Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been four years since I replaced my cabin filter. Took it out and honestly wasn't shocked at how dirty it was.

Here's a closeup of the build up of dirt in the grooves.

It's only eight screws. Pull out the glove box. Flip a lever and it comes out. Very easy to do yourself. The hardest part is getting the glove box in just right so all the screw holes line up. Took me two tries.

Cheap maintenance. Don't put it off like I did lol.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wanted to get as much maintenance stuff done as I can now. In three weeks the family is taking a car trip from Columbus Ohio to Myrtle Beach. Kids are gonna love it. Not looking forward to driving through mountains but it will be fun.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,476 Posts
Whoa Body, I can understand why you were shocked. The cool part is all that crap was kept out of the HVAC vents & your cabin.

Back in olden days (the 90s) before cabin air filters, I can remember an occasional leaf & lots of road dust coming in. One time a bird dive bombed in front of my Subaru going down the freeway. About 2 minutes later some feathers floated out into the cabin.

Gross.

Reactions: grege

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah my wifes 2005 ford focus doesn't even have a cabin filter. Even the engine air filter is non-replaceable. I haven't touched the air filter in it yet and it's still good according to the color gauge.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
It's been four years since I replaced my cabin filter. Took it out and honestly wasn't shocked at how dirty it was.

It's only eight screws. Pull out the glove box. Flip a lever and it comes out. Very easy to do yourself. The hardest part is getting the glove box in just right so all the screw holes line up. Took me two tries.

...and on the G2 you no longer have to remove the glove box, just pop a door on the upper part of the glove box compartment.

·
Registered
531 Posts

Did you notice any reduction in the performance in the HVAC system?

·
Registered
992 Posts
While it's not as quick as changing out the 2nd gen soul's cabin filter, it's easy enough. To simplify mine, I simply change all my vehicles' air and cabin filters as routine every April (and oil and filter every April and October). Easier to stick to and maintain those schedules than worry about mileage details.

Greg

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Oil change only twice a year?

As for the Cabin Air Cleaner on the Gen 1.....

It's not necessary to replace all the screws, especially those three across the bottom.

If you don't like changing your Cabin air filter, then at least buy the best filter you can get.
After much research, I started buying the FRAM Fresh Breeze Cabin air cleaner.

It not only filters out the tree leaves and bird feathers, but the micro dust, pollen and stink as well.
I have lots of nasal allergies and I'm glad I don't have to breath all that crap that's floating around out there.

After I saw all the crap that my cabin air filter trapped after a year, I started changing mine every six months. On the third anniversary of my buying my Soul, my dealer offered me a new set of windshield wiper blades and a new cabin air filter. What!!! Three years??? I took their free wiper blades, and I took their free filter but had them install a FRAM Fresh Breeze filter I already had on hand. Their cheap paper filter is now sitting on a shelf in my shop.

Cheers Mates and happy motoring,
:cool:

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Dude, you have been busy. Rotors and cabin filters. Don't worry about driving through the mountains, I live here and it's no big deal. Downshift a gear climbing the hills. I run (manual) 5th uphill, so long as you hit it at 60 or higher. If you hit it lower, you're going to have to do hit 4th before you get enough oomph to get to 5th. This is speaking as a manual, since I don't drive an automatic on this.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,476 Posts
Man FL, that's impressive. You treat your "gal" right.

I switched to the charcoal cabin filter last year. It helps alot with stinky diesel fumes (Ford F150 diesels you know who you are) radiating from the usual offenders.

I don't have to hit the recirc button nearly as much.

2b33bdf4546dcdf499922d83d7f607c6.jpeg

Reactions: jdmartin

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I minimize the amount of stinky diesel fumes that I'm subject to, by simply not driving behind them.
If I find myself behind a smoky diesel truck, I try to pass them as soon as possible. And, I use the Recycle Air setting most of the time.

One thing I liked about Florida, and one of the main reasons I moved here from the Mid-West, is the clean air.
We don't have the industrial haze that is so prevalent in the upper US.

However, like everywhere else in the US, we do have vehicle exhaust and plant/tree pollen. And of course, there's the ultra fine sand that's everywhere. So, just like on a furnace or home AC unit, an air filter on your car is important, and changing it on a regular basis is just as important.

I've gone to a six month change cycle on my Cabin air filter, and if I find my filter getting garbaged up in six months, I'll go down to maybe four months. I may even start pulling out the Cabin Air Filter and examining it and even cleaning it at my 3k maintenance cycle.

A person can easily hurt their car, by poor maintenance, but I've never heard of anyone harming a car by Over-Maintaining it.

I've been building and servicing PC's (home/personal computers) for nearly forty years, and most of the total failures I've seen were due to lack of maintenance. Heat sinks get clogged with dirt, the heat level increases, and finally electronic parts like CPU's and GPU's just burn up and quit working.

So, maintaining my car is like maintaining my computer, it's something I enjoy doing. For instance, I had a real ball, installing new brake pads on my car this past Sunday. The sense of accomplishment had me smiling for the rest of the day. :)

It's another beautiful, sunny day here in FL. I may just go out and replace my Cabin Air Cleaner!
(I always keep extra filters on hand)

Happy Trails, Mates!
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Man FL, that's impressive. You treat your "gal" right.

I switched to the charcoal cabin filter last year. It helps alot with stinky diesel fumes (Ford F150 diesels you know who you are) radiating from the usual offenders.

I don't have to hit the recirc button nearly as much.
That's a good idea, I think I'm going to try that with both of my vehicles. Never considered that before. I usually try to do the Techno routine and just haul ass around the stinky bastards, but it's not always possible.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
That's a good idea, I think I'm going to try that with both of my vehicles. Never considered that before. I usually try to do the Techno routine and just haul ass around the stinky bastards, but it's not always possible.
Maybe not always possible, but one heck of a lot of fun when you can. Eh?
Life can be pretty dull sometimes, so we have to take our fun when and where we can.

Recently, my little gal blew off a big RAM dual turbo diesel pickup, because I didn't want to follow 'old smoky' for the next five miles down the road. I know that guy, and he's really proud of how powerful his truck is....well, it may be powerful, but not as fast as my little Ivanka. :)

Cheers Mate!
FL Hamster :cool:

PS: Oh yes, I did go out and replace my Cabin Air Filter. The old one was really loaded with tree parts, pollen, sand, and bugs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts