Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My daughter is looking at the Soul and is wanting a little help from Dad. Admittedly I am a Soul noob but want to help her out and the first thing I thought of is what is the best realistic price to be throwing at a dealer for a base model 2020 Soul? We are seeing them around the $17k mark in our area, Apex, NC.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Welcome! Are you looking at the 6-speed LX (base) or IVT? We bought the '20 LX with IVT last summer and it came to $17K after rebates (including $400 Military).

Double check the online offers for your zip code. There was one called something like "You Have To Ask" for $500 that the dealer said he knew nothing about. After looking it up, they said "Yes" it's for real. With the $1,000 rebate plus those two, I got $1,900 off right away.

The real trick, though, is making sure you keep the trade-in deal totally separate from the price of the new Soul. They can give you a GREAT deal on the new one and then give you piddly-squat for your trade. Keep the two transactions separate until the final paperwork.

Also, let them know right from the start, "I don't do bumps". (Bumps are the extra charges like $1,000 wax jobs and $500 administrative fees). Deal straight from the factory sticker. Or walk away. (Trust me, they will talk when you walk.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! Are you looking at the 6-speed LX (base) or IVT? We bought the '20 LX with IVT last summer and it came to $17K after rebates (including $400 Military).

Double check the online offers for your zip code. There was one called something like "You Have To Ask" for $500 that the dealer said he knew nothing about. After looking it up, they said "Yes" it's for real. With the $1,000 rebate plus those two, I got $1,900 off right away.

The real trick, though, is making sure you keep the trade-in deal totally separate from the price of the new Soul. They can give you a GREAT deal on the new one and then give you piddly-squat for your trade. Keep the two transactions separate until the final paperwork.

Also, let them know right from the start, "I don't do bumps". (Bumps are the extra charges like $1,000 wax jobs and $500 administrative fees). Deal straight from the factory sticker. Or walk away. (Trust me, they will talk when you walk.)

Good luck.
Would need to be the IVT since she can't drive stick. Thanks for the good info!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Do not expect your salesman to know jack shiat.......Do your research at Edmunds or KBB before you go in....if they do know....they like to play stupid...Our Salesman's go to phrase was "Oh, that's above my pay grade" Got very old, very fast

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,998 Posts
Would need to be the IVT since she can't drive stick. Thanks for the good info!!!
Like pnoman said, be prepared to walk. Maybe even plan on it during your first visit. It's kind of like poker, if they see excitement & stars in your eyes, they have you.

My salesman kept asking me "do you love this Soul?" It's like he was trying to get me hyped up and sign on the dotted line. Pnomans other advice about keeping the trade separate is good too. I made that mistake. Got a great deal on the Soul, realized the next day that I got screwed on the trade in. Dumb.

Reactions: pnoman and mgroeger

·
Registered
532 Posts
I forgot to also add - When you have negotiated your price for the new car and the trade in, have them give you IN WRITING what the amount would be for one check for the entire transaction (even if you are financing). Go through it line by line and ask the to explain each fee. Don't be afraid to ask why they are charging for vehicle prep when the factory sticker says very clearly it is already part of the price. Then, if you are financing, make sure they don't sneak in any additional "line items". Or, better yet, get pre-approved by your bank and tell the dealer you will be back in an hour with the check.

Another trick I've seen tried - If you buy a $17K car and trade in a $5K car, you only pay sales tax on $12K. Don't be afraid to double check math and make sure they are adding $$ to their ledger.

(I worked as a photographer and webmaster for car dealers for 10 years after retiring from the military, so I've seen lots of tricks.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the input guys, greatly appreciate it. We've shifted gears a little and are honing in on 2016-2017 Souls around the 45k miles mark. Been doing some research and I'm hearing good things about the Souls in general. I come from large built, off roading Wrangler JLs that my wife and I drive so these little things make us chuckle... hehehe ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Go for Kia Certified so you get the 10yr/100K Powertrain warranty. This is only at a Kia Dealer - not Joe's Corner Car Lot Certified. It only costs them about $400-$500 to make an eligible vehicle Kia Certified, so use that as a bargaining chip.

I hope the used market is better by you than around here. Locally, a 2017 Soul with 35K-45K miles similar to what I could buy new for $17,000 is selling for $14K-$15K. Proportionally, that is not a good deal considering much of the bumper-to-bumper warranty is gone, and maintenance expenses like tires, brakes, 60K Mile Service, etc are not too far down the road.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks for all of the input guys, greatly appreciate it. We've shifted gears a little and are honing in on 2016-2017 Souls around the 45k miles mark. Been doing some research and I'm hearing good things about the Souls in general. I come from large built, off roading Wrangler JLs that my wife and I drive so these little things make us chuckle... hehehe ;)
If you decide to go with a used Soul with that neighborhood of mileage, try to get it "Kia Certified Pre-Owned." It preserves the warranty and requires some extra checks and fixes that a dealer might not otherwise do.

Probably the most common problems affecting Souls at that age, judging by this forum, would be carbon buildup on the rings and intake valves due to the GDI engine. Try to get it in writing that the dealer did an induction system cleaning (or ask them to do one at no cost if they haven't). It costs the dealer about $10.00 to do, so they should be agreeable.

If she starts having odd electrical problems with the car, the very first thing to check is the grounds on the strut towers. I consider removing and replacing the ground bolts on Souls a routine maintenance item every 40K miles or so.

Realistically, you probably can solve 99 percent of grounding issues by doing nothing more than removing the bolts and screwing them back in, but I usually clean the female threads and replace the bolts with new ones. Some people scrape the paint off under the bolt heads, but I personally don't bother with that.

I do hope you teach your little girl how to check the oil; change the oil, oil filter, and air filter; change a tire; check the brake pads and rotors; and so forth. When I teach youngsters to drive, they don't get behind the wheel until they've done that and more. The more informed they are about the machine, the better prepared they are to operate it. Some of my former "students" know more about cars than some mechanics I've dealt with over the years.

The other reason it's important with young women is because, sadly, there are still male mechanics who assume that women don't know anything about cars, and who try to rip them off. Having spent some time under the hood (and even under the car) makes that sort of nonsense easier to detect.

Richard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good food for thought guys, thanks!
I am very mechanically inclined and do all my own stunts. Without going into detail my daughter isn't BUT she has a very trust worthy mechanic that does right by her. Every time she mentions him I'm all ears to see how he handled the problem and more importantly treated her and it has been spot on with what a good decent mechanic would do. We will be moving to UT in a few months so there will be 2k miles between us and after reading the last few posts I'm leaning new now. The used one could possibly be picked up for $11k - $12k with 45k on the clock. New, with rebates, we might be able to get around $15k - $16k. Also I just assumed that any Kia, whether from a private sale, dealer or certified, would still carry the 10yr 100k powertrain warranty correct?

·
Registered
51 Posts
As far as I remember from the small print the powertrain warranty is cut in half when transferred. So you get 5 years or 60,000 miles from when the car was originally put into service (from new essentially).
So if the car is 5 years old you’ve got nothing.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I am very mechanically inclined and do all my own stunts. Without going into detail my daughter isn't BUT she has a very trust worthy mechanic that does right by her. Every time she mentions him I'm all ears to see how he handled the problem and more importantly treated her and it has been spot on with what a good decent mechanic would do. We will be moving to UT in a few months so there will be 2k miles between us and after reading the last few posts I'm leaning new now. The used one could possibly be picked up for $11k - $12k with 45k on the clock. New, with rebates, we might be able to get around $15k - $16k. Also I just assumed that any Kia, whether from a private sale, dealer or certified, would still carry the 10yr 100k powertrain warranty correct?
Mgroeger,
One thing that I've not seen mentioned, is that the 2020 Soul (speaking of the base model, LX) is a whole new car.
The engine is NEW, with better performance and also better mileage,* and the transmission, now an IVT is also new, and even has an Overdrive gear.
* The GDI fuel injection that gave so many people problems, is GONE. Many other changes have been made to the 2.0L engine, to make it more productive while also giving better MPG.
I've had an earlier Soul with the GDI engine, and I really love my 2020 Soul with the New engine, and the new IVT automatic transmission. It's a big step up from my old Gen-1 Soul, and even a decent step UP from the Gen-2 Souls.
Go New, and probably get a few free oil changes in the deal.
Cheers Mate!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife and I bought a Base Soul new in 2015. It has been a very good car. Other than normal oil changes the only things we have had to do was replace the brake fluid, new tires, and new brake pads. That's it. Her car has 111,000 miles on it and is still going strong.

I forgot to add that we also had the car serviced by the dealer when the owner's manual called for it. Usually it was just an oil change and additive put in the gas. I have heard the GDi engines have a tendency to carbon up, hence the fuel treatment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you decide to go with a used Soul with that neighborhood of mileage, try to get it "Kia Certified Pre-Owned." It preserves the warranty and requires some extra checks and fixes that a dealer might not otherwise do.

Probably the most common problems affecting Souls at that age, judging by this forum, would be carbon buildup on the rings and intake valves due to the GDI engine. Try to get it in writing that the dealer did an induction system cleaning (or ask them to do one at no cost if they haven't). It costs the dealer about $10.00 to do, so they should be agreeable.

If she starts having odd electrical problems with the car, the very first thing to check is the grounds on the strut towers. I consider removing and replacing the ground bolts on Souls a routine maintenance item every 40K miles or so.

Realistically, you probably can solve 99 percent of grounding issues by doing nothing more than removing the bolts and screwing them back in, but I usually clean the female threads and replace the bolts with new ones. Some people scrape the paint off under the bolt heads, but I personally don't bother with that.

I do hope you teach your little girl how to check the oil; change the oil, oil filter, and air filter; change a tire; check the brake pads and rotors; and so forth. When I teach youngsters to drive, they don't get behind the wheel until they've done that and more. The more informed they are about the machine, the better prepared they are to operate it. Some of my former "students" know more about cars than some mechanics I've dealt with over the years.

The other reason it's important with young women is because, sadly, there are still male mechanics who assume that women don't know anything about cars, and who try to rip them off. Having spent some time under the hood (and even under the car) makes that sort of nonsense easier to detect.

Richard
Could grounding issues be why my radio is full of static? Especially AM. If using Bluetooth, no problem. Wouldn’t mind seeing a pic of grounds on strut towers if possible. Thanks in advance!
Email [email protected]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well here are the choices she is down to...

2020 - Base model, automatic, floor mats, dealer window tint, nitrogen in tires = $15,203.87 out the door tax, title, tags, fees. They gave her $2700 site unseen for a 2006 Highlander w 230k miles on it.
2016 - 48k miles, upper end model, 1 owner, cert pre owned so balance of 10yr/100k warranty, fresh induction cleaning, lifetime oil changes, $12,660 out the door all fees, etc... They gave her $1500 site unseen for her trade in.

·
Registered
8 Posts

2020 - Base model, automatic, floor mats, dealer window tint, nitrogen in tires = $15,203.87 out the door tax, title, tags, fees. They gave her $2700 site unseen for a 2006 Highlander w 230k miles on it.
2016 - 48k miles, upper end model, 1 owner, cert pre owned so balance of 10yr/100k warranty, fresh induction cleaning, lifetime oil changes, $12,660 out the door all fees, etc... They gave her $1500 site unseen for her trade in.
If you go with the 2016, make sure all the recalls have been done, especially the catalytic converter. Our 2015 has had around 5 recalls since we bought it new.

·
Registered
2 Posts

It's your daughter, right. The 2020 has all the safety equipment on it. She would get a warranty for 5 years/60,000 miles, plus the 10 year/100.000 mile warranty. For an extra $2600 she is driving a much safer model with better gas mileage and everything's covered. Plus I imagine interest is less on a new car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not correct. Only the first owner gets 10yr. 2nd owner warranty ends at 60k miles....unless its a certified used Soul.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all of the input guys, greatly appreciate it. We've shifted gears a little and are honing in on 2016-2017 Souls around the 45k miles mark.
My son just purchased a 2017 Kia Soul LX (base model) with 45k miles for 8,000. This was a private sale. Seller was retiring law enforcement who was down sizing. He found it through Car Gurus. Only problem, had to have personal lone for a private sale. Learning to drive a stick (manual transmission) mybe worth the time to learn.
In my opinion Car Gurus was the best place to shop. I used them also when I purchased a 2020 in December. My local dealer (and other dealers in close proximity) were outrageous on their pricing and the price of their non negoshable ad on's. Purchased my Kia from a dealer out of Houston. Most fair priced vehicle dealers were 2 to 4 hours away.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts