Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to make this conversion? The guy at the dealership said it couldn't be done. :(

Don

·
Registered
14,668 Posts
details of what vehicle you are talking about would help.

Fogs only operate in unison with the low beam. It could be illegal or could create major problems which why the dealership doesn't want to get involved.

Can't help as DRL are standard on all models in Canada. Mine uses the high beam at low power. It also shuts off if you pull on the handbrake and the engine is still running.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I installed a set of Philips 4 LED daytime running lights in our 2016 +, not sure if they are still available, but they ended up fitting nicely. The kit came with a sensor switch module that detects the voltage across the battery terminals so when the engine is running, the DRLS are on (voltage greater than 12.6V). There is also a lead that I spliced to the parking light so when the parking lights or the main headlights are on, the DRLs turn off. I leave the light switch on "Auto" and so the DRLs are on when the engine/alternator is working and when the light sensor turns on the headlights the DRLs are disabled. Here is a link to my post https://www.kiasoulforums.com/177-aftermarket-modifications-gen-2/96689-daytime-running-lights-installation.html

I would leave the fog lights alone. In many states, it is illegal to have just the fog lights on--they can only be used in conjunction with the headlights.

·
Super Moderator
9,392 Posts
The DRL referred to are PHILLIPS and they have been around for a few years, universal fit. There are a few threads on here that tell you about installing them. There is also a video on YouTube that shows how it is done.

-- OR --

You can do what I do. Despite there being an auto light function on some of these cars (my 2017 has it), it can be tricky. I was interested in DRLs also so here is what I did/do. I just turn the headlights on and leave them in the on position-low beam. I know that these are not running at a reduced rate and are bright but you don't have to fool with them. When you get out of your car and remove the key (or as in my case, open the door with push button start) they automatically shut off. Easy to do and not an annoyance.

When you get back into the car and start it, there the lights are on again and you did not have to push a switch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The DRL referred to are PHILLIPS and they have been around for a few years, universal fit. There are a few threads on here that tell you about installing them. There is also a video on YouTube that shows how it is done.

-- OR --

You can do what I do. Despite there being an auto light function on some of these cars (my 2017 has it), it can be tricky. I was interested in DRLs also so here is what I did/do. I just turn the headlights on and leave them in the on position-low beam. I know that these are not running at a reduced rate and are bright but you don't have to fool with them. When you get out of your car and remove the key (or as in my case, open the door with push button start) they automatically shut off. Easy to do and not an annoyance.

When you get back into the car and start it, there the lights are on again and you did not have to push a switch.
This is exactly what I do... "Headlights ON for safety" On a cloudy day it makes me more visible and on a sunny day the lights don't look bright anyways.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Van ... i went back and read your original thread. Whats the deal with the light pole in the background?
I used Photoshop to get rid of the light poles and some other items in the background. Apparently not all of the photos that I posted a while back were the retouched ones--oops, good eye!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Why would you want to? First thing I did on my last vehicle was disable DRL's. Unless you live above the arctic circle don't need em!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why would you want to? First thing I did on my last vehicle was disable DRL's. Unless you live above the arctic circle don't need em!
Disagree. They are a very effective visual aid for other drivers to see you.
Anyone else on here old enough to remdmber the original DRL? Back in thd early 60's we lived in the chicagon area and would drivd up into michigan to see friends. Interstate highways were just getting built, so we drove a lot of back roads. Frequently saw cars with one white light in thd center of thd radiator grille. Small light, like a running light off a trailer.
Also witnessed an interesting driving habit: line of cars going down the road, first car turns on turn signal for an upcoming turn, all the following cars turned on their signals. This was especially helpful for people turning left, so following cars would not get impatient and pull out to pass, resulting in an accident.

·
Registered
14,668 Posts
I agree with you, it makes a big difference for visibility (others able to see you, more so if it's bright sunshine too), so much so that it's been standard in Canada since 1990

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree with you, it makes a big difference for visibility (others able to see you, more so if it's bright sunshine too), so much so that it's been standard in Canada since 1990
That's BS from the 60's in Scandinavia. Maybe in northern parts of Canada, where the twilight (dawn/dusk) lasts hours... or the whole day (above Arctic Circle), but not in southern latitudes where is very short. Automatic lights are better.
https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/different-types-twilight.html

Today, every single person that doesn't see you when driving, does it because they look at their cellphones.
And roads at night are full with people driving with no rear lights, because they think that the DRL are the actual "automatic lights" for night. Doesn't help that the dashboards on modern cars are lighted permanently.

Now, having said that, I agree that, for some people, they might make the car look slightly cooler. So, just say it is for vanity reasons, stop pretending it's for safety, and I am cool with that.

·
Super Moderator
9,392 Posts
...Now, having said that, I agree that, for some people, they might make the car look slightly cooler. So, just say it is for vanity reasons, stop pretending it's for safety, and I am cool with that.
I have been running my headlights during the day especially on the highways for years, since the 60s. I don't do it for vanity reasons have never heard that before. I do it strictly for visibility reasons that I picked up from my motorcycle days before I had a license to drive a car. I guess this is going to be an argument since there is no science behind it that I know of. Just make sense to me.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Like I said, when you live under the "gray" almost all year (like Michigan), it might make sense. Depressing...

But here in VA is just a gimmick, to make the car look more "aggressive". And that's fine with me. But it doesn't make your car more visible. If someone doesn't see a big hunk of steel on the road during daytime, is most likely not gonna see it with the lights on, because they are staring at their phone. Just my 2 cents.

Automatic lights, set to turn on at dusk and dawn, yes, those are more efficient, improve safety, and I don't know why those are not required.
Combine that with automatic high-beam...
https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/auto-high-beam-headlights/

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Like I said, when you live under the "gray" almost all year (like Michigan), it might make sense. Depressing...

But here in VA is just a gimmick, to make the car look more "aggressive". And that's fine with me. But it doesn't make your car more visible. If someone doesn't see a big hunk of steel on the road during daytime, is most likely not gonna see it with the lights on, because they are staring at their phone. Just my 2 cents.

Automatic lights, set to turn on at dusk and dawn, yes, those are more efficient, improve safety, and I don't know why those are not required.
Combine that with automatic high-beam...
https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/auto-high-beam-headlights/
SoNic did you type this while cruising down the road in your Soul ?

·
Registered
187 Posts
For me it's an easy way to identify *******s on the road. If lights on are safe then let's all have strobe lights. Even safer! And Hi-Viz cars only! Safety! Think of the children! Pipes save lives!
This has now led to ultra bright LED always on strips (that, for some dumb reason turn off the headlight to turn on the turn signal) and copy cat wanna-bes who install HID bulbs in reflector housings and blind everyone to the ultimate - the jacked up trucks with the 6000 lumen light bars blasting everyone.

Safety. Sure..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
Joefromga
Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners
We’re the ultimate Kia Soul community dedicated to Soul owners and fans!
Full Forum Listing