Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering how others on the forum found fuel to behave in the Soul when comparing normal gas to the kind with specialized cleaners. Such as Chevron gas (with Techron) vs. those that do not have such.

Any difference?

Is it good or bad for the Soul engines, any idea?

Does GDI vs. 2.0L non-GDI make a difference in this regard?

Thanks,

Sonic

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Hi,

I was wondering how others on the forum found fuel to behave in the Soul when comparing normal gas to the kind with specialized cleaners. Such as Chevron gas (with Techron) vs. those that do not have such.

Any difference?

Is it good or bad for the Soul engines, any idea?

Does GDI vs. 2.0L non-GDI make a difference in this regard?

Thanks,

Sonic
KIA says to use Top Tier Gas if possible. If not possible, use Techron every 7500 miles.

History shows the GDI engines are somewhat more prone to problems from years of buildup at the injector. Using TT Gas or Techron is preventive maintenance. Does it help? Who knows, but the car manufacturer recommends it.

Top Tier Gasoline

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I haven't noticed a day-to-day difference, though most of the time I use a Top Tier provider (Shell). I think I'll probably just start using whatever I want and doing the 7500 mile bottle of Techron.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Kia even put out a bulletin, concerning the GDI and the need for Injector Cleaner. They specifically DO recommend the "Techron" cleaner put out by Chevron. As to how much of that they put in their gasoline? well that's debatable. I'm positive it's not in the same concentration you'll get by putting a bottle in your tank. It's one of the more expensive additives, but seems to be worth it.

Chevron does have a tendency to be higher priced than some other brands, so I just buy my gas where and when I need it and I don't favor one brand over another. All the stations where I buy gas, pump a LOT of it, so I'm pretty sure it stays fresh.
And with the 'up to 10% ethanol' in our fuel (here in FL) water in the gas is almost unheard of.

So, trying to be a good little Kia owner, I do put in a bottle of Techron every 3k miles, when I do my O&F change. Then again, at 1500 miles after an oil change, I add a little bottle of Gumout Injector Cleaner. ($3 at Dollar General stores)
I did that just last week and my Gertrude seems to pep up a bit.

Some guys are so Anti-Additive as to be total A-holes about it. If additives were BAD, oil companies would not spend billions developing them for their oils and fuels, and then advertise them so highly.

I found this little Vid, very interesting, even though it told me nothing I didn't already know. Take a look.

Jay Lenno's Garage - YouTube

I felt vindicated, that an oil Expert said what I've known for many years, about additives and oil change intervals.

I can buy Top Tier gas, or stop by the Pilot Truck Stop, or "Racetrack", and it doesn't seem to make any difference, in either performance or MPG.

Sonic, if you're ever over this way, gimme a call and I'll buy lunch.

Cheers Mate!
TechnoMage :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts