Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had issues when starting out at a light when its raining that my car slides to the right no matter how lightly I press the gas pedal... Now tonight was the first snow and it was very light and my car also slide to the right when first starting out and I almost hit a car cause my brakes made some weird noises and the car woundn't come to a stop...

Anyone else having handling issues ???

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
As far as the car pulling to the right, that is where the torque and the side that pulls most of the time. Most roads will be high in the center and slope to the right and that is were your car will tend to go. Please be careful and try and practice in a parking lot (little to no cars) to see how the car handles.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Take it nice and easy, this car doesn't have the best of tires coming from the factory.

That strange noise coming from the brakes is the ABS and it's kicking on because you are either trying to press the brake pedal and the gas pedal at the same time, or your tires are spinning up so quickly that the ABS kicks on just to get them stopped.

If the latter is true, the more you mash on the gas pedal to get going, and the more tire spin involved, the less traction and the slower you will get off the line. If you tires start spinning, let off the gas pedal to gain traction..... and leave your stability control ON. That will keep your tires from spinning out.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
If its as bad as you say - i suggest you get the dealer to check it out. Maybe the ESC system is malfunctioning and causing the problems.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The stability control will alternately brake one wheel then the other, to try to force traction to the wheel with the most grip - that's the pulsing you're feeling. Sounds like you've got worn tires, hard tires, or are at a particularly slippery intersection (or simply an uphill one). Get those tires checked. If you're on the OE all-seasons, consider winter tires for winter. Eeeeeasy onto the gas at the start.

If it's really unusual, though, definitely get to the dealer and see if it's a mechanical issue. Have them dirve WITH you so you can show them what's going on, and so they can evaluate if it's a mechanical or driving-technique issue.

(NOTE: I am NOT pointing fingers at driving technique, but rather doing a good root-cause analysis. The only things that contribute to a loss of traction like that would be worn or bad tires or tires mismatched to conditions, too much power for conditions, or a mechanical issue like malfinctioning traction control or a really bad alignment).

·
Registered
728 Posts
Practice, practice, practice...
Too much gas (wheel spin) and the traction control comes on.
Too much brake (wheel slip) and the anti-lock brakes come on.
Smooth starts and threshold braking is the key!
Remember we should never have to rely on these electronic safety systems. They are really just there for emergency situations. If they happen to get activated all the time or quite regularly ones driving style & technique must be examined.

Tires, tires, tires...
The correct tires for the road conditions are vital.
Do not expect too much from your tires!
Remember all-season tires stop working well below 7C. Furthermore the Nexen OEM tires are not great to begin with. Extra caution and attention to power, torque, speed and vehicle weight transfer must be observed when driving with poor all-season tires in cool-wet and winter conditions.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I would guess that you have the NEXEN tires?
KIA has 2 types of tires on their Souls, the NEXENS and the HANKOOKS.
The Hankooks have a better rating than the Nexens. I think Kia started placing the Nexens on their Souls and eventually changed to Hankooks.
I have the Hankooks and have no such problems. Well my Summer tires are the Hankooks, but right now, i have my winter tires on (General Altimax) and no slip sliding away with either one...

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
have a manual and have definitely have noticed that pull which imo is more pronounced in this car than any other manual owed, and most especially on on damp/wet roads....posted in another thread that the steering pull gives me the feeling that car is trying to hydroplane for a second or two, which has me taking things real slow when it comes to any kind of moisture, and especially when making turns...abs also seems to be much more sensitive in this vehicle too - can hear/feel it when going over very minor bumps and/or when coming to a stop at the bottom of a hill at times...and just so you know, i have to turn my traction control off in some situations - like if i am stopped on a slight hill waiting in traffic and the roads are damp to keep from slip/sliding up...

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
have a manual and have definitely have noticed that pull which imo is more pronounced in this car than any other manual owed, and most especially on on damp/wet roads....posted in another thread that the steering pull gives me the feeling that car is trying to hydroplane for a second or two, which has me taking things real slow when it comes to any kind of moisture, and especially when making turns...abs also seems to be much more sensitive in this vehicle too - can hear/feel it when going over very minor bumps and/or when coming to a stop at the bottom of a hill at times...and just so you know, i have to turn my traction control off in some situations - like if i am stopped on a slight hill waiting in traffic and the roads are damp to keep from slip/sliding up...
Klas - If you are telling me that you cannot pull away up a slight incline in the wet without spinning your wheels - either there is something seriously wrong with your driving style or seriously wrong with your car. Virtually everytime someone comes with a bad post on their car - you seem to match it with your negative experiences of your car. If your feelings towards your Soul are really that bad, and not just a way of supporting your ongoing lawsuit - might i suggest you sell it now. You will be a much happier person, your stress levels will drop and you will live a lot longer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have had issues when starting out at a light when its raining that my car slides to the right no matter how lightly I press the gas pedal... Now tonight was the first snow and it was very light and my car also slide to the right when first starting out and I almost hit a car cause my brakes made some weird noises and the car woundn't come to a stop...

Anyone else having handling issues ???
I drove in the same conditions. Same things happened. The noises you heard were the traction control kicking in and the ABS kicking in. No worries for me considering the number of cars parked on the side of the road going up the hills while I just eased my way up.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Klas - If you are telling me that you cannot pull away up a slight incline in the wet without spinning your wheels - either there is something seriously wrong with your driving style or seriously wrong with your car. Virtually everytime someone comes with a bad post on their car - you seem to match it with your negative experiences of your car. If your feelings towards your Soul are really that bad, and not just a way of supporting your ongoing lawsuit - might i suggest you sell it now. You will be a much happier person, your stress levels will drop and you will live a lot longer.
not so sure every negative post is met with a response from me but those posts that address some of the same issues up with my car are - and imo not much different than others that meet virtually every positive post with a similar response... and not to worry - have no feelings and not inclined to become stressed over a piece of metal b/c know i can pass these problems on to someone else at any time, which would probably make kia real happy and trust me, resisting the urge to pass em on has been a real challenge for me ;)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I agree. If I hated a car that much it would be gone even If I had to take a substantial loss. I'm not really qualified to comment on how good/bad the soul is as my 8 month old sd has under 3K miles on it and is presently hibernating in my heated garage for the winter but in the future, if it develops many of the problems others have had on this forum it will be traded.

·
Registered
147 Posts
UK 1.6 manual - and I am forever wheel spinning away from standing starts as the aluminium engine is so light, no great chunk of steel 2 litre engine weighing the front end down. Plus - the clutch is for me, tricky, and if I don't give it a little gas, it can easily stall out when pulling away from a standing start. The tyres (Nexen) are not very good. BUT - I enjoy the occasionally squealy wheel spin. What I don't enjoy is the awful feedback and sounds through the brake pedal when the ABS kicks in - everytime it happens I think the wheels are falling off. However, it does stop, except in current icy conditions as I sailed merrily across a roundabout this week in snow & ice, so car is now parked up waiting for the roads to improve. Had to spend a day in a courtesy Toyota this week, and was ever so glad to get back into my Soul, squeals and crunchy ABS noises included.:)

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
BUT - I enjoy the occasionally squealy wheel spin. What I don't enjoy is the awful feedback and sounds through the brake pedal when the ABS kicks in - everytime it happens I think the wheels are falling off. However, it does stop, except in current icy conditions as I sailed merrily across a roundabout this week in snow & ice, so car is now parked up waiting for the roads to improve. Had to spend a day in a courtesy Toyota this week, and was ever so glad to get back into my Soul, squeals and crunchy ABS noises included.:)
laughing - can relate to most of your post and most especially the abs part - scares the hell out of me whenever it sounds off.... soon after purchase, was coming to a stop over some uneven dry road (minor bumps) first time they kicked on.... thought something was seriously wrong with brakes and initial reaction was to remove foot from pedal but looked up just in time to stop within inches of car in front of me.... think abs in this car is definitely much more sensitive - believe i only heard em once in last 19+ year old car and for good reason - hit some black ice and forgot to steer my way out (not brake) for like a second.... can say, i am hoping we don't have anything like what we got hit with last winter b/c this car was parked for 2-3 days and i was using my neighbor's tank....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would guess that you have the NEXEN tires?
KIA has 2 types of tires on their Souls, the NEXENS and the HANKOOKS.
The Hankooks have a better rating than the Nexens. I think Kia started placing the Nexens on their Souls and eventually changed to Hankooks.
I have the Hankooks and have no such problems. Well my Summer tires are the Hankooks, but right now, i have my winter tires on (General Altimax) and no slip sliding away with either one...
I have the Hankooks 18" Optimo H246... I am in PA but I thought switching tires for seasons stopped years ago... Never had to change tires on any of my other cars...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am 45 and been driving for 27 years...

My last vehicle was a GMC Vandura 2500 Conversion Van, before that I owned Mainly Mustangs (68,76,78,94), had an 84 Pulsar, 62 Corvair (that was an interesting drive), 75 Monte Carlo and I am pretty sure I am missing one or two more...

For each car I try to goto a parking lot when it snows to test the handling to see which way it mainly slides, etc... But I have had the Soul only since August and only 8,000 miles it... I was really surprised of its handling and the weather hasnt been that bad yet...

The car even spins on frosty nights as I left work last night at midnight and when I first pulled out of the parking spot once again the car's front wheels spun and pulled to the right...

It was recently in for a check up and they told me everything was fine but after I try some other suggestions I might have to take it back in...

One other problem I have is when turning, I try to give it gas during the turn and it wont give it gas... Maybe this is just me but all my other cars did what I was trying to do, years of slot car racing, slowing into the turn, then gunning it in the turn (bad habit) all my other cars did it without a problem, but the Soul doesnt want to give it gas until I fully straighten out... Last night I turned off the button on the left side (name blocking my mind right now) and when I tried a turn, I was able to give gas during the turn...

So maybe I need to go back to the old style of cars that dont have so much technology it them :) or rear wheel drive cars...

I also took it out of overdrive and it seems not to spin out as much in bad weather..

·
Registered
509 Posts
KiaSoulGhost, it sounds like this is your first front-wheel-drive car. They do drive differently than RWD. In addition, the Soul has ABS, traction control, and electronic stability control. The car will fight you pretty hard if you want to spin the wheels or induce oversteer. The tires, though, appear to be another matter -- the Nexen OEM tires in particular seem to be pretty hard and don't offer much traction in frosty conditions.

Nowadays new RWD cars come with ABS, traction control, and electronic stability control, too, so I'm not sure moving away from a FWD vehicle will change things. I sure would drive one before I bought one!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
^^ it's not my first and imo what he said seems to be right on... sheesh even my 65 classic beetle was better on the (wet/snowy) roads around here than this thing is lol....and the prelude had much more power than this thing and never had any problems getting up the hills around here... and the rabbit was like a tank that i don't believe was ever left parked after a snow storm etc....

want to add that this car is great on dry roads and really does remind me much of my rabbit in this respect but the rabbit would blow this thing away in other weather conditions...

·
Registered
262 Posts
my 2011 soul exclaim is very grippy in the dry. love the handling.

tonight was the first serious dusting of snow for the winter, and it was a teensy bit slipperier than i would have expected. not a problem for a veteran blizzard driver, just something to get used to coming from awd.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sheesh, if we assume everyone who says they can drive can actually do so, this entire thread is TIRES. Losing grip? TIRES. Stability control kicking in? TIRES. "Get a grip!" A Soul on even half-worn blizzaks is a tank in snow, no issues. A Mini's the same way, as is a Rabbit, a GTI, a Honda... all about unstoppable except climbing steep hills in conditions that we arguably shouldn't be out in - and even that's simple weight transfer (climb 'em backwards!).

"I've never needed snow tires and I've done OK". Great, glad to hear about good winter driving skills, it means we'll all be safer - but let that same skill try real, good snow tires in snow, back to back with all-seasons and then let's hear it. Drive grippy, quality tires in the wet after ditching the Nexens and let's hear it. Change direction in a light well-handling car on grippy tires after having momentum carry you places you don't want to go in a heavy tank, and let's hear it.

I mean no disrespect in this post, only to point out the obvious:
- Grip makes all the difference, quality tires suited for conditions have grip, lesser quality tires don't
- Just as you wouldn't wear tuxedo shoes to shovel snow, fit your tires to your conditions.

Separately: Kia supplied hard rubber compound tires on some Soul models, tradeoff on cost vs. performance vs. 18" looks. Consider: A set of tires costs less than your insurance deductible. Sell the old set on Craigslist - some tire shops take trade-ins.

Drive on...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts