Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Measuring the rear weels on a flat surface (garage) it looks like one side sits maybe a quarter inch higher than the other. Is it normal for there to be slight discrepancies with the suspension/shocks/whatever?

My nitpicking has reared its ugly head again.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Check each tire with a digital Tire Gage, and then measure to the top of each fender wheel opening side to side, and get back to us with what you find...OK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check each tire with a digital Tire Gage, and then measure to the top of each fender wheel opening side to side, and get back to us with what you find...OK
Yep, this.

We have a tool at work that clips to the rim, and allows us to measure ride height at each wheel, it works well and takes any possible floor variances out of the equation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well I don't have a digital gage. I did check tire pressure with the little air compressor and it was the same as far as I could tell. The difference in height seemed to be from the center of the rim to the frame, not from the center of the rim to the floor. I could buy a gage I guess...

So I guess some variance would matter?

I suppose it's worth noting that one tire has about 5,000 more miles than the other.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hi Jedinat the shock absorbers will settle the car different every time.

jeff

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
the garage floor could be out a 1/4" - it would be difficult to find any garage floor that is absolutely perfectly flat and level.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
If you are going around measuring ride height for a quarter inch difference you have too much time on your hands.:rolleyes-new:

Pat.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
If you are going around measuring ride height for a quarter inch difference you have too much time on your hands.:rolleyes-new:

Pat.
good point, why would you even think of doing that in the first place - I've thought about checking out a lot of things of my new vehicle but doing that wasn't even on the radar :sneakiness:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Way to many variables to account for 1/4". tire wear differences, shocks settling, air in all tires not just the rear two, dead body in the trunk, etc etc...
Ha. I see what you did there. :laughonfloor Lets just hope that a body isn't Jedinat's issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good point, why would you even think of doing that in the first place - I've thought about checking out a lot of things of my new vehicle but doing that wasn't even on the radar :sneakiness:
Because I noticed one side was really high off the wheel while it was parked in the (rather skewed) driveway, and this drove into my mind and irresistible impulse to measure the difference when parked on a flat surface.

The mocking comments in this thread make me feel a bit better about this and I think I will ignore it until I get my tires rotated in a thousand miles. Then maybe I'll let my OCD unleash and see if it measures the same.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Sounds like you need a hobby.....

Reactions: SOUTH SOUL

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I've noticed while leaving my neighborhood, there's some creaking/squeaking coming from the back of the car. This only happens if the rear left wheel is elevated above the other wheels (I think). Otherwise there's really no issue. But it's the same wheel that the frame sits a bit lower over.

I stopped on the turn where I'd hear it and got out and pulled up and down on the frame above the wheel... you can hear it here: https://vid.me/F5du

Crappy phone recording, I amplified the audio so you can hear it in the video... Anyways. This is the kind of thing that the dealer would find impossible to comprehend, I believe, to affect any repair. And there's other creaks and groans from the plastic/seats in the car...

·
Registered
811 Posts
So I've noticed while leaving my neighborhood, there's some creaking/squeaking coming from the back of the car. This only happens if the rear left wheel is elevated above the other wheels (I think). Otherwise there's really no issue. But it's the same wheel that the frame sits a bit lower over.

I stopped on the turn where I'd hear it and got out and pulled up and down on the frame above the wheel... you can hear it here: https://vid.me/F5du

Crappy phone recording, I amplified the audio so you can hear it in the video... Anyways. This is the kind of thing that the dealer would find impossible to comprehend, I believe, to affect any repair. And there's other creaks and groans from the plastic/seats in the car...
Ya gotta realize that you are not driving a Bentley and your economical, affordable means of transportation is gonna make some noise. Embrace it. It's a Kia.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts