Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did not want to post this on a thread where 19s have been installed. I try not to be negative in someone else's thread!

I just want to get some correct info out there!

There is a thread with 19s on a vehicle with the tire size 245/35R19 - while not incorrect... it's not great at all... (Sorry Mr. Soulange)
It is 0.5inches shorter in diameter than the stock size... and there are better options for 19inch tires.

235/45R18 (stock size on my 2016 SX Soul) - overall diameter is 26.3" /// 245/35R19 overall diameter is 25.8" (0.5" shorter!)
When the speedometer reads 60mph / it will actually be 58.7mph (slower). (might not seem like much but it could mess with the odometer quite a bit)
This is just barely hanging onto min/max tires change spec. (you shouldn't go past 0.4" change in overall diameter)
A better option for people is 235/40R19 - overall diameter is 26.4" (0.1" difference in overall diameter)(0.2mph difference on the speedometer - literally no change) (yes you can do a 9" wide rim with 235/40R19 -- because the tire with is 9.25")

** Wait! All this tire stuff confuses me and I don't get it!!! **

Breathe! It's not actually that confusing... just the math part is. Heh.
Take 235/40R19 for example:
235 = surface width of the tire in 'mm' // 40 is a percentage of the width = sidewall size // 19 = rim size.
235 = 9.25inches so a 9" rim will work ok!

Offset is where the mounting face (where it bolts onto the car) sits in relation to the center of the wheel.

Offset - stock on a Gen2 Soul is 55.
40 will push the rim 0.6inches further from the vehicle. I am still trying to determine if this will work, going to do some measurements when my factory wheels go back on because the rims I'm looking at are 19x8 - with a 40 offset.
45 will push the rim 0.4inches further from the vehicle. Most definitely ok.
(edited this section, as I had the original offset incorrect. My apologies.)

Bolt pattern on a Gen2 is 5x114.3 (or 5x4.5)

If you know this stuff... AWESOME!
If you don't know this stuff... you're a liar... because you just learnt it all!

Hope this helps anyone wanting to put 19s on their Gen2 Soul!
Cheers!

·
Registered
227 Posts
In fact when speedometer shows any speed on OEM wheels actual speed is about 2-3 mph less. It is an OEM feature.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
In fact when speedometer shows any speed on OEM wheels actual speed is about 2-3 mph less. It is an OEM feature.
never heard of that before, on my 2012 which had 18" OEM's the speedo matched my satellite speed exactly. Haven't had a chance to test my 2016 18" OEM's yet.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took my Soul out for a drive today with the scan tool hooked up.
Speedometer said 52kph, so did the wheel speed sensors.
Definitely not true for my Soul. Speedometer vs. actual speed is a match.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Never measured by myself on my soul. It was said many times that GPS shows a little less speed than speedometer. On the previous car there was such difference. I'll try to measure by myself nearest time and post the result.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Did the measurings today. The weather was nice and my phone GPS locked up to 9 satellites. I drove at 80 km/h on cruise and the phone GPS showed mainly from 77 to 79 km/h and just a couple of times little over 80 km/h. Thus I consider that the lag between spedometer and real speed seems to be true.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Umm... I don't mean to be rude, but you are trying to base your test from a cell phone GPS app. Which is most likely where your delay comes from.
I'm not saying that there is no delay...it's possible.
But a GPS app checks your phone in one location, waits a certain amount of time, and checks your location again. The speed is calculated based on how long it took you to get from point A to point B.
There WILL be a delay as a cell phone GPS is not 100% accurate.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
I agree with your assessment Ajay I was thinking the same thing when I read the post, I based mine confirmation with a Garmin where you are going direct to the satellite for the reading with minute delay.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Putting all the differences in mpg,what is accurate etc aside,a issue about fitting
19's on a Soul,or in fact--any car is cost.
I've done numerous changes of plus 1,plus 2 (even plus 3)conversions on cars I
have owned.Keep in mind ,when you go up,the dollars go up too.
Check out the cost of 19" tires vs 16 or 17's. The wheels are a one time cost.
They will be higher.
So,as with many mods that owners dream about,actually do on a Soul,I'd think,
there is a cost of the mod vs the cost of the vehicle equation.
Wheels&tires,you don't want to go cheap. Putting 19" wheels&tires on a vehicle,
costs in the range of $1,500-$2,000.
On a 15k base or even a upper model Soul?
If you have the funds hanging around,go for it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
GPS is not 100% accurate.
OK, I do not pretend to the truth. The question was if I had any proofs of the lag between actual speed and speedometer. I did measurings with the device that I had. Either to beleive or not to beleive in these results is the issue of choice.

JMO more accurate measuring without the delay factor may be done with the police laser radar, thus microwawe radar has the measuring error about 2 km/h. Unfortunately nowdays I have no friend in road police, who can help me measuring the speed with police radar.

In fact I am fully satisfied with that I have no speeding tickets, when I drive on cruise at 80 km/h where the speed limit is 80 km/h. But it is obviously better to set 78 km/h on cruise in order to be totally confident.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts