Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
$8k for a used Soul like that ain't happening around here private or dealer, that was a freaking steal. $15,200 on a brand new 2020 automatic seems to be a pretty good deal from all the research I've been doing. I'm ready for a fight... even though I have the offer in writing they put down $2700 for my daughter's Highlander trade in, site unseen, and when they see it they aren't going to be happy. Not my problem, they chose to make the offer.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well here are the choices she is down to...

2020 - Base model, automatic, floor mats, dealer window tint, nitrogen in tires = $15,203.87 out the door tax, title, tags, fees. They gave her $2700 site unseen for a 2006 Highlander w 230k miles on it.
2016 - 48k miles, upper end model, 1 owner, cert pre owned so balance of 10yr/100k warranty, fresh induction cleaning, lifetime oil changes, $12,660 out the door all fees, etc... They gave her $1500 site unseen for her trade in.
With only $2,600 difference, I would definitely stick with new. They are only discounting roughly 15% off the price of new for a vehicle that has used about 30-35% of it's most useful life (12 years - 150K miles). And, you will most likely be looking at brakes, tires, 60K maintenance, etc not too far down the road. One major repair after 60K (non-powertrain, say electronics) could take a big bite out of that meager savings.

If that $15,203.87 difference is in writing (one check for that amount and the car is yours), I'd say that's pretty reasonable. Especially if your Highlander has that many miles.. LOL

With the new one, you know you will have no repair expenses for at least 5 years. And, your daughter would have Kia Roadside Assistance. The CPO you mentioned will have the bumper-to-bumper expiring soon. Only the powertrain would be covered.

We love our '20 LX with IVT. My wife has data plan on her phone, so we can connect Android Auto and have navigation and other features. Very quiet and comfortable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well the deal is being finalized today, $15,200 for a brand new Soul. We took it on a test drive yesterday and I was impressed at how peppy it was and how "normal" the CVT tranny felt. It really felt like a normal automatic.
One thing we and the sales rep noticed were 2 or 3 "hiccups" when we first drove it. Sort of like it missed or hesitated. The rep pointed out that was not normal and will have it looked at. Within 5 mins it was purring like a kitten and driving perfectly and then I got behind the wheel and put it through it's paces with no problems. We think maybe from sitting on the lot there may have been some water or something in the gas. Everything checked out OK with service.
I was surprised that Kia recommends 3,500 mile oil changes with good old dino oil as well. He said you don't need to go to a dealer for service but make sure to keep receipts from the garage that does the oil changes.
I was also blown away by the K5 and Stinger models, I gotta tell you, if I wasn't a mentally ill Wrangler owner I'd be looking at Kias :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
I like dealing with them via email and phone. Get a price out of them if possible. Go to cars.com and shotgun messages to 2-3 dealers in your area, then pit each dealer against one another. Email one, "hey this Kia is at ___ and they have it listed at $__, what can you do to match this price?" Don't step foot in the dealership until they give you a number. They like to play hostage tactics when they get you in the dealership. It's enough to make me want to dress up as John McClain and yell "Yippie Kay Yayyyyy. Motha.....fffffaaaa!" while there. If a salesman won't talk numbers with you over email or the phone, go to the next dealership. Tell them "I'm not setting foot into your dealership until you give me a price!"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I like dealing with them via email and phone. Get a price out of them if possible. Go to cars.com and shotgun messages to 2-3 dealers in your area, then pit each dealer against one another. Email one, "hey this Kia is at _ and they have it listed at $, what can you do to match this price?" Don't step foot in the dealership until they give you a number. They like to play hostage tactics when they get you in the dealership. It's enough to make me want to dress up as John McClain and yell "Yippie Kay Yayyyyy. Motha.....fffffaaaa!" while there. If a salesman won't talk numbers with you over email or the phone, go to the next dealership. Tell them "I'm not setting foot into your dealership until you give me a price!"
Yeah, that $15,200 was in writing before I ever stepped into the dealership. We had the deal all worked out via phone and simply needed to go test drive and get the paper work rolling last night. Now she just needs to go back today and sign off and pick up the shiny new car :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yeah, that $15,200 was in writing before I ever stepped into the dealership. We had the deal all worked out via phone and simply needed to go test drive and get the paper work rolling last night. Now she just needs to go back today and sign off and pick up the shiny new car :)

I actually like the back and forth when I put one salesman against another. I've had some get outright angry at another. Love watching them call each other liars. :ROFLMAO:

Congrats on the new car. Also, if you bought the trim that has the higher end Uvo services, it has parental settings where you can go in and set speed limits, and GPS tracking. I'm sure glad I'm not a parent, I have enough grief dealing with @XxHaimBondxX :LOL:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts