Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Soul + , 1st edition 6/2009 w/ 135,000 miles

My soul has been relatively trouble free & regular maintenance minimal.

Last week I noticed the fuel gauge stuck below E immediately after starting car,
it took a couple moments & it went up & acted normal. Did this again a couple times,
I notice the low indicator was Not on & those few times it took just a couple minutes for it to start working.

Last night same thing, BUT, after it started working it went back to E without turning car off.
So what I thought was a "sticky" gauge now seems more like an electrical short failure somewhere.

Anybody want to start guessing ? ? :think

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Either a wiring issue or possibly the in-tank sender unit................or the gauge itself. If you can find a connection in the wiring from the sender unit (close to the tank) and earth the earth wire that goes to the gauge, the gauge should go to full in theory. Then you know the downstream wiring and gauge itself are good. So then it's either the wiring going back to the sender or the unit itself.

That's how most cars work anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
You can access the fuel pump through a flap under the rear seat. "Earth" is British Sir...........ground beef is mince. Two nations divided by a common language and the Canadians somewhere in the middle going eh?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
You can access the fuel pump through a flap under the rear seat. "Earth" is British Sir...........ground beef is mince. Two nations divided by a common language and the Canadians somewhere in the middle going eh?
Actually, if you were to use the term "Earth" with most any technician above the repair level, an EET, EE, CE, or a Physicist, they would not be unfamiliar with the term. When I first began to study electronics in the sixties, it was quite common to find both terms used interchangeably.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gonna eliminate the "in-tank" sensor or mechanism due to the fact the Low light is not on when it fails
gonna assume if that was the problem the light would engage too.

Since it's so HOT here right now, I'm gonna wait for a few months when It gets Perfect outside here to start this task.
But if all looks good @ the tank connection & next step is wire harness under dash or near fuse box,
or even a display cluster problem, are gonna be difficult to find.
Plus, it's been working since my last post without fail

I will update my progress in September

1 - 6 of 6 Posts