Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been waiting 6 months for the Rush world tour 2015 to get out here to the west coast & that time has come! Vegas @ MGM Grand 7/25 & then back here in Phoenix on Monday 7/27 for the main event......VIP Box suite tickets & Meet & Greet passes.

You will notice I posted a couple weeks ago the Alternator in my Soul failed & was replaced. Also got car serviced, cleaned & replaced a marginally bad tire in preparation for the road trip to Las Vegas.

So I arrive in Las Vegas & I'm a mile from my hotel on Las Vegas Boulevard ( The Strip ) & my Soul starts stalling, no power at all, some sputtering & backfires & it's all I can do to get over to the right & pull into a non parking area. So 2pm, 105 degrees out & looking under the hood. All I saw & felt was HEAT ! tried starting car & got it running, barely. Tried driving & had no power but would go about 5mph. actually limped it to my hotel's north entrance. Called AAA for help, they sent a tow truck & gave me a list 5 shops close by.....none sounded good. Tow driver shows up in 30 minutes & Soul still wouldn't run. I asked driver/Hector if he knew a good shop. He did & away we went. Shop was hidden in an industrial area & I really gave the owner a once over & explained my situation. He treated me like a priority. went back to the hotel, car-less. If I couldn't get Soul fix until Monday I might have to Fly home & then fly back to Vegas to retrieve my Soul, Yikes !
Well shop called about 6pm & told me it was a bad Fuel Pump & dealer item only & only 1 in Vegas. $ 450.00 for pump, $ 200.00 to install. They had it done about 1 pm Saturday, 6 hours before RUSH concert starts.

So,
What happens in Vegas
Stays in Vegas
( bad Fuel Pump )

BTW, Both Rush Concerts were F A N T A S T I C ! !

·
Registered
564 Posts
First off I love Rush as well. My 2 concert ever was the moving pictures tour.
Now your f/pump problem, I know they got you in and out quickly. But the f/pump has a list of $386.00. they got you one that one. And they don't have to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump. Labor was WAY to hi also. Sorry
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
I agree it was too much but in an unscheduled, priority repair it could have been much worse. I think he did ok. Money may not have been the highest priority in this case. Beating that punishing heat and getting to the RUSH concert was probably worth much more!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Might of paid a little more than normal but figure it was a weekend job probably on Sunday. Maybe took 2 hours at 100 per hour isn't bad.

Also figure the shop kicked back 50 to the tow driver for giving him some work.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea considering my circumstances in Vegas that weekend
Could have gotten stranded in Sin City, without a "Soul" for days .........

Exact break down was:

Pump $ 444.19
Labor $ 160.00
Taxes $ 41.38

Total $ 645.57

They had to go get the part themselves (weekend)
They waived the diagnostic fee ($80.00)
No "shop supplies" fee's ( 20.00 ? )

10 days since my Soul has "Broke" ( F-pump )
11 days ago = Tire
22 days ago = Alternator

Me & my Soul are in confidence building relationship right now.........:greedy_dollars:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
And now...a word from our sponsors: New Premium Fuel Pump Strainer Will Fit Kia Vehicles Various GA1300 Kia | eBay

Little known factoid: This is the part that actually goes bad.
No real need to replace the whole assembly, just the pump itself.
Few folks know it so they bite the bullet on a complete ASSy for 400.00+
Of course...when you are stuck there is usually no time for the research or the waiting for the part to arrive and I don't believe just the pump is easily found on most auto part shelves.
My bros jeep pump just died at 130k and it was 400.00 for the ASSy when a simple 20.00 pump was all it needed.
Another little known factoid is that often removing the pump and reversing the polarity will flush out the contaminates that often bring your original pump to a screeching hault.
A thorough immersion in seafoam, while running the correct polarity, has revived many a dead pump on my workbench!
Replacement pumps are so cheap though, it hardly seems worth the effort but for the frugal out there, it works!
Of course no one loves you like The Sradiator so... once you know, you know!
Just ask Johnny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukemPV2w8hM

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
And now...a word from our sponsors: New Premium Fuel Pump Strainer Will Fit Kia Vehicles Various GA1300 Kia | eBay

Little known factoid: This is the part that actually goes bad.
No real need to replace the whole assembly, just the pump itself.
Few folks know it so they bite the bullet on a complete ASSy for 400.00+
Of course...when you are stuck there is usually no time for the research or the waiting for the part to arrive and I don't believe just the pump is easily found on most auto part shelves.
My bros jeep pump just died at 130k and it was 400.00 for the ASSy when a simple 20.00 pump was all it needed.
Another little known factoid is that often removing the pump and reversing the polarity will flush out the contaminates that often bring your original pump to a screeching hault.
A thorough immersion in seafoam, while running the correct polarity, has revived many a dead pump on my workbench!
Replacement pumps are so cheap though, it hardly seems worth the effort but for the frugal out there, it works!
Of course no one loves you like The Sradiator so... once you know, you know!
Just ask Johnny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukemPV2w8hM
Yep. I replaced it on my Sportage. Looks like the same pump. Actually, I think half the cars in the world use the same pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts