Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Over the years, I've bought and driven quite a few NEW cars. And my Kia Soul (both the 2013 and the 2020) is the first one where the manufacturer has put out a TSB (technical service bulletin) on the necessity to use a particular oil filter, (Genuine KIA Filter) for the benefit of the engine (actually the VVT system).
And, they have also suggested just ONE fuel system cleaner.
And by now, we should all know that's "Techron" from Chevron.
Yes, even the KIA dealerships sell Techron in their Parts Dept. But it's much cheaper to just get it at Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, or Walmart. I just wait for a really great SALE on it and pick up several bottles, for as low as $3 per bottle.
I always use it about two weeks Before an oil change, as we talked about some time ago. So, that's at least once every 3k miles, or three months.

Top Tier Gas, to me is a joke, when I see the same trucks (Eagle Transport) delivering gas to many different stations around the area.
And I know darn well that the same gas comes out of the big gasoline terminal in Tampa/St Pete FL.
That gas comes from Louisiana by Barge. We who know about that stuff refer to it as "Barge Gas".

When I lived in Peoria, Ill, the gasoline terminal was located just across the river, and likewise got its gasoline from barges that came up the Illinois River, from Louisiana. Every gas station in the area got their gas from the same tanks in that barge terminal, regardless of the brand name printed on the side of the tank truck delivering the gas.
So I've never been under the illusion that one brand of gasoline is better than any other.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Over the years, I've bought and driven quite a few NEW cars. And my Kia Soul (both the 2013 and the 2020) is the first one where the manufacturer has put out a TSB (technical service bulletin) on the necessity to use a particular oil filter, (Genuine KIA Filter) for the benefit of the engine (actually the VVT system).
Yes, even the KIA dealerships sell Techron in their Parts Dept. But it's much cheaper to just get it at Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, or Walmart. I just wait for a really great SALE on it and pick up several bottles, for as low as $3 per bottle.
I always use it about two weeks Before an oil change, as we talked about some time ago. So, that's at least once every 3k miles, or three months.

Top Tier Gas, to me is a joke, when I see the same trucks (Eagle Transport) delivering gas to many different stations around the area.
And I know darn well that the same gas comes out of the big gasoline terminal in Tampa/St Pete FL.
That gas comes from Louisiana by Barge. We who know about that stuff refer to it as "Barge Gas".

When I lived in Peoria, Ill, the gasoline terminal was located just across the river, and likewise got its gasoline from barges that came up the Illinois River, from Louisiana. Every gas station in the area got their gas from the same tanks in that barge terminal, regardless of the brand name printed on the side of the tank truck delivering the gas.
So I've never been under the illusion that one brand of gasoline is better than any other.

I bought a new Ram 1500 in 2013. That year they updated the 5.7L Hemi V8 with a cylinder deactivation system. That change also changed the oil filter required in order to ensure a proper seal. My first service on that vehicle at the dealer where it was purchased was a disaster. Sloppy, lazy and not on top of service and maintenance changes for the then-new model year, they installed the filter for the 2009-2012 version of the Hemi. The next morning I had oil all over my driveway. I assumed it was an improperly tightened filter and checked it with the strap wrench, but it was tight (but leaking). I then researched the issue on the internet and in one of the Ram forums found a couple of owners in other parts of the country that had the same issue, and one of them learned from the dealer when he took the truck back for correction that they discovered the wrong/old oil filter had been used.

That was the last time the selling dealer has ever seen the truck. I do my own intermediate oil changes using Havoline full synthetic and a Mobil 1 oil filter (M113A) that fits that version of the Hemi V8. Major services, TSBs and recalls have all been done by another dealer in the area. I also have a MOPAR $100 deductible factory extended warranty - 10 years/1 million miles. Truly an insane (from the manufacturer's perspective) warranty. Needless to say the 2013 Ram will b my utility vehicle for a very long time to come (on archeo-astronomy expeditions in the desert southwest). I kind of feel sorry for FCA - at some point they will be eating some hefty repair bills as I milk that warranty for all it's worth.

Thus far only two services for the Kia, both at the dealer. I'll probably start doing my own intermediate oil changes once I wear out the original tires and have new ones installed by my local Big O. I buy tires from Tirerack and have them installed bu Big O because when Big O mounts and balances the tires they give you lifetime, walk-in tire rotations for free. The main things that need to be done on intermediate services are an oil and filter change and tire rotation. At that point I can do both the same day and avoid the dealer other than major services and warranty work.

I already have my replacement tires picked out (as I really don't like the Nexens on the vehicle now; they are fragile and have already had a couple of flats from road debris in just 10k miles). I'll switch to Continental TrueContact Tours.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Reactions: SteveMW

·
Registered
81 Posts

You skipped/glossed over a step in the fuel distribution model. Gas that goes to a Chevron station gets amended as its added to the tank with Chevron's proprietary Techron additives. Gas that goes to a Shell franchisee's station likewise gets amended with Shell's proprietary additives and detergents (called "V-power"). So the fuel you put in your tank at a retail station varies in formula despite the fact the underlying raw fuel often came from a single regional refinery. That's why you shouldn't buy no-name and off brand fuels - they tend to be raw(er) without sufficient detergents or additives. That's one of the reasons off-brand gas is cheap. The other is no-name retailers don't have any advertising costs, whereas the major branders do loads of advertising that their retail franchisees and you the consumer end up having to pay for.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts