Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its odd,,it just started when the weather turned cold,,I commute about twenty miles each way,,about the time I get there,,or back home,,I start smelling this electrical insulation smell,,and I say that because I've work in the electrical industry all my life,, everything seems to work,,I just turned 15,000 on her, and shes done great,,but,,this concerns me,,after getting home,,you can smell it in the garage after she sets there awhile, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this,,thanks for looking!!:eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Yes, I have noticed it in the past but not this year. If it continues I would get it checked out. Probably some wiring touching something hot in hot water coil or fan circuit. Is it isolated to the cabin? When I had the smell it was only briefly and I only noticed it in the garage, not while I was driving. I chalked it up to being new and its first winter last year.

BTW, where is Kimper?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there,,Kimper is in Pike county,,just outside Pikeville,,my step daughter lives just south of Louisville,,called Penn run road,,thanks for writing,,and for the info,,what model is your soul?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Model is in the signature line, but I have a base 2012 auto and an Exclaim. The smell I was referring to was in the Exclaim, I do not recall the smell in the base. Is it Penn Run or Pennsylvania Run Road? I live in the south of the metro area almost in Bullitt County but not quite, between Okolona and Hill View. Pennsylvania Run is my life line to Outer Loop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol,,yes,,it is Pennsylvania run road,,and yup,,we have the second largest grossing Wal Mart east of the Mississippi,,,believe it or not!!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Lol,,yes,,it is Pennsylvania run road,,and yup,,we have the second largest grossing Wal Mart east of the Mississippi,,,believe it or not!!
Not hard to believe, you have a lot of small communities around there to draw from. Good luck with your issue, hope you find it or it goes away soon. Could just be new stuff burning off the winter gear for its first use.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
a smell should be easy to track down, is in the engine compartment or inside the vehicle? Is the heater running?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Its odd,,it just started when the weather turned cold,,I commute about twenty miles each way,,about the time I get there,,or back home,,I start smelling this electrical insulation smell,,and I say that because I've work in the electrical industry all my life,, everything seems to work,,I just turned 15,000 on her, and shes done great,,but,,this concerns me,,after getting home,,you can smell it in the garage after she sets there awhile, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this,,thanks for looking!!:eek:
Have you examined the underside of the car?.... Like, for any wiring that could be touching the exhaust system? Or any wiring touching something it should not be?

On my last car, the SX4, there was a big bundle of wires that could rub on the left shock tower and eventually rub all the way through the insulation. POOF!

Let your nose lead you to the problem.

Good Luck,
TM :cool:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have you ruled out a brake dragging? Depending on the compound used in the pad material they can smell like ozone or other "hot" electrical odors. Get a no touch IR temp probe and when the smell shows up walk around and shoot the brake rotors/drums/wheel hubs looking for a hot one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts