Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello all,

just found out that my left front cv axle inner joint is leaking (fun, wow)....now i need a replacement axle and the dealership is crazy priced at list $648 for one axle! I have exhausted my resources even online and cant get an oem for under $300. Has anyone used a quality aftermarket brand from even their local autoparts store that they could point me in the right direction? Mine is a 2.0L Automatic Soul 2011 +. the original part number is 495012K200. Mine also has one balancer weight on it. I am just wondering if aftermarket axles are of original performance quality as they are must more cost effective, but my concern is, because this part controls my steering, it has to be quality aftermarket, if there is such a thing? My mechanic will allow me to even bring the part in myself and he will install, however, has anybody gotten any from "AZ" or "Advanced" they would suggest?

I have appt at mechanic this coming Monday and need to get this resolved quickly!

ALSO.....does anyone know what the left side and right side axle dimensions are to factory original specs? My oem part numbers are (L) 495012K200 and (R) 495002K200.... I cannot seem to find it anywhere. Looking for compressed overall length dimensions

thank you

colleen

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have used in the past parts from non-OE manufacturers, they are almost all made in China, but I choose the ones sold by companies located here... better quality control, returns. Rockauto.com, Amazon.com.
Cardone (remanufactured), Detroit Axle (new)...

BECK/ARNLEY usually manufacturers many OE parts for Hyunday/Kia, maybe you can find that?

Looking on Rockauto for the 2011, I see SURTRACK/TRAKMOTIVE... never used them, but if you can do the work for yourself (or if you not pay crazy labor rates), I would not see why not try that.

You can also try to replace just the boot if it started to leak very recently. But if dirt/dust got inside already, it will remain inside and grind away the part.The rear boot is very easy to replace, once the CV shaft is out of transmission.

PS1: I think that you are referring to is the ABS Tone Ring... not a weight balancer.
PS2: The half-shaft does not affect the steering safety.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Does Napa have new or just re-manufactured? On-line, I saw only passenger side, re-manufactured, for ~$70.

AutoZone, which is not my first choice for water pumps, alternators, starters, etc is $110.99 in my locale for 14455N

O'Reillys is $95.99 in my locale for KA8060. I have more respect for O/R than AZ.

They come with the ABS tone ring.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
...Avoid Autozone.
I go to AZ when my local O'Reiliy's is out of an LED lamp or something that is a major brand.
Sometimes the AZ price on motorcycle oil was better...but O'R will price match and the counter person I normally deal with at O'R will also do a military/veterans discount.

The beginning of the end for me with AZ was replacing an alternator on a 1992 Nissan Sentra GXE. Bought it new, gave it to youngest daughter before she married (1997) and alternator died at a reasonable age. AZ was close and cheap, but only lasted a few months...THREE times! Alternator was up high and appeared reasonably accessible, but it was a knuckle buster. Son-in-law changed it the next two times and got so annoyed that they traded it. Maybe the high price for a Nissan alternator would have been worth it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for the insite. I actually found a company that sells parts to oem standards online https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/2011/Kia/Soul/Drive_Axle_Front/90-04471_N . As you can see, the actual is about a $100. they ship overnight for $30 which I think is a steal. I also saw ones from partsgeek. anyone ever order axles from there? I dont think I can replace just the joint as when you "jiggle" the joint, you can hear like a hollow clunky noise so, that's not good. I would rather just replace the whole left axle assembly as one unit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
agreed. I owned a custom pt cruiser last year and though loved the car, i could not keep putting money into it (they made them totally wrong) but sold it for top dollar because it was incredibly maintained like new! Anyway, I got 3 sets of axles from AZ for it and all 3 times, I ended up having to take them back because the length was off big time and they would not fit. I ended up at that time going local to Napa, which fit perfect.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have stopped using AZ too... quality control issues. If is something big that I might have to take back, I go to Advance Auto, using their website to order and local pick up, and adding coupon codes found on Retailmenot for their store.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I used tons of AutoZone axles when I had my built Civic- loved the easy swap-out and the fact that they were always in stock. I preferred to leave the OE axles as my drivetrain's weak spot since I could get new ones under warranty exchange, especially once I got the axle swap down to about 30-40 minutes. Honestly never had an issue with AutoZone axle quality.

·
Registered
26 Posts
alternator died at a reasonable age. AZ was close and cheap, but only lasted a few months...THREE times!
At that point or possibly sooner I'd suspect other issues with car. I went through some of that with an AZ distributor. I don't blame AZ distributor!
Remember these neat little mechanical devices "cars" are disposable. I don't feed mine an expensive diet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
CV joints can be repacked. I used Kendall Blue grease when I did them on VW CV joints. Inspect the ball bearings and seats closely. If pitted or scored or cracked, spring for a new or rebuilt CV joint. Otherwise plan on doing CV joint repacks on a fairly regular basis.

Install a new boot be sure it is not twisted and do NOT overtighten the clamps!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AXLE UPDATE...not axle vibration but TIRES: are you all ready for this? My axles are perfect, so is all my suspension for that matter! The dealership was way off the mark on this and how they decide I need an axle is beyond me. thank god I did not listen! I actually crawled under my own vehicle (yes, girls do this too) and I checked my axles. There is no issue. However, the vibration is from the very cheap tires I have on there that dont seem to ever balance right. They are a "generic" cooper brand but, I found out I am not the only one with this issue for these specific tires. They are under the 30 day ride guarantee and now I have to decide which tire I want....I am being told, get michelin, get goodyear, get etc.....but my biggest and only concerns when purchasing tires are "Quiet and Comfort".....I have a 1st Gen Soul and they were not made with extra "sound barriers" or insulation like the later 2011 has. I have the earlier version. So Quiet, Smooth ride is MOST IMPORTANT to me. I simply just dont know if goodyear comfortred or michelin primacy fit the bill or something else? I need someone here who understands the need I have for the particular model soul I have (2011) thanks for all your imput.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Wow, yeah tires are the last thing I ever suspect, but I spend a lot of money on tires...

If you're looking for quiet, anything in the Grand Touring class from the Primary tire manufacturers will probably make you happy. If you don't want to shell out the cash for Goodyear or Michelin (I never do), I'd consider looking at Kumho, Hankook, or General to name a few if you want a great tire without breaking the bank. Continental is another good manufacturer (ContiTouring or ContiProContact are the models you'd want).

·
Registered
855 Posts
Michelin is for me. I learn, a while back, that being cheap on tires is not smart...
I usually get them from Sam's Club, they run "specials" now and then. Right now (till June 30) they have $70 off when buying a set of 4 Michelin tires.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts