Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with the US base models we do not have DRL's (which I love). Hated my DRL's on my WRX, passat, and Jetta (think its a useless feature).

Anyone of you guys might know how to bypass the foglights to turn on independently without turining the headlights on. I've seen new SUV's like the MDX that have their fogs on only.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would have to look at the schematic.

Simply... there must be a control relay with the contacts for the fog-lights in the "normally open" state that gets activate when the head-lights get turned on and thus causing the fog light contacts to get "closed".

This control relay or the associated circuit would likely be the same one that turns off the fog-lights when the high-beams are turned on. (The relay logic states: Only allow the fog-lights to be ON when normal-head-lights are on and the fog-light switch is on. This is a Logic "AND" statement.)

It would not be hard to bypass the relay or the circuit and have the fog-lights act as an indipendet circuit with the switch on the dash doing all the control (on/off). However it may prevent the fog-lights from being turned off automatically when the key is removed.

If I could get a hold of the schematic...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked out KGIS.. not really sure what to look for.

I would have to look at the schematic.

Simply... there must be a control relay with the contacts for the fog-lights in the "normally open" state that gets activate when the head-lights get turned on and thus causing the fog light contacts to get "closed".

This control relay or the associated circuit would likely be the same one that turns off the fog-lights when the high-beams are turned on. (The relay logic states: Only allow the fog-lights to be ON when normal-head-lights are on and the fog-light switch is on. This is a Logic "AND" statement.)

It would not be hard to bypass the relay or the circuit and have the fog-lights act as an indipendet circuit with the switch on the dash doing all the control (on/off). However it may prevent the fog-lights from being turned off automatically when the key is removed.

If I could get a hold of the schematic...

I went on Kiatechinfo.com.. Is this what you are looking for?

1. Disconnect the negative(-) battery terminal.
2. Pull out the front fog lamp relay(A) from the engine compartment relay box.
3. Check for continuity between terminals. There should be continuity between the No.87 and No.30 terminals when power and ground are connected to the No.85 and No.86 terminals.
4. There should be no continuity between the No.87 and No.30 terminals when power is disconnected.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks, I also found that information.

I've been hunting through Kiatechinfo.com.
There is no wireing diagram posted yet for Soul. That is truely what I need. There is dirty way it can be done but I wouldn't do that to my new car.

This topic of changing how the fog-lights operate still interests me :)
Unfortunately I'm not quite ready to pull out my DMM and start trouble shooting to find where control siganals are coming from.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone had a chance to look into this further? I'd be interested in doing this bypass. I did it on an old 300zx a while back, it was an easy mod that I found useful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Foglights working w/service lights

Hi there guys, i finally solved the problem of the foglights. Here is how you make them work with the service lights... I try to make it simple for you guys... The connectors for this are located behind the fuse panel...

Hope this picture opens if not, need to know how to upload a picture onto this...

Hey guys, How can i get this picture uploaded without prompting me about a web site.. this is anoying! In the picture I have all the steps but I cant upload it or don't know how to do it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
your picture did not upload. I hope you will try again, and/or verbally describe what you did. I would like to do this mod also. Did you remove the fuse panel or reach in from under the dash?

·
Registered
10 Posts
So there is no better why to do this mod without hacking the wire harness? That pic was hard to follow. I looked at the print out for kiatech.com and for some reason they are wrong-our underhood fuse/relay box looks nothing like that one and there is no fog light relay under the hood. I so wish there was an easy jumper mod like I did on my old 2001 Zx3

·
Registered
181 Posts
I know this is a super old thread but does anyone have pictures on this? I really need to fix my Fog Lamps.. It would be great if I could get these to come on with the parking lamps. Assuming thats also referred to as the "service Lamps" ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts