Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all- I'm a first time Soul owner and I just got my 2020 GT Line (non-turbo.) I've been reading about a lot of the issues with the injectors for the GDI engines and the need to install oil catch cans in the older models. I know this engine is different, but I need it to last a LONG time. So that being said I just passed 5k miles and did my first oil change a little bit ago. Today I put a bottle of fuel treatment (Berryman fuel injector cleaner) I figured it probably wouldn't hurt. What do you all suggest to get the longest life out of this engine?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope you like your new Soul.

The new 2.0 (non-turbo) has switched from GDI to Multi-Port Injection, where the spray of fuel actually washes off the intake valves. KIA recommends Techron, so I would stick to that just to not give them an "out" if there is a problem later that should be covered by warranty.

Using Top-Tier gas regularly and a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Concentrated Cleaner (WalMart for $5) at each oil change should keep your engine happy for many years.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,911 Posts
Welcome ecto and congrats on your GT line!

I was curious if your Owners Manual recommends an additive? For mine it even puts it in the Recommended Service interval.

GDI injectors didn't per se have a problem. It was more "where" they are placed. Like pnoman said (good advice) using a Top Tier fuel and an occasional bottle of Techron will keep those MPI injectors nice and clean.

Time will tell how long this new engine will last. I think more concern and optimism is with the IVT transmission. Alot of people seem to quite like it. If it can show long term reliability I think Kia will have a real winner on its hands.

Reactions: Ecto1 and mikewo6o

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in the minority for sure- but I'm actually a fan of CVT's in general. I like the smoothness and economy. I've been a Subaru driver for a lot of years and they have a rock solid CVT. My plan with this Soul is to put about 90k miles or so on it over the next 5 years commuting 60+ miles/day for work and then pass it on to my son. He'll be old enough and it'll be paid off at that time. So it needs to last.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Ecto said: "What do you all suggest to get the longest life out of this engine?"

I believe the general consensus would agree upon religious oil changes with a factory Kia oil filter and quality oil.
Some prefer the regular (dino) oil and that is fine.
Others prefer semi or full synthetic for the added protection they provide upon initial start-up and in extreme climates both hot & cold.
Oil, after all, is the life blood of your vehicle as is the coolant.
Coolant requires less attention however compared to the oil.
An occasional bottle of injector cleaner can't hurt and driving at varying speeds keeps things moving as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you- It sounds like just being smart about it will go a long way.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
40 Posts
For now, there have been almost no reported issues with the nu 2.0L with mpi. A few people have reported oil consumption for the first 1000 miles or so but so far it has cured itself (likely due to rings properly seating themselves). Most of us are doing standard PM and keeping a close eye on things, doing much more than that seems to be a waste of resources.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,911 Posts
Truer words have not been spoken!! In car maintenance & the game of life :)

Reactions: Ecto1

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I wasn't going to say a word, but my curiosity is just getting the better of me, so I gotta ask...
Where on earth did you buy that 2020 GT? At Joe's Used car lot?, from a guy with a heavy foreign accent?
Or, did you actually go to a bona fide KIA Dealer, where all your questions would be answered, and OH YES, they sell Techron Fuel System treatment from their Parts Desk.
And there's no better place in the World, to get the proper oil and filter, at the proper interval.

Then there's the 2,500,256 words we've already typed into this forum on the topic, since 2012. Enough already!!!

:cool:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ecto, you should also know our 2.0L engines are Atkinson cycle engines. Lots of hybrids use the Atkinson cycle engines. In a nutshell the intake valves stay open for a portion of the compression cycle before closing and some fuel air mix goes up into the intake plenum. Pretty crazy stuff, but that's the way it works. This provides a little extra efficiency but a slight loss in power. What is an Atkinson cycle engine?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't going to say a word, but my curiosity is just getting the better of me, so I gotta ask...
Where on earth did you buy that 2020 GT? At Joe's Used car lot?, from a guy with a heavy foreign accent?
Or, did you actually go to a bona fide KIA Dealer, where all your questions would be answered, and OH YES, they sell Techron Fuel System treatment from their Parts Desk.
And there's no better place in the World, to get the proper oil and filter, at the proper interval.

Then there's the 2,500,256 words we've already typed into this forum on the topic, since 2012. Enough already!!!

:cool:
As for where I bought the car- It was from a dealer and my salesman was great BUT I wouldn't expect him to tell me that previous versions of this engine are prone to issues IF you don't install an Oil Catch Can and/or run fuel system cleaner through it at certain intervals etc... His job isn't to tell me why I shouldn't buy it... I'm an adult and if I want to buy it I will- but that also means that I need to be pro-active about educating myself on how to maintain it. -HENCE MY POST- I'd even probably still buy one with a GDI engine after I've read all of the horror stories about them, but I'd want to know what I need to do to keep it going. I'm also sure I could by an engine cleaner from the dealer but I'd rather not pay the premium. As for having covered this before... I KNOW. I've read a lot of those words that have been typed about it and many of them are complaining about the GDI engine, which is what I was asking about. My question was answered promptly and respectfully by some other members leaving me better informed, feeling good about my purchase and loving my car. I think my post served it's purpose.

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
57 Posts
As for where I bought the car- It was from a dealer and my salesman was great BUT I wouldn't expect him to tell me that previous versions of this engine are prone to issues IF you don't install an Oil Catch Can and/or run fuel system cleaner through it at certain intervals etc... His job isn't to tell me why I shouldn't buy it... I'm an adult and if I want to buy it I will- but that also means that I need to be pro-active about educating myself on how to maintain it. -HENCE MY POST- I'd even probably still buy one with a GDI engine after I've read all of the horror stories about them, but I'd want to know what I need to do to keep it going. I'm also sure I could by an engine cleaner from the dealer but I'd rather not pay the premium. As for having covered this before... I KNOW. I've read a lot of those words that have been typed about it and many of them are complaining about the GDI engine, which is what I was asking about. My question was answered promptly and respectfully by some other members leaving me better informed, feeling good about my purchase and loving my car. I think my post served it's purpose.
Your post did serve it's purpose. I enjoyed reading all these posts. We're here to exchange information and different opinions on things relating to our KIA Soul's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good evening all- I'm a first time Soul owner and I just got my 2020 GT Line (non-turbo.) I've been reading about a lot of the issues with the injectors for the GDI engines and the need to install oil catch cans in the older models. I know this engine is different, but I need it to last a LONG time. So that being said I just passed 5k miles and did my first oil change a little bit ago. Today I put a bottle of fuel treatment (Berryman fuel injector cleaner) I figured it probably wouldn't hurt. What do you all suggest to get the longest life out of this engine?
Lucas automotive additives makes a fuel system additive just for gas direct injection engines,Walmart even carries it.Its in a green labeled bottle👍

·
Registered
81 Posts
No one know more about the car than the company and its engineers that designed and manufactured it. Follow the maintenance guidance of the manufacturer. Avoid aftermarket potions and snake oil. Especially with a new vehicle such panaceas are not going to have any benefit (query whether they ever have any benefit). Your car's power train warranty is 100k miles. That's a "long time".

Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Car salesmen usually know very little about the cars they sell, except for what their commission is going to be.
I've known that little tidbit for over 50 years now. That's why I always try to make friends with key people in the Service Dept. The parts man can be another valuable source of information about your car.

My Kia dealership is a one owner business, not a big impersonal corporation. The day I bought my first Kia, I was walked around and introduced to all the key players, even the Owner. Today I'm on first name basis with all the people that I regularly deal with.

More on topic...... KIA only recommends ONE fuel system additive, and that is Chevron's Techron. It's sold at every Kia dealership, and also at most Auto Parts stores, and Walmart. I buy it several bottles at a time, when a store is having a BOGO sale on it. My car likes it too. She always perks up a bit when I add a bottle of Techron to my gas tank.

For the KIA Soul, GDI (or DFI) is a dead issue. The 2020 Soul does not have it.
It doesn't take a lot of searching to find out that the 2.0L engine in the 2020 Soul is a completely new engine for the Soul. And for whatever it's worth..... I love it.

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Car salesmen usually know very little about the cars they sell, except for what their commission is going to be.
I've known that little tidbit for over 50 years now. That's why I always try to make friends with key people in the Service Dept. The parts man can be another valuable source of information about your car.

My Kia dealership is a one owner business, not a big impersonal corporation. The day I bought my first Kia, I was walked around and introduced to all the key players, even the Owner. Today I'm on first name basis with all the people that I regularly deal with.

More on topic...... KIA only recommends ONE fuel system additive, and that is Chevron's Techron. It's sold at every Kia dealership, and also at most Auto Parts stores, and Walmart. I buy it several bottles at a time, when a store is having a BOGO sale on it. My car likes it too. She always perks up a bit when I add a bottle of Techron to my gas tank.

It doesn't take a lot of searching to find out that the 2.0L engine in the 2020 Soul is a completely new engine for the Soul. And for whatever it's worth..... I love it.

Cheers Mates!
I too have been using Techron (in the black bottle) for years. as you say it tends to perk up my cars. My 2011 Forte EX loved the stuff as did my ‘03 Chevy Malibu, and assorted Subaru’s. I started using it in 2004 after my 03 Malibu’s fuel pump started failing and had to be replaced. The service manager at the Chevy dealership recommended it to prevent it from Re-occurring in the future. Ever since then the sevice departments at assorted dealers have commented on how well my engine runs. Note that also I am a firm believer in timely oil changes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As an update- I was really happy with the performance of my car after I added the Berrymans additive. I'll try Techron next time but that's in another 5k miles. I understand that I probably don't "need" to do that but I figure it probably doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As an update- I was really happy with the performance of my car after I added the Berrymans additive. I'll try Techron next time but that's in another 5k miles. I understand that I probably don't "need" to do that but I figure it probably doesn't hurt.
Also use Top-Tier fuel. Mine is regularly Shell without ethanol. While gas has been cheap here, I've been using 93 octane for three months now and I feel a nice difference.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Cheers Mates!
I've never used it (Techron additive) but out here in Nor Cal we get our gasoline without ethanol, and Chevron's main refinery is in our backyard. Chevron and Texaco fuel locally has Techron already added. I also do lots of cross country driving. I can really tell the difference when fueling up in the middle states. The gasoline is cheaper, usually laced with ethanol (gotta do something with all that corn we grow, paid for by taxpayers, that no one really wants) but it sucks. I may start packing a few bottles of Techron on road trips. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i have heard, this was many years ago the Techron adds the cleaning compounds to gas that is not top Tier. I use it because in my neck of the woods, there are not too many gas stations around that sell”top tier“ gas. Adding the Techronvery oil change solve the problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts