Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2020 Kia Soul EX, automatic transmission, was just in the shop with a RPM Surging problem. The dealer appears to have fixed that issue as the RPMs no longer surge when it is being driven, But now the "Gear" indicator light on the dashboard is flashing. It doesn't matter what gear it is in, the (P,R,N,D) the indicator flashes. Anybody have any idea why the gear position indicator light would be flashing?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes, you need to take it back to the dealer. When they perform the recall or while they were servicing your vehicle they reset the adaptive values. The transmission then needs to relearn the adaptive values and the dealer should start the car, leave it in park and monitor the data until it switches "learning P range from OFF to ON". What happened is it failed to learn in P range either due to them handing it back to you before it learned (needs to be left in park till it learns) or because the transmission needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, the original reason it was in for service was because while driving on the highway with cruise control on the RPM's would surge up and down by 1000 to 1500 RPM's and to a lesser extent on side roads. When starting from a stop it was like the engine was rev'ing but the car was slow to get up to speed. Almost like a manual transmission with the clutch not being fully disengaged. It seemed to do all of this in a very short amount of time. The dealer originally said if the software update didn't fix the issue the transaxle might need to be replaced. Thanks again for the quick answer.

·
Registered
527 Posts
When they perform the software update they are supposed to reset adaptive values and monitor the data to see if it completes the learning. It didn't and threw the error at which point they are supposed to replace the transmission. Someone made an error. I'm sure they will replace it and make it right

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So are you saying that they could have possibly avoided replacing the transmission if they had done the reset? Or that since it didn't complete the learning they should have known that they had to replace it and probably shouldn't have given it back to us. You seem to know a lot about Kias, they aren't going to try and give me a rebuilt transmission are they? The car has 24,000 miles on it, but it is a 2020. If they give me a different transmission they should still have to cover the power train to 100,000 miles. My experience with car was from the 70's and 80's and today computer controlled car are a whole different animal. Thanka again...

·
Registered
527 Posts
It depends on when the service was done, they revised the transmission update some time ago to include waiting to confirm the learning process, it was not a requirement a couple of months ago.
I am a tech at a Kia dealer, full disclosure.
The tech that performed the update either made a mistake or something else happened that hasn't occurred at the dealership I work at but you can never tell as sometimes I read about something strange that I haven't seen right on these boards only to see it a little time later in person. I like to help people but have also learned a few problems on here before I ever came across it and felt more prepared to address them because of the preliminary info I got.
The procedure calls for the update to be installed, adaptive values to be reset and then verification of the adaptive learning in Park. Cars that exhibited symptoms like yours but had no codes stored (if codes are already stored trans is replaced automatically) typically fail the learning process and have the transmission replaced.
Perhaps some of the process was not completed by mistake but that would only be speculating and I don't think it would be right to make that assumption. Your warranty is valid and your car will be repaired with the updated version.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
It's so refreshing, to read posts from someone who actually knows what he's talking about.
That doesn't happen all that often.
I have a problem on the computer forums, with guys who don't know a transistor from a doohicky.

Thanks bwdz75, you're much appreciated here!

FLH :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They still do not have it ironed out yet. They said the update for the software had already been done and they still didn't have any answers. They did do the adaptive learning process, and it still did not fix the issue. They put the info out on Technet or something like that, but they have not heard back from them yet. They said they could not offer a rental car until they got approval for the tech people. The dealership did give me a car for one night and we will see what happens after that. They also said that if the transaxle needs to be replaced that they will have to ship one from Korea and that will be at least 8 days and the service tech said they are on backorder, so I would say if it does have to be replaced it may take several weeks. Well if it takes a month, that is a month worth of miles that won't be put on the car while we have the rental. Also, I will have a transaxle with 24,000 miles less than the car has. My wife loves her Soul. I would still recommend the Soul. Every car make/model can can have issues, and I understand that. Just as long as they company makes good on getting everything resolved satisfactory...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree wholeheartedly. I have been on Forums that people had no clue what was going on, and the post could be up a month and nobody replies. bwdz75 was quick to reply and everything said made sense. Thank you again bwdz75... I will keep posting as the issue plays out just, it always seems strange when nobody ever gives a resolution to the issue...

·
Registered
527 Posts
There must be something strange going on that I haven't seen. The procedure we use has a flow chart, if the update is installed, adaptive values cleared and it fails the learning process (flashes the gear indicator and throws a failed learning code) then the transmission gets replaced. They reached out to Kia techline who guides techs through unusual problems so I'm sure something odd is going on. Hope they can find a suitable solution for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They said today that the transmission will have to be replaced. They have to get one from Korea, and they are extremely backlogged according to the tech at the Dealership. So I am figuring 3 to 4 weeks. But I told my wife, if we have the loaner car for a month, that is a months worth of miles she won't put on the car. She probably puts about 1500 miles a month on her Soul and we get a car with a new transmission. As a tech do Souls have a lot of serious transmission problems, or is this an oddity???

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately I needed same trans today for a rental fleet Soul that was towed in and I was also told it's on backorder and no idea for how long so it goes to the back of the lot, this is the first one that we either didn't have on hand or was more than 2 days out that I have had to deal with.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Rather than go into several paragraphs just google it.
The short version is that the TCU controls your shift points and clutch engagement through multiple solenoids and sensors. It can calculate and adjust for clutch wear and fluid break down etc... by measuring how long it takes to perform a shift so it can adjust clutch engagement time etc... etc... so that you will feel normal shifts even though your fluid and clutches and so on are changing. Once the values are reset the TCU performs a series of self tests and starts to learn again and adjust so that you feel normal shifting.
To throw more wood on the fire if your transmission or valve body are replaced the solenoid characteristics etc. have to be inputed into the TCU. There is a tag on every transmission with those characteristic numbers that has to be programmed. Kia does make it easy for us as it has a QR code on it and the Kia scanner can just read it and input them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it has been 3 weeks since we dropped the Soul off, they still do not have any idea when they are going to get a transmission in to replace it. Did you hear anything on when you might get a transmission for the Fleet Soul you guys have? As long as they give me a car to drive, I can wait 2 or 3 months. That's 1500 - 2000 miles a month that she isn't putting on her Soul...

·
Registered
527 Posts
I can't say with any certainty but I've been told 2nd week of March by my parts guy, have 2 waiting now. Did a Forte the other day, we had that one in stock and it was our last one so it was done by noon for that fortunate customer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Being a Tech maybe you can explain this to me. My car has been at the dealership for almost 4 weeks. Thursday I get a text and email that shows they did an inspection on the car they had had for almost 4 weeks. Everything checked out green, but it just looked like a courtesy inspection they do when they have the car in for a checkup. But why after having my car for that amount of a time do they suddenly inspect it? My wife tried calling the service department and nobody answered. A few hours later I called the service department and nobody answered. But since they haven't called to say the car was ready, I can just assume that they do not have the car ready...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well maybe that is when they scanned in the inspection. We do those typically the day it gets diagnosed as then any other issue can be addressed but it doesn't get scanned in for some time. I have had cars that come back for their next oil change (some people drive a lot of miles so they come like once a month) and not had their last inspection to look over to see if we need an extra careful look at anything. I even pencil in if car came in low on oil so we can watch and see if there is a consumption issue or the like.
I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, if you haven't heard already Kia servers have been down for over 10 days so no warranty work, recall work or normal parts ordering is happening. I have no idea and do not wish to speculate if this will have any delays on parts ordered previously or how your dealer will handle the workload this will create when everything is back up, heck I am not even sure how our place will reschedule everyone but I am sure I have some long days ahead of me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That doesn't both me much. My wife is putting 1500 - 2000 miles a month on the loaner car and not her car. Thanks for the info...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts