Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's two, Kia.

My first Kia.

One more indication of shoddy engineering in the form of major system premature failures or a big recall, and it's gone (I'll dump it) and this will be my last Kia.

Classic Kia fan quip: "But at least we have a loooooooooong warranty!"

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
I don't blame you one bit after reading some of the stories concerning KIA and the warranty that they pound their chest about....

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
That's two, Kia.

My first Kia.

One more indication of shoddy engineering in the form of major system premature failures or a big recall, and it's gone (I'll dump it) and this will be my last Kia.

That sucks Astro. The question is what car brand isn't suffering piston ring/oil consumption/failed engines etc etc.

Subaru is recalling nearly 875,000 cars and SUVs in the U.S. because the engines can stall or a rear suspension part can fall off. The stalling recall covers more than 466,000 Crosstrek SUVs from 2018 and 2019 and Impreza cars from 2017 through 2019.Apr 21, 2021

https://www.cars.com/articles/2008-2012-honda-accord-piston-ring-issue-1420685066617/

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hyundai is also recalling the Fortes with the same engines that were produced during the same period for the same problem. So it’s not just Kia. I would. I would not be surprised to learn that the engines and transmissions were Hyundai manufacture. I do note that it‘s only approximately 1% of the engines of the circa 127000, Souls manufactured during the period that are affected.
on a differ note. My wife’s 2012 Subaru Impreza had a recall in 2018 which required the ” top“ of the engine to be rebuilt due to “weak” valve springs. This recall covered several years worth of cars. It ain't just Hyundai/Kia.

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
61 Posts
That's two, Kia.

My first Kia.

My first Kia, also, my last Kia.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My first Kia, also, my last Kia.
Don't judge all of Kia on one car. :p
I'm still baffled by the fact that the panoramic sunroof option - available on past Soul models - isn't available anymore.
Kia's are still great values - bang for the buck.
I'm not a fan of the CVT/IVT transmissions. They just feel too spongy.

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
61 Posts
Don't judge all of Kia on one car. :p
I'm still baffled by the fact that the panoramic sunroof option - available on past Soul models - isn't available anymore.
Kia's are still great values - bang for the buck.
I'm not a fan of the CVT/IVT transmissions. They just feel too spongy.
Over looked worst dealer experience in 55 year history........not this.

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
61 Posts
It does not surprise me. Most consumers do not read reviews on new cars, they do not investigate prices, look at invoice prices (Or even know what that is), understand or know about incentives-Holdback, timing...so many things. They look at a car, like it, drive it....like it....read the sticker....pay for it. Usually get screwed on the price and double and triple screwed when you toss in finance and added dealer options. Dealers count on stupid.... Love it when you go in and answer the question....."Where would you like to be in a payment?"

·
Registered
240 Posts
That's two, Kia.

My first Kia.

Another classic "So you think you know better than the people that designed it"

Well, yea!!!! People retune, replace with aftermarket and go the next step above and beyond what Kia or any manufacturer recommends because of poor engineering.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another data point.. 2020 Soul EX with about 5000 miles. CVT started constantly shifting at steady speed on slight upgrade around 4000 miles and has gotten steadily worse. Very bad before car fully warmed up. Problem is dealer 45 miles away so the problem (mostly) self corrects by time I get there. They cannot reproduce and there are no error codes. New symptom is rough shaking when slowing for a stop, like a manual transmission when you forget to engage a clutch. Will post update when we know more...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Very easy fix - - - DUMP THE DANG THING and go buy a Toyota or Honda. :rolleyes:
That's what I have now - A 2007 Honda Fit Sport - great solid car - with a real AT! only 68K miles when I bought it about 4 months ago. No leaks and runs like a sewing machine! :)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Sewing Machine?
I didn't buy a sewing machine, I bought an Automobile. One that I was pretty certain would give me good performance, based on my Test Drive, where I scared the crap out of the salesman. The next day he retired! :ROFLMAO:
Seriously, I often see cars that perform better, but get seriously worse MPG. I watch them on TV.....NASCAR!

There may be some manufacturing faults in the New 2020 Soul 2.0 engines, but it's not across the board.
I really like the new Atkinson Cycle engines. With as many moving parts as there are in my 2.0L engine, if it made no noise at all, I'd really be worried. I know my own engine sounds very well, and as long as they don't change, I'm OK with it. She still runs like a scalded cat!!! (at 21.3K miles)

:cool:

·
Registered
224 Posts
“Runs like a sewing machine” is an old saying kinda like a “well oiled machine”. A smooth running reliable machine. Being an old “engineer” I’m sure you’ve heard that before. 😂

The Soul is a fine car, but it felt heavy and spongy IMHO. Once I drove my 2007 Fit I was in love. Also the Soul has a long list of great safety features. The Fit doesn’t.

When the time comes for my 2022 Stinger I think I’ll still keep my Fit as it’s in unusually great shape. The Fit is now 14 years old and still runs like new. I hope the Souls last that long. The IVT/CVT worries me a bit.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul Turbo 1.6L
16 Posts
Luckily I was able to get the 2021 T-GDI with the dual clutch transmission. So far, so good, except for the absolutely horrible software upgrade (more like a serious downgrade) for the radio and navigation system. I agree that KIA is having their issues, as well as other automakers. The key is how they are handling it. Things could be really bad - Google Ford Dual Clutch Transmission. Ford tried to downplay it all and got caught. Look at Volkswagon - Transmission issues, and lets not forget DieselGate.

I lease my KIA, so I am not worried about long term stuff - but I will NEVER EVER buy a CVT transmission from any manufacturer. KIA decided to make their CVT transmissions appear to behave like a conventional transmission with noticeable shift points. That defeats the whole point of a CVT. If that is all that I have to choose from when I turn in my current car 3 years from now, then I will move on to something else.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So with all these recalls going on for kia,is 2018-2019 the souls golden years? Not a peep about the 2018 or 19 with 2.0. unless I'm missing something here, those are the best years to own a soul.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul ! 2.0gdi
69 Posts
I'm knocking on wood while I write this, but I have a 2016 with the 2.0l and it seems fine with 55k on the odometer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's two, Kia.

My first Kia.

Another fan quip: "Owners with problems are more likely to post on the forum . . . thus creating a bad impression of the product."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts