Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fuel Economy Data (octane, brand results)

UPDATED: 11/15/2012

I am a bit of a data geek when it comes to fuel economy, so I track a few different things with my Fuelly account, including fuel brand, octane, and how the onboard computer's MPG estimate compares with the real computed MPG for each tankful. So, I thought I would share some results on these items. I threw out fuel-ups when the car was new (less than 500 miles) and it is right at 12,000 miles now. I've been alternating between 87 and 89 octane just to see if it makes any noticeable difference (there is none).

Actual MPG Average by Fuel Brand
BP = 33.4 MPG (12 fuel ups)
Kroger = 32.3 MPG (16 fuel ups)
Exxon = 32.3 MPG (4 fuel ups)
Shell = 32.3 MPG (4 fuel ups)

Actual MPG Average by Octane Rating
87 = 32.7 MPG (23 fuel ups)
89 = 32.8 MPG (16 fuel ups)

MPG Difference (Estimated vs Actual across 29 fuel ups)
Max Overestimated = 2.62 MPG (Est higher than actual)
Max Underestimated = 1.82 MPG (Est lower than actual)
Average = Overestimated by .19 MPG

Of course, all of this applies only to my Soul and my driving - YMMV. I'll update this again when I have more data. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cool info.

I am keeping detailed info on my new Soul as well.

How do you add some of the other details you have? Does Fully do this?

How do I add my Fuelly to my sig?

Peace

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the "Tags" data entry field when entering a fuel up on Fuelly. I put the brand, octane, and estimated MPG from the dash into the field separated by commas so I can pull it apart later in Excel. So, something like "BP,89,34.1".

You can edit your signature on here using the Settings option at the top. Just copy the Fuelly badge BBCode from the Fuelly site to your signature and you should be good. You can usually see the Fuelly badge promo near the Recent Fuel-ups Graph on the right side of the screen under "Share your MPG". Just click "VIEW ALL BADGES AND STUFF YOU CAN SHARE".

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
First post updated with data as of 10/26/12.
interesting info - like you say the key phrase is "all of this applies to my driving" - what a lot of people don't realize particular when they are complaining about poor mileage. They figure because someone else get good mileage they should too, even though they could be driving under totally different conditions and in most cases even two people driving the same vehicle under the same conditions will get varying mileage.

It looks like overall your AVERAGE on your dash computer is reasonable accurate, I find that is the case for me too. I've not done the mileage you have, I've only just passed the 9,600 km mark (6,000 miles).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Our 2011 Soul 1.6 tends to read 1 MPG high on the computer as opposed to the results through manual/fuelly calculation. I don't consider 1 MPG to be significant (that is only 12.7 miles of range, one way or the other, over the course of an entire tank), so as far as I am concerned, our computer is accurate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts