Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got in my car and hear a strange noise pulling out, get out and see the rear passenger tire is really low, change it and see a good size sheet metal screw stuck in it.

I was just wondering about getting it repaired. Its in the treads not the shoulder or firewall so its a candidate for repair. Im just not sure how safe or reliable the tire would be afterwards. Is there a bigger risk for blowout etc... I drive on highways a lot to work. Anyone have a tire repaired and have any feedback on it? Basically is it a safe and reliable way to go.

Its on my summer wheels which I just bought last year so they probly only have 5k miles on them.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Absolutely can be done. Usually patch or plug from the inside out. All depends on the damage and condition of the puncture. I have successfully repaired auto tires w/ no issue. Motorcycle tires...thats a whole other ball of wax for me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for responses.

I planned on taking it to a shop to do it as i read they do the internal sealing.

I was just worried about the safety/reliability as in past i would just have them change tire when i got a flat but splurged on some aftermarket wheels and tires are pricey.

Ill bring it to a shop next week get it patched. I always carry a full sized spare so im good to drive til i get there

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
For drywall screw-sized holes, I usually fix them myself with the standard outside-in plugs unless the weather's bad and I don't feel like doing it myself. I've yet to have a problem with those repairs. The most important part is cleaning the hole. If you do that right, the repair should outlast the tire, in my experience.

For anything bigger than a drywall screw, I'd bring it to a tire shop.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I repaired a hole from a stud the size of my finger. Needed a double plug to not leak slowly but it worked! Was good for over 5k miles when I got new tires installed due those having traction problems in the rain, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts