Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, gang!

I took my little Cocoa to the dealership for her first service. The service advisor knew right off the bat that I was "old-school", meaning that I bought my car in for her first service at 3,000 - 3,500. He told me that nowadays, cars go to 5,000 for their first service. I was like HUH?!?!? I know what I read in the manual, but I NEVER go by the manual, preferring to go "extreme service" protocol instead.

Which proceeded to a discussion. Our local terrain goes from sea level to 10,280 ft. in less than 38 miles. I pull the mountain every afternoon from sea level to 1,600 ft. Much of the highway I drive on is straightaway, no switchbacks whatsoever. So I consider my driving "extreme service". He saw my point, but said modern engine technology has taken into consideration such driving conditions. After all, Souls are sold all over the world, making it a true international car.

Your thoughts, please?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I don't believe there is such a thing as too much service, I would rather have a car that was over serviced as under serviced. In Canada it is 6months or 8000 Kilometers whichever comes first. At six months I had only 1800 Kilos, but I still had an oil change. I try to drive as little as possible in the winter.

Pat.

Reactions: JavaMeister

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
We did our 1st service at less than 2K, simply because it has been 8 months since we bought the car. We live in North East, where lots of salt, gets cold, hot, drive short distances, etc. Definitely falls into extreme condition category.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
actually Pat its 6,000 km or six months for severe for oil and filter change, but for my area and my driving its about 4-5 months severe and the rest normal, so I just go by time and go for an oil change every 6 months, its just makes it simple, like Pat I don't drive a lot but not as low as him. I am at just over 3 months since I bought the car and just past the 1900 km mark, so I won't be due till August for my first change.

I did a cross Canada trip last year in my previous 2012 Soul and got the oil change based on distance in the normal model of 12,000 km as I put that distance on in a very short time.

You can't say you don't go off the manual as what you are doing is in the manual under "severe mode", so if you feel that your type of driving meets the Severe usage conditions list in your manual then follow that schedule, what anyone else does is irrelevant.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,619 Posts
1600 ft is a hill where I come from Java (said with a smile on my face). I think the owners manual, like most, suggests the first service at 6 months to make sure everything is going well with new baby Cocoa. After that, once a year is probably fine for the kind of driving you do, and in Maui no less.

But like Conwel said, what matters most is how you feel about it. I only put about 3500 a year on mine, so once a year oil change is all she gets. I might feel differently trying to push it to 7000. These cars are pretty dang solid.

I forget, is Cocoa an automatic?

Aloha

Reactions: JavaMeister

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1600 ft is a hill where I come from Java (said with a smile on my face). I think the owners manual, like most, suggests the first service at 6 months to make sure everything is going well with new baby Cocoa. After that, once a year is probably fine for the kind of driving you do, and in Maui no less.

But like Conwel said, what matters most is how you feel about it. I only put about 3500 a year on mine, so once a year oil change is all she gets. I might feel differently trying to push it to 7000. These cars are pretty dang solid.

I forget, is Cocoa an automatic?

Aloha
Aloha, GeoSoul!

Yup, Cocoa is an AT. I put on about 1,000 miles per month on her.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts

Aloha
The owners manual is pretty specific, 6 months or insert mileage here according to your schedule. It Definitely doesn't say doesn't say yearly intervals. If you only change oil once a year regardless of mileage then be prepared for a resounding no in the event of a warranty claim on the engine.

Pat.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Lets clarify what KIA recommends in their owners manual maintenance section for oil and filter changes and this has been ever since the 2012 models came out:
US:
Severe - 3,750 miles or 6 months whichever comes first
Normal - 7,500 miles or 12 months whichevery comes first

Canada:
Severe - 6,000 km or 6 months whichever comes first
Normal - 12,000 km or 12 months whichever comes first

and what constitutes severe driving conditions - here it is:

what you choose to do for yourself is entirely your choice but it should not exceed the schedule set out while under warranty.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
IMO,the first service for a NEW vehicle is important.
Like around 3k.
After that,with today's cars(standard driving),5-6k for a oil&filter change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts