbos.
How long did you owned them? Leased 3 years, brand new? I am thinking about long term ownership, I keep all my cars in average 19 years, that's why I used "I won't..."
Why use a turbo with an i4 when the same results are achievable with an aspirated V6. The fuel economy difference, for the same engine power and car mass, in city driving, is zero. On highway driving, it might be 1 mpg.

Those are popular in EU because they have huge artificial taxes on any engine over 2.0L, but there is nothing added for turbos. It was devised as a way to keep the US imports out of EU.

·
Registered
72 Posts
How long did you owned them? Leased 3 years, brand new? I am thinking about long term ownership, I keep all my cars in average 19 years, that's why I used "I won't..."
Why use a turbo with an i4 when the same results are achievable with an aspirated V6. The fuel economy difference, for the same engine power and car mass, in city driving, is zero. On highway driving, it might be 1 mpg.

Those are popular in EU because they have huge artificial taxes on any engine over 2.0L, but there is nothing added for turbos. It was devised as a way to keep the US imports out of EU.
Hey Sonic - what you driving! wow 19 years! Good rides. Too bad the soul only has a track record since 2010.
Mine unfortunately have died @ the hands of others (been hit/ totaled 2x in a 2010 & 2014). I'm hopeful w/ my new 2020 GT Turbo.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My wife is still driving her 2011 Soul Exclaim and we plan to keep it driving unless, knock on wood, something bad is to happen - like in your case.

I have just "upgraded" this year to a 2011 Toyota RAV4 :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts