Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
779 Posts
I'm guessing it is a personal choice, however I fill up between 1/4 and 1/8 also and do not use a specific brand all the time. Your Owner Manual says to use Techron additive IF you don't use a Top Tier gasoline. You can google/yahoo/whatever to find out what Top Tier is if you don't know.

Thanks for finally filling out your drives.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
About 350 miles I start thinking about filling up. Depending on how I've been driving this is anywhere from 1/4 to 1/8 of a tank. In any case, almost always before the gas light comes on.

I use 87 (no reason to use anything else) and I usually use Shell, though that's not hard in stone. It's just the most convenient station to me.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,163 Posts
many times I just wait till the low fuel light comes on, but then as I'm out in the country and gas stations are not too close I have to figure out what I might be doing ahead of time and then fill accordingly. I use 87 octane all the time but its not one of the top brands as none of those type of stations are close by for convenience. If I'm out somewhere and low on fuel its generally Petro Canada, Shell or Esso.

Thanks also for filling out your Drives info, but if you could just add MT or AT to that info (as the Base is available with either transmission), that would be great and we won't have to bug you anymore :sneakiness:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
many times I just wait till the low fuel light comes on, but then as I'm out in the country and gas stations are not too close I have to figure out what I might be doing ahead of time and then fill accordingly. I use 87 octane all the time but its not one of the top brands as none of those type of stations are close by for convenience. If I'm out somewhere and low on fuel its generally Petro Canada, Shell or Esso.

Thanks also for filling out your Drives info, but if you could just add MT or AT to that info (as the Base is available with either transmission), that would be great and we won't have to bug you anymore :sneakiness:
Well do...

Ya... My mom uses chevron religiously..... She wont put anything else in any of her cars...
I personally in past used whatever was cheapest.....
Soul is so much better on fuel....... So i thought i would use the best in my moms eyes

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Well do...

Ya... My mom uses chevron religiously..... She wont put anything else in any of her cars...
I personally in past used whatever was cheapest.....
Soul is so much better on fuel....... So i thought i would use the best in my moms eyes
Chevron is good. I use it too, when it's convenient, but I do have at least 6 other Gas Company CC's in my pocket, so I'm not forced to run out of fuel trying to find a Chevron station. 87 Octane from any station you find will do just fine. They (Chevron) says that they have "Techron Fuel System Cleaner" in their gas, but they don't say just how much. If it's just .0001%, then it's not doing you much good. For that reason, I still buy a bottle of Techron additive at Walmart or my Auto Parts store and put that in the tank, every time I change my oil. (every 3k)
I must be doing something right, because my Soul is running better now than when it was new.
It's just the little 1.6L, but she pulled 111.1 Horsepower on a recent Dyno Test.

Keep using Chevron 87 octane, when you can. It's good gas!

Cheers Mate!

:cool:

·
Registered
509 Posts
We try to not go below half a tank in winter time. Emergency preparedness (plus less of a chance of water condensing into the fuel during daily temperature cycles)... Summertime, though, DW usually waits until the light goes on. And it's usually the same brand because she has a credit card for that particular station. Most of the fuel comes out of the same terminal anyway; it's just mixed to the brand's specification. Go for a brand at a store that turns over its stock frequently and you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Don't you have Gasahol in Minnesota? I was glad to see that come in to Ill. years ago, because the Ethanol in the gas prevented gas line freeze up in the winter.
I was driving a company car at the time and it loved the stuff.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I try to never go below 1/2 tank. Hurricane preparedness or whatever you want to call it. A storm here can come up quick and take out power for days even to the stations. Then it is comforting to know you always have at least a half tank. I use what is close and has worked OK before. Usually Racetrack but we now have a new Wa-Wa in the area so may try that and get a coffee!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I fill mine when I get to the point where I ask myself, "Can I make it to work and back without the fuel light coming on?" If the answer is "no," then I'll fill him up.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I try never to let mine get below 1/4 tank. Usually go to Shell with occasional fill up at Costco. I had read earlier in the year that Costco has SOME top tier gas stations but not all. Just did a bit of research today and to my surprise looks to be ALL Costcos are now using top tier gas. So I probably will be using Costco the majority of the time.

http://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-gasoline.html

·
Registered
799 Posts
I just filled today. It is now full. Still under 1000 miles total also. Brought them home in March. My mpg seems low I guess but at 90% of the miles below 40mph I guess thats what you get. I dont even let the engine warm up properly before Im at the destination 10 minutes away. Hope to be able to actually go somewhere soon.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Don't you have Gasahol in Minnesota? I was glad to see that come in to Ill. years ago, because the Ethanol in the gas prevented gas line freeze up in the winter.
We have gasoline with 10% ethanol and we have E85, which is 85% ethanol and 15% (or so) gasoline. We are scheduled to move to 20% ethanol next year. Vehicles labeled "flex fuel" can burn either fuel. We also have 10% biodiesel in our diesel fuel.

It's not a panacea, of course. Ethanol can absorb only so much water. But, yes, it does not seem that people buy as much "gas line drier" as they used to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
All of the stations here use the E-85 gas and we now have several stations that have pure gas (no Ethanol added). I have started putting the pure gas in my Soul and the mpg has reall improved. My 2013 now has 8800 miles on it and using E-85 gas my mpg is between 27.8 and 28.9 but with the pure gas my mpg is 29.0 to 31.0. PLUS I think it has a little more sip to it.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Unlike years past, our Owners Manuals are very comprehensive. I've not read a BOOK for years, except my Owners manual.
Mine talks quite a bit about FUEL, and Kia says to NEVER use E85 and don't even use any gasoline that contains over 10% ethanol. Doing so can damage the car.*

*In my 2013 Owner's manual, fuel is important enough that they put it right at the front of the Manual, on page 1-3 & 1-4.

I buy some gas at my nearby Chevron station, that has the Techron fuel system additive, but how much? Since I cannot always buy Chevron gas, I buy and use the Techron fuel additive, by the bottle, at my Auto Parts Store.

It's only High School chemistry, that Ethanol (alcohol) does not contain as much Hydrogen as gasoline and Hydrogen is what makes our cars GO!
And it's not the Octane Level that makes our cars go better. Octane actually causes the gasoline to burn slower and not Detonate, which can blow the top out of a piston.
But Ethanol does the same thing.....slows the burn.

Here in Florida, all highway motor fuel (gasoline) must contain Ethanol, up to 10%. Pure Gasoline is sold only for airplanes, motor-boats and other off-road uses.

Since gas prices vary greatly from one week to the next and even from station to station, I try to keep my tank full, of the cheapest gas I can get, regardless of brand name, since most of the gas sold in this area comes from the very same bulk plant.
Since there is no guarantee that all the fuel I buy is 'Top Tier' (whatever the heck that means) I do what Kia suggests and add a bottle of "Techron fuel system cleaner" (a fuel additive) to my gas tank on every oil change or 3k miles, whichever comes first. That's critical, for all GDI engines.

If the word comes down that we must evacuate because of an approaching Hurricane, I'm ready to go. I won't have to sit in a long line at some gas station.

I think someone already mentioned Hurricane preparedness. It's something everyone in coastal areas needs to be mindful of.

Stay safe Mates!

Reactions: Soul.Master.007

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,163 Posts
Since there is no guarantee that all the fuel I buy is 'Top Tier' (whatever the heck that means) I do what Kia suggests and add a bottle of "Techron fuel system cleaner" (a fuel additive) to my gas tank on every oil change or 3k miles, whichever comes first. That's critical, for all GDI engines.
actually Kia recommends the fuel additive every 7,500 miles or 12 months providing you don't use Top Tier gasoline. This recommendation does not apply under the "severe usage conditions", so if you follow that schedule it would be every second oil change.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Don't argue with me! DFI or GDI engines have a real problem with carbon buildup right at the fuel injectors. VW had a heck of a time with it and they redesigned their GDI engine several times to get around that problem.

If I'm putting in Chevron gasoline with Techron on every fill up, that's a lot more than a couple of times a year!!! But I can't guarantee that I'm getting the correct amount of fuel system cleaner because like I said before, I fill up where I can get the best deal. So I'm putting in Techron on every oil change, and unlike you, I'm changing my oil at 3k miles, like I've been doing for over 50 years. There is NO Downside to good Maintenance. My Gertrude loves it and she always perks up and runs better every time I change the oil.

So, scream, yell and stomp your feet all you want to, and I'm going to keep right on doing what I'm doing. It works and my service manager agrees with me.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Don't argue with me! DFI or GDI engines have a real problem with carbon buildup right at the fuel injectors. VW had a heck of a time with it and they redesigned their GDI engine several times to get around that problem.

If I'm putting in Chevron gasoline with Techron on every fill up, that's a lot more than a couple of times a year!!! But I can't guarantee that I'm getting the correct amount of fuel system cleaner because like I said before, I fill up where I can get the best deal. So I'm putting in Techron on every oil change, and unlike you, I'm changing my oil at 3k miles, like I've been doing for over 50 years. There is NO Downside to good Maintenance. My Gertrude loves it and she always perks up and runs better every time I change the oil.

So, scream, yell and stomp your feet all you want to, and I'm going to keep right on doing what I'm doing. It works and my service manager agrees with me.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

Just want to start off by saying; I quite enjoy reading your posts and I think you share some pretty useful knowledge.

Why argue with an owners manual though? You get a bit hostile when people challenge you or provide reference to support their claims (ie. owners manual). I agree it doesn't hurt to be pro-active with maintenance but the majority of people are just looking to do what's suggested by Kia.

In regards to OP, I am a bit nuts about gas so I rarely even go below 3/4. If I see a good price on gas, I'm stopping!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
100's of tank full's

Cheapest regular I can find ..... last was 343.9 @ circle K

Fill only after warning light, light's ..... Usually 11+ gallons

Always bring pump up to round dollar after pump auto clicks off .... never had a splash back.

135,000 miles @ 25 mpg = Aprox 490 fill up's

:w00t:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts