Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
No. You can put one in there but you can't use the storage bin floor or the foam organizer the right way.

Just curious: why do you want/ need a full size spare? I've had to use a spare once in the past decade. I wouldn't want to drag a full size spare around for a decade for that one time I need a spare. I had to use my donut tire in the spring and drove 15 miles on it and it rode fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great question. I have a spare, but I frequently make long distance trips. I just bought this car and it's uses tires I'm going to swap out for better tires suited to north eastern winters, but I'd like to have these original four tires on stand bye for spares should I blow a tire. I just don't want to get caught in the middle of a six hour drive and have to put a donut on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. You can put one in there but you can't use the storage bin floor or the foam organizer the right way.

Just curious: why do you want/ need a full size spare? I've had to use a spare once in the past decade. I wouldn't want to drag a full size spare around for a decade for that one time I need a spare. I had to use my donut tire in the spring and drove 15 miles on it and it rode fine.
Great question. I have a spare, but I frequently make long distance trips. I just bought this car and it's uses tires I'm going to swap out for better tires suited to north eastern winters, but I'd like to have these original four tires on stand bye for spares should I blow a tire. I just don't want to get caught in the middle of a six hour drive and have to put a donut on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does a full size kia soul 2013 tire fit in the tire hold without causing storage problems?
Yes…..but not with the black foam storage thing; the jack tools will fit around or in the tire
Wheel well; I keep an old towel in and among loose items do they won’t t bounce and clink.
The oem cargo shelf cover will still fit over every thing. Try it and see for your self.
😊👍

·
Registered
345 Posts
Keep in mind tires oxidize when exposed to air. Saving those tires beyond six years just means you'll be installing one that is unsafe.

·
Registered
2020 kia soul base
8 Posts

Well,when you ride out WEST,miles and miles and get a flat ,the small tire will not last long, also if riding in snow for distance traction from that type of tire is not a life saver

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,460 Posts
Well,when you ride out WEST,miles and miles and get a flat ,the small tire will not last long, also if riding in snow for distance traction from that type of tire is not a life saver
When I was in college my donut spare tire was on almost a year (money was tight, brainpower was light). Those things are pretty dang durable. It's not like they used subpar materials to make them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Being a senior and believing in overkill ….. i
removed my doughnut; got a full-size wheel from the local wrecking; purchased a blemished tire; put the full-size spare in the factory “well;” displaced all the items normally kept in the “well “ throughout the soul cabin. No regrets…full size spare for full size road.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Being a senior and believing in overkill ….. i
removed my doughnut; got a full-size wheel from the local wrecking; purchased a blemished tire; put the full-size spare in the factory “well;” displaced all the items normally kept in the “well “ throughout the soul cabin. No regrets…full size spare for full size road.
Did you check the manufacture date on the tire. If over six years ago, it's unsafe to use. Plus it could have internal damage not appearing on the exterior. Just say'n.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Slightly off topic but, do the holes around the rim make any difference? When I look online for used donuts in the T125/80D16 sizes I see them for Rondo, Optima, Hyundia, etc. The only difference I see is the number of holes and the sizes of the holes around the inside of the rim. I even had one seller tell me not to buy his because I "need the small holes" not the large like he had? I have even seen some with no holes at all so, what exactly am I looking for IF I want to add the spare?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Slightly off topic but, do the holes around the rim make any difference? When I look online for used donuts in the T125/80D16 sizes I see them for Rondo, Optima, Hyundia, etc. The only difference I see is the number of holes and the sizes of the holes around the inside of the rim. I even had one seller tell me not to buy his because I "need the small holes" not the large like he had? I have even seen some with no holes at all so, what exactly am I looking for IF I want to add the spare?
Since you know the donut matches your tire/rim size, then verify that the diameter of the holes used to bolt on the wheels is the same as your existing wheels. If they were smaller, then it will not go on. If larger, then the rim won't fit correctly. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since you know the donut matches your tire/rim size, then verify that the diameter of the holes used to bolt on the wheels is the same as your existing wheels. If they were smaller, then it will not go on. If larger, then the rim won't fit correctly. Just my thoughts.
Not the lug nut holes. The ones around the rim. Like this:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you RTB. That helps and I appreciate you taking the time to look at yours. Still not clear on why the holes matter at all though? I see lots of donuts available on Ebay for that hub size and some don't even have the holes. :unsure:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thank you RTB. That helps and I appreciate you taking the time to look at yours. Still not clear on why the holes matter at all though? I see lots of donuts available on Ebay for that hub size and some don't even have the holes. :unsure:
You're welcome! Also, regarding the holes, I suspect they're there to lighten the weight of the wheel without compromising its integrity. And even if it's only a pound, it is less weight to drag around and impact your fuel economy (what do import racers do - pull out seats, spare tire, and anything that keeps the vehicle from going fast). And Kia/Hyundai probably what the least amount of weight to reduce shipping costs. If eBay has solid wheels, shouldn't matter if all other dimensions are what you need.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts