Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I've recently financed a Kia Soul 2016+ with 81k miles. This is my first personal car and I'm really excited! I just wanted to ask if any of y'all had any tips in regards to when to get it checked out, what to look out for, etc., etc.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hello everyone!
I've recently financed a Kia Soul 2016+ with 81k miles. This is my first personal car and I'm really excited! I just wanted to ask if any of y'all had any tips in regards to when to get it checked out, what to look out for, etc., etc.
Thanks so much!
There’s a lot of discussion about them in the “second generation” part of the forum. The most important thing to do is CHECK the oil regularly and CHANGE it on time.

Gasoline Direct Injection engines like what’s in your Soul are powerful and efficient for their size, but they tend to be very hard on oil.

Follow the severe maintenance schedule for oil changes and you should be fine. (No more than 5,000 miles between oil changes, but preferably no more than 4,000)

Also, ignore the constant complainers.

Reactions: jdmartin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There’s a lot of discussion about them in the “second generation” part of the forum. The most important thing to do is CHECK the oil regularly and CHANGE it on time.

Gasoline Direct Injection engines like what’s in your Soul are powerful and efficient for their size, but they tend to be very hard on oil.

Follow the severe maintenance schedule for oil changes and you should be fine. (No more than 5,000 miles between oil changes, but preferably no more than 4,000)

Also, ignore the constant complainers.
Thank you so much for the quick response!! I'll definitely check out the second generation part of the forum :)

This might be a silly question but is the "Trip A" on my dashboard referencing the miles I've driven?

·
Registered
682 Posts
is the "Trip A" on my dashboard referencing the miles I've driven?
It is if you reset it to zero when you first got it. It’s the “trip-o-meter”. You can cycle through the menu, trip, fuel economy, timer, and average speed, with the steering wheel control buttons on the right and reset them by holding the reset button for a few seconds.

Reactions: kawaiikidney

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Check the oil regularly and religiously. I check mine every other fill-up, but I'm at 182k+ miles and know that I'm burning a quart maybe every 1500-2000k miles or so. Low oil will kill your engine.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
It is if you reset it to zero when you first got it. It’s the “trip-o-meter”. You can cycle through the menu, trip, fuel economy, timer, and average speed, with the steering wheel control buttons on the right and reset them by holding the reset button for a few seconds.
I'm sure hardly anyone does this besides me, but the trip-o-meter is my backup (actually, for me it's my primary) fuel gauge. I know that I can drive this car safely 300 miles, even if I'm doing more city driving, without running out of gas short of some issue. If my fuel gauge ever goes dead, all I need to do is look at that number. I reset it every single time I fill up with gas, and I never get gas without filling up.

This comes from 2 things: first, many years of a long-distance commute through the mountains, where I want to both be sure that I don't run out of gas since my options are limited and want to limit the number of times I have to stop to get gas, and from having junkers in the past where the gas gauge was/went dead. Unfortunately, this lesson was lost on my daughter, who once had a Lincoln that the gas gauge went dead and ran out of gas enough times to kill the tank-mounted fuel pump despite me showing her multiple times how to use the odometer that way. Of course, she never got the hang of it because she wouldn't fill the tank to the top, and without doing that the method is virtually worthless :D

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
434 Posts
Thank you so much for the quick response!! I'll definitely check out the second generation part of the forum :)

This might be a silly question but is the "Trip A" on my dashboard referencing the miles I've driven?
As rhysoul answered yes. You actually have two tripmeters - A & B.

2014-2019 Kia Soul - Trip Computer - Overview

I use Tripmeter A to show number of miles since my previous gas fill-up. I calculate my mpg based on miles driven divided by the amount of gas at fill-up. The MPG readout on the gauge cluster is overly optimistic by maybe 1-3 miles per gallon.

And I use Tripmeter B to show number of miles since I performed the previous oil change.

Did your car come with an Owners Manual? If not the links below have a Generation 2 Owner's Manual and Service Manual. I personally use the service manual page quite a bit.

Kia Soul 2014-2019 PS Owner's Manual

Kia Soul 2014-2019 PS Service Manual

Kia Soul manuals

1 - 8 of 8 Posts