Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2014 Soul base model for my daughter after two days of her having it my son backed his truck into it. The trailer hitch ball hit the front bumper right at the license plate with the weather so cold it cracked the black plastic lower grill. My question is, can the black plastic lower grill be replaced without having to replace the whole front bumper. I didn't know if it was two separate pieces? I'm currently deployed and not there to see it. I've researched on the internet but I can't seem to find the answer. There are plenty of videos on how to remove and replace the bumper which looks easy enough I just want to have the parts ready for when I return home. I would appreciate any help. Thanks see attached pic Soul Bumper.jpg

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think the front bumpers are made up of 4 major parts. A bumper cover (body colored part), a grill bezel (black part with the fog light ports), the honeycomb grill, and a lower lip.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,160 Posts
the parts department at a dealership will be able to give you the answer. Depending on the damage, many places can do plastic repair, sometimes its much cheaper than doing a replacement.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I purchased a 2014 Soul base model for my daughter after two days of her having it my son backed his truck into it. The trailer hitch ball hit the front bumper right at the license plate with the weather so cold it cracked the black plastic lower grill. My question is, can the black plastic lower grill be replaced without having to replace the whole front bumper. I didn't know if it was two separate pieces? I'm currently deployed and not there to see it. I've researched on the internet but I can't seem to find the answer. There are plenty of videos on how to remove and replace the bumper which looks easy enough I just want to have the parts ready for when I return home. I would appreciate any help. Thanks see attached pic View attachment 111218
I'm in Canada. We do what we do because of you. A deep thank you to you.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thank you for your service JJDick. #1. Have your son pay for the damage and chase the
parts. #2. Why does he have the trailer hitch ball on his car if he isn’t towing a trailer at the time?
#3. Since you are deployed and he probably is the man of the house have him install it himself. #4.
If he doesn’t want the do that then he can pay the dealer or the body shop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your service JJDick. #1. Have your son pay for the damage and chase the
parts. #2. Why does he have the trailer hitch ball on his car if he isn’t towing a trailer at the time?
#3. Since you are deployed and he probably is the man of the house have him install it himself. #4.
Thank You for your concern he feels terrible about it and yes he is going to pay for it, and he would fix it now but it's -5 at home right now, so I told him just to wait till I got home and we would fix it together. Why I'm explaining this I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Good points but one thing I would note: a trailer hitch can actually save your bacon. I have two examples of it saving bacon:

1. My custom van - about 20 years ago my pressure differential valve split and dumped all brake fluid instantly as I was shifting into reverse. My driveway is on a steep hill and the wheels were slightly turned. Van jumped into reverse, whipped backwards down my hill off the side of the driveway and should have rolled. It didn't, and when I looked at it later (after I changed my pants and comforted my neighbor, whose house I almost demolished) I could see why - the trailer hitch ball pin stuck into the ground like a javelin and gave the van something to pivot on. Crazy but true. It left a huge dent in my neighbor's yard and packed mud everywhere on the hitch.

2. Two days ago going up to check on something at my job. Mountain road was completely froze over, and on a long straightaway there was a car hanging perilously off the edge of the cliff past the guardrail, facing backwards where it obviously had spun out. Went over and looked at it and it looked like it was just barely hung on a tree. When I got closer, the only thing holding the car up was the trailer hitch ball - he had one of the 3-ball assortment ones - hung into the side of the tree. Amazingly, there was no damage to the car, as the hitch jammed into the tree and there was about 2 inches of clearance between the back door of the SUV and the tree.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I'd probably just glue that back for now. Otherwise, it's a separate piece, you can buy them pretty cheap, but seems like lots of work for something that could get scratched up or cracked again soon.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Did he crack the honeycomb grill or the black outer part of the lower grill?

If you'd like me to do a video/photo tutorial on how to take the bumper off, please let me know.
It's super simple (will need a warm place to do so and somewhere to lay a blanket down).

To remove the bumper there are:

2 screws in the fender well.
4 plastic push clips on the bottom of the vehicle in front of each wheel each wheel.
Loosen headlights - not necessary, but I found it makes it easier.
Remove plastic clips along the front edge of the top of the bumper (under the hood). - I can take pictures of everything if need be.

Let me know if I can be of help.

(former KIA tech)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did he crack the honeycomb grill or the black outer part of the lower grill?

If you'd like me to do a video/photo tutorial on how to take the bumper off, please let me know.
It's super simple (will need a warm place to do so and somewhere to lay a blanket down).

To remove the bumper there are:

2 screws in the fender well.
4 plastic push clips on the bottom of the vehicle in front of each wheel each wheel.
Loosen headlights - not necessary, but I found it makes it easier.
Remove plastic clips along the front edge of the top of the bumper (under the hood). - I can take pictures of everything if need be.

Let me know if I can be of help.

(former KIA tech)
No that won't be necessary I found a video on You Tube that goes in depth on how to remove and replace it. From the pictures and talking to my son it cracked and broke from where he hit it straight down. Nothing on the painted or upper part is damaged. That's why I was hoping that the bottom grill was a separate piece. From the picture you sent that very bottom plastic piece is broke along with the lattes lower grill having a small hole. We want it fixed right understandably the car is new to her and in immaculate condition. I don't think that bottom piece would have broke if it wasn't so cold out. Everything is holding together so we can wait till the weather warms to fix it. Thank You for your reply and willingness to help I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd probably just glue that back for now. Otherwise, it's a separate piece, you can buy them pretty cheap, but seems like lots of work for something that could get scratched up or cracked again soon.

Thank You for the info, that is the piece that is broke along with the the lattes lower grill. I glad to see it is a separate piece.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts