Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT-Line Turbo Cherry Black
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey y'all. So I just ordered the decal below in red for my 2020 Cherry Black GT Turbo.
I have all the stuff... but I've never put one of these on before. Watched youtube "how to's", etc. but my question is this:
I'm fairly handy, but don't want to screw this up.
Do it myself?
Take it to a shop?

Ideas - thoughts - suggestions - appreciated.
Which ever way - I'll share pix after it's done.

RevScott

PS

This decal in red...

IMG_20201120_072955_9.jpg

·
Registered
2021 Soul EX. Sparkling Silver. Black/Gray interior.
28 Posts
I'd say do what you're most comfortable doing. You could order a cheap wall decal from Amazon, or even pick a couple up at a dollar store and practice. I've installed vinyl graphics before. The main thing is to use a spray bottle with a few drops of soap in it. As long as the surface is wet; you can adjust the image. Take your time and I'd use a hair dryer rather than heat gun if you've not applied vinyl before. A heat gun can melt the vinyl before you realize it if you're not used to using one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looks pretty easy in that you only have to crease the vinyl up over the rocker panel as well as keeping it straight. Be sure to clay-rub that area (watch YT vids). But you could get a price from a shop to help with the decision.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm... Hadn't thought of it that way

·
Registered
861 Posts
Gonna do both sides?
Looking at the bodywork, it seems it might be pretty challenging to get right. Get some help.
Don't forget to post pics.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes... Both sides
Absolutely pix

·
Registered
2020 SOUL S in Inferno Red
15 Posts
RevScott, thanks for the post and the pics! Like you, I'm contemplating a DIY install for decals. I ordered black rally stripes for my Inferno Red 2020 S on eBay. They're coming from China, so I have plenty of time to decide if I try doing it myself of taking it to a shop.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The decal arrived today. I'm going to see if I can find a shop this weekend to at least get a quote. Kind of excited about the red spider on the side of it :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
While I'm more a fan of stripes, I still vote DIYing it !!! Like someone posted about using soap and water and...take your time... it'll work!

Greg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the search to find someone to get a price for putting on the decal goes on... A twist with COVID is the decal shops in town are only doing commercial stuff now not private.

I live in an apartment so garaging it during the application is out.

I'm going next to the folks that put on window film perhaps they can help me out. Haven't given up yet

·
Registered
28 Posts
Keep us posted. Anxious to see the finished product. Hope the tint people can help you out. I don’t have a garage either, so I feel ya on limitations. All the vinyl I’ve done has been in my driveway. All depends on the weather and if you’d still have access to a heat gun.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm hoping soon - but I will post pix when I get there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay - here I go... Found a reputable decal shop going to do it for $100. With the fiddley bits, weird curves, & length of the decal - I'm going to have them do it. the wind has been blowing non-stop here in Amarillo - Apartment w/ no garage - I'm just not comfortable trying this one myself.
I also am having them do red rails strips on the roof like Chuck79pacecar did & red caps on the mirrors. $150 for that.
Will have it by tonight.

All in - Decal, application & red wrap $285. Not too bad.

I psyched to pick it up. I'll post pix this week.
(y)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey y'all. So I just ordered the decal below in red for my 2020 Cherry Black GT Turbo.
I have all the stuff... but I've never put one of these on before. Watched youtube "how to's", etc. but my question is this:
I'm fairly handy, but don't want to screw this up.
Do it myself?
Take it to a shop?

Ideas - thoughts - suggestions - appreciated.
Which ever way - I'll share pix after it's done.

RevScott
View attachment 135212
This decal in red...

On this black car...
View attachment 135213
Then it will be, eight legs, four wheels and flies!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well here she is just coming out of the shop. I apologize for the poor pic, but I had to get back to work & the sun is going down.

I will try to get some better ones this weekend. But you get the idea.

Spider decal, also wrapped the mirror tops & the rail panels on the roof - All in - $285.

Meet "Redback"
I like her!

·
Registered
861 Posts
You're never gonna see another like it, that's for sure.
Seems pricey, but if you like it, that's what matters.
Waiting for better pics with better lighting. (y)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:D
Makes me happy!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well here she is just coming out of the shop. I apologize for the poor pic, but I had to get back to work & the sun is going down.

Spider decal, also wrapped the mirror tops & the rail panels on the roof - All in - $285.

Meet "Redback"
I like her!

View attachment 135343
Amen! Now that is stunning! Looks great and it is now like mine, one of a kind! I have a spoiler on order.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Meet "Redback"
I like her!

View attachment 135343
Awesome. Very unique! I prefer to individualize my vehicles as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts