Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY full service tranny oil change 1.6 auto

As promised I was going to post how to do a DIY full tranny oil change the right way without using any kind of machine or paying ridiculous dealer prices.
Sorry if the pictures come out sideways if someone can fix them I would appreciate it.

Tools needed are very basic
1. Needle nose pliers (to remove the clamp of the cooler line)
2. Transmission oil funnel
3. 2'-3' of 9.5mm hose (don't matter the type I used fuel line I had laying around.)
4. Not shown on photo an empty container capable of holding at least 3 gallons

20181115_151512.jpg

I bought 3 gallons or 12qts of Valvoline ATF rated for my tranny. I suggest you buy OEM Tranny oil. since no one local sold it I ended up with Valvoline.

Step 1.
Locating the return cooler line. (the easiest way to do this is by having the car up to temp and feeling both lines coming from the tranny, obviously the hotter one is the the output hot line and the colder line is the return line this is the one you want to remove) in this case looking at the photo it will be the one with the yellow marking

20181115_131358.jpg

Step 2.
You are going to remove that line directly from the tranny and route it outside the car, I decided to pass it thru the front bumper grill opening on the passenger side and inside the container its long enough.

20181115_124303.jpg

20181115_131553.jpg

Step 4.
Get your hose and install it on the cold side hard line (yellow marking line on the tranny) and then shove the end of the funnel to the line and secure the funnel up high. This is how I did it

20181115_131516.jpg

Step 5.
You can do this yourself or have somebody help you. Make sure your car is in park.

You will start up you car up and watch all the oil get dumped out into your container until it starts to splater and no more oil comes out (normally it takes 30 seconds for this process) once it stops turn off the engine.

20181115_131522.jpg

Step 6.
I measured how much tranny oil got dumped out my car and it measured exactly 4 quarts or one gallon, yours may differ SO MEASURE!! Engine is off during this step.
Knowing exactly how much oil came out I put exactly the same amount back in this process takes a while considering your trying to put oil thru a very small line and the only preassure is gravity so take your time.

20181115_131516.jpg

Step 7.
Start up car again this time your watching for the cleanliness of the oil. Oil should start looking somewhat clean, it should have a very light orange to pink color( note my car has 91k and probably still had the factory tranny fluid and it was very dark it was close to a brown color I had to go the extra step and buy 12 quarts or 3 gallons in total for a clean flush)

Step 8.
Repeat step 7 if your tranny oil still looks dark.
Or refill your tranny again measuring the oil that came and adding the same amount, reconnect the cold side tranny line back and start up car let it get back up to temp or go for a cruise to let the tranny reach operating temp. With the car running in park and with the E brake engaged iremove the 3/8" drive bolt in front of the valve body cover counter clock wise to loosen ( it not a a threaded bolt its more of a locking nut like you will see in some fuel caps) note if you did this correct oil should dribble out this hole and the flush is complete and you can install the locking bolt back on.

If no oil came out you can add it thru the vent hole on top of the tranny that also has a 3/8 drive bolt (note you will have to add at a very slow pace as this hole is a vent so if you go to fast oil will gurgle out and make a mess.) Once you see oil dribble out the valve body cover bolt hole your done reinstall the vent hole bolt and valve body cover locking bolt and your done.

Step 9.
Pop open your favorite beer and admire your DIY skills.

This is similar to what I do to very truck in our fleet and heavy equipment/ machinery and has work great.

As a disclaimer Im not responsible if your car has problems or brakes afterwards so do this on your own risk and use the correct tranny fluid design for your vehicle.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
663 Posts
FWIW, when I had a Hyundai Accent, I researched the (SPIII) tranny oil, and it turns out it was made by Valvoline. Their contract didn't allow them to sell tranny oil as SPIII, but they sold something else that was compatible (although absent the marker chemical that let Hyundai identify it as "not their oil"). So, just as good, but it there's a warranty issue they'll try to screw you.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Very nice! Though personally after the trans is emptied, I would remove the drain bolt and wipe off any metal filings that clung to it just so the drain bolt can bind up any floating particulate in the future to keep your valve body and such clear

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There shouldn't be no metal shavings at all in a tranny, clutch material maybe, but im also new to these inport auto cars so I will take it to consideration in the next tranny service.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,407 Posts
From my experience there is almost always tiny metal crap on the magnetized drain bolt. It doesn't mean there's a problem. It's the nature of the beast. If it's coated with full on shards, that's another story.

Take a minute and wipe it off, crud & all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts