Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally put 7,500 on the Soul. Dropped it off at the dealer for the first 7,500 mile service. Picked it up and realized they only did oil change. Tech said that the other things were not needed yet. Also surprised that the OEM oil is a blend and not full synthetic yet they advise that it lasts 7,500 miles? I am used to 3,000-5,000 mile oil changes.

UVO App shows that fuel additive is recommended at 7,500 as well as tire rotation. Dealer said not needed yet... just oil change. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,120 Posts
7,500 miles isn't enough for anything other than regular maintenance.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,619 Posts
Are you using Top Tier gas? If not, Kia put out a TSB saying to use Techron every so often (I think like 6 months or 3000 mi).

Otherwise there isn't much to do at 7500 miles.

It's still an infant Soul. Is that baby powder I smell?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
sounds like the dealer is looking after you well, not doing things that are not necessary, most of that service is just inspection which at a dealership will be included in your normal oil change (it is at my dealership). Fuel additive is only required if you don't use Top Tier gas (it has a reference *6 next to that that refers to this), otherwise its every 7500 miles or 12 months.

Recommended does not mean compulsory.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
666 Posts
7500 mi is ok for an oil change IF you're not "severe duty". Otherwise it's half that. Severe duty is: A) repeated short trips of less than 5 miles, or less than 10 miles in freezing temp, B) extensive idling or low speed driving for long distances, C) driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled, or salted roads, D) driving on salted roads or in very cold weather, E) driving in sandy areas, F) driving in heavy traffic over 90F, G) driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain roads, H) towing or using a roof rack, I) patrol car, taxi, or other commercial, J) driving over 100MPH, K) frequent stop-and-go.

So it really does depend on your usage. But most of us drive under "severe conditions", so should get more frequent oil changes. I guess Kia says synthetic doesn't matter, some here feel otherwise, me, I change the oil every 3250 with whatever the oil change place has. (Some here feel that genuine Kia filters are necessary, personally I think that any quality filter should be ok, some of those will be made by the same companies that make the filters for Kia.)

·
Registered
994 Posts
7500 mi is ok for an oil change IF you're not "severe duty". Otherwise it's half that. Severe duty is: A) repeated short trips of less than 5 miles, or less than 10 miles in freezing temp, B) extensive idling or low speed driving for long distances, C) driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled, or salted roads, D) driving on salted roads or in very cold weather, E) driving in sandy areas, F) driving in heavy traffic over 90F, G) driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain roads, H) towing or using a roof rack, I) patrol car, taxi, or other commercial, J) driving over 100MPH, K) frequent stop-and-go.

So it really does depend on your usage. But most of us drive under "severe conditions", so should get more frequent oil changes. I guess Kia says synthetic doesn't matter, some here feel otherwise, me, I change the oil every 3250 with whatever the oil change place has. (Some here feel that genuine Kia filters are necessary, personally I think that any quality filter should be ok, some of those will be made by the same companies that make the filters for Kia.)
Almost no car today needs an oil change as early as 3,000 miles.

I figured it was time for another oil thread...:Yay::laughonfloor

Greg

·
Registered
811 Posts
This is why I do my own maintenance. I use what oil I choose, check all filters and fluids, tighten,torque what need be and rotate the shoes.

I'm fortunate to not only have the tools and ability, but the appropriate space to do so. There is a certain self gratification associated w/ a job properly & well done.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,120 Posts
^^^^^Well said! You are like I am....61 and still like to determine what needs to be done at what time. So I like to get under my vehicles and do oil changes and grease the required suspension components (on our pickup). My oil & filter changes are done every 5000 miles.......I have been doing it this way for over 40 years, probably why our vehicles last a long time.

Reactions: wildhandyman

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,658 Posts
Tires are certainly due for a rotation.
My first oil change is usually at 1000 or less.

I don't feel that KIA brand oil filters are necessary, I (edit) KNOW they are necessary, largely because if you have engine issues related to oil you can be denied due to a non-KIA oil filter. Besides that, there is no reason to NOT use them.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
I don't feel that KIA brand oil filters are necessary, I think they are necessary, largely because if you have engine issues related to oil you can be denied due to a non-KIA oil filter. Besides that, there is no reason to NOT use them.
Well said Neanderthal. No matter what someones favorite brand of oil filter is, Kia put out a TSB (#114) that says any related damage caused by the use of a "substandard" oil filter is not warrantable.

"Kia designed oil filters meet the various requirements for proper filtration, leak down, oil flow rate & pressure variations to ensure the optimal performance of the engine lubrication system."

"Kia does not test aftermarket filters & recommends the use of Kia genuine parts that are designed to operate at the specifications set forth during engine lubrication design & testing to ensure optimal engine lubrication system performance."

To be clear, it doesn't mean your favorite brand of oil filter isn't better. It just means that KIA doesn't (or won't) acknowledge it.

So I guess you can use whatever filter floats your boat. But if you want to avoid a warranty hassle, the little blue filter is the ticketed item.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Wait for it...
Can you hear it?
It's coming...
Another oil & filter debate.
Just when you thought is was safe to get back in the soul...

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
It's like any slasher movie..........don't investigate that noise in the basement!!

LEAVE IT ALONE.................:run:

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
:sleeping: :wrongforum: :stupid: :spam: :violin:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Finally put 7,500 on the Soul. Dropped it off at the dealer for the first 7,500 mile service. Picked it up and realized they only did oil change. Tech said that the other things were not needed yet. Also surprised that the OEM oil is a blend and not full synthetic yet they advise that it lasts 7,500 miles? I am used to 3,000-5,000 mile oil changes.

UVO App shows that fuel additive is recommended at 7,500 as well as tire rotation. Dealer said not needed yet... just oil change. Thoughts?
Me thinks your dealer is a Cheapskate!
Every car dealer I've had in the last two decades has told me when I picked up my new car, "we'll see you in 3000 miles for your first oil change". I've heard it said that there is no such thing as 'Break In Oil', but, the oil that comes in a new car is what cleans out all the metal and fiber that comes off inside a new engine, during those first few thousand miles. Getting that OUT of there is important. The filter will be full of that crap!!

My first three (FREE) oil changes were free from my dealer and they were at 3k intervals. So in nine months I had run out of free oil changes. I've been doing my own ever since, still keeping up with the 3k oil change interval.
At the same time I give the whole car a bumper to bumper inspection. That's way long enough for any car to go without a good inspection. A lot of S*** can happen to a car in 3000 miles.

On one of my 3k inspections I found a broken exhaust pipe hanger. I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the hanger under warranty. Had I not been UNDER my car, I would have never found that.

The only bad maintenance is that which you decided NOT to do.

Happy Trails Mates,
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
666 Posts
I don't feel that KIA brand oil filters are necessary, I think they are necessary, largely because if you have engine issues related to oil you can be denied due to a non-KIA oil filter. Besides that, there is no reason to NOT use them.
You CANNOT (in the US) be denied if the damage wasn't provably due to a bad filter. (Yes, I know that Hyundai/Kia has a rep for trying to weasel out of warranty coverage, they voided mine due to the dimples.) I have asked before if anyone has had warranty denied because of non-Kia filters. I'm still waiting for someone to speak up. (It's not that I have anything against Kia filters, probably made by Champion or some such company, it's that I don't do my own oil changes and I'm not going to piss half a day treking into the suburban wasteland to pay 50% more for an oil change. And Midas will rotate my tires for free while they're at it.)

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
You CANNOT (in the US) be denied if the damage wasn't provably due to a bad filter. (Yes, I know that Hyundai/Kia has a rep for trying to weasel out of warranty coverage, they voided mine due to the dimples.) I have asked before if anyone has had warranty denied because of non-Kia filters. I'm still waiting for someone to speak up. (It's not that I have anything against Kia filters, probably made by Champion or some such company, it's that I don't do my own oil changes and I'm not going to piss half a day treking into the suburban wasteland to pay 50% more for an oil change. And Midas will rotate my tires for free while they're at it.)
I think you're probably right dynamo. There "may be" someone somewhere who has been denied warranty service, but I also haven't heard of anyone.

The point we're making is what Kia has put in writing only. Using a non Kia filter would make a warranty claim just that much more difficult should "something" go wrong with the non-Kia filter & it damages the engine. Some of us just don't find it worth testing fate when it's not necessary.

In your case, or if someone has a favorite brand, the risk may be minimal. For me, as I would guess most folks, going up against a company the size of Hyundai/Kia in a court case would probably not be worth the value of the car.

If I were advising "Normal Joe" who has the choice between Kia Brand Filter & Acme Whatever Filter, and they don't really care that much, I'd say get the Kia Brand and here's why.

Who knows, we may have a better chance of winning a lotto than ever having a problem with any oil filter.

Reactions: FLHamster

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I want to drive my Soul, till the wheels fall off, because I sure as heck can't afford to trade.
So I do everything humanly possible to protect my engine for that long haul.

One of the easiest and simplest things I can do is change my oil on an aggressive schedule (3K) and use only a Kia oil filter. Every dealer has them on the shelf and they only cost around $6 to $7 depending on sales tax rate.
It makes NO difference who actually made them, since they were made to Kia's own specifications.
KIA OIL FILTER.JPG

So why even take a chance on some non-OEM filter that may not do as good a job as the Kia Filter.
And no-one even mentioned, that the brand X filters don't have the regulator valve in them, that assures the correct oil pressure to the VVT system. That's critical to the proper operation of the engine. Adding the Variable Valve Timing System * to the Kia engines, greatly increased the performance and MPG, so why take a chance on messing it up??? That would be just plain Stupid!

And, "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID"!

:cool:

* I'll bet that most of the Soul owners on this forum don't even know that their engine even has a VVT system, or what it does. Eh?
FYI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glUXDMuQ3Bs

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,658 Posts
I just believe in avoiding trouble if at all possible. And for the price of an oil filter, they can be ordered online for el cheapo. I simply do not see the point in NOT using recommended parts. An engine failure is extremely unlikely and it being caused by an oil filter is further astronomical-odds-unlikely. But...

I've had more warranty-weasel issues with Dodge-Chrysler and Pontiac (at Buick-GMC since it was after Poncho was laid to rest) than with KIA.

Well, I haven't had any warranty issues with any KIA. Our d-i-l had her transmixer go out on her 2008 Sorento. It was towed to and from the dealer and her total cost was 25 bucks for a bridge toll.

I HAVE run into various a-holes at KIA dealerships, 90% in sales and the other 45% in service. I had the tiniest of hood latch issues with my '15, the service writer was too stupid or lazy to do what I later decided to do at home, apply five seconds' worth of WD-40 or silicone spray to the hood latch mechanism. PROBLEM SOLVED.

I did drop into the local KIA jackass housing area and asked Parts if they had KIA or SOUL baseball caps. Parts homeboy looked at me for several seconds as if I'd just asked him if I could have sex with his wife or mother, then he said, no, "I've never heard of that. Never heard of KIA baseball caps."

Some guys just don't get out much I guess.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts