Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had an aftermarket speaker system installed in my 2017 soul + and am very happy with the results but have had a Minor electrical issue I'm hoping to fix myself. The 12v power socket on the driver's side is not working. The right side works so I suspect the installer must have unplugged something inadvertantly.
What's the easiest way to access the wiring behind the 12v socket to check everything out? I have already checked the fuse. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's the top left 20 amp fuse in the passenger cabin. The install guy has ghosted me after I asked him to come out and make it right, I have no recourse down that path.
Any of you guys have any photos or ideas to help me check this out? I need my phone charger.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2017 soul +. I'm using the second outlet for a GPS unit already. I need the first one for phone charging. The USB port doesn't have enough power to charge my phone fast enough.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
On my soul, I have 2 12v sockets, an auction, and a USB plug directly below the AC unit.
Ok, I be a might confused. I have the same model as you do. Under the radio there are two 12V outlets, one on the right (180W) and one on the left (120W). I use the one on the right as the USB port. I put a double USB outlet adapter for that port. I do not use the one on the left (12V) but could if there were a need to do it, otherwise the only time I use it is to top of my tires with a small, portable air compressor. There is a third port in the console storage space that I use for my phone charger when traveling. The built in USB under the radio is not supposed to be used for charging the phone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replying to "Shaggy Weirdo" correct. I also have the same setup. The 2 12v outlets in the front I normally use for a phone charger plugin, and a gps unit. I do not typically use the USB for anything. The 12v socket closest to the driver isn't working right now, however the one closest to the passenger seat is. My gps requires full time power so it occupies my one working socket. I suspect the non functional one just got unplugged or dislodged during the speaker install, as you have to pull the radio to do that.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I pulled the 10 amp acc fuse, one down from top left.
It disconnected the left power outlet.
Lot easier to replace blown fuse than access the back of that power outlet!

The marks in the attached photo indicate fuses not found in 2019 base model.
View attachment 118881

The two forward power outlets are fused separately.
The cargo area power outlet, as referred by Shaggy is Power Outlet 4 fuse in under the hood fuse panel.

Micro2 fuses are not easy to find, but there are spares fuses in the under the hood panel.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replying to "Sportsterdoc". You were right, I'm glad you were able to clarify the correct fuse location for me. I'm really glad I asked here. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replying to "SportsterDoc" I found the spares under the fuse cover. It would have been really handy to know about the fuse puller they include under there too yesterday, but at least I know now. Those fuses are a pain to pull out with my human sized hands. Such a well designed car. I've owned mine for 6 months and I still find Easter eggs from time to time. Thanks again for the assist!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If you do not have an owner's manual, they are available free, on-line.

Got mine here:
https://carmanuals2.com/kia/soul-2019-owner-s-manual-112421

The 17 megabyte PDF is searchable and easier for me to use than the paper manual.

Can also go to a previously noted PDF page, for example:
bulbs page 556
fuses pages 514-517, 119=521
fluids pages 558-560

reference to the fuse puller is PDF page 513 (8-67)

interior fuse panel layout PDF page 510 (8-64)

They are are available for other gen 2 model years.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Replying to "SportsterDoc" I found the spares under the fuse cover. It would have been really handy to know about the fuse puller they include under there too yesterday, but at least I know now. Those fuses are a pain to pull out with my human sized hands. Such a well designed car. I've owned mine for 6 months and I still find Easter eggs from time to time. Thanks again for the assist!
I found some on my 2012 two years after I owned it. Be careful, they jump out at you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts