Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my wife's 2016 in yesterday for an oil change (30k) We bought the car used with 26k on the odometer. The Dealer told me the front brake pads were already in failed status.. I said how is that even possible they said well someone did own it before you I said yeah they must have rode the brakes HARD.. Ive made brake pads last 100k on previous cars. 30k and failure of brake pads seems crazy early to me. They quoted like $209.00 to resurface the rotors and replace the pads. Rotors shouldn't need resurfaced as Im not even on the squeeler yet.

I think when I do pads on her car Im def getting OEM Brake pads. I used Duralast on my car and the thing squeels like crazy.. 2011 Kia Soul is my Gen.

Anyways.. They put 5w-20 in for the oil and the change interval was 5k. Dumb question and no I have not referenced owners manual yet but is factory running full syn? Synth-blend? Just curious. Id really like to start picking up a filter and taking it to valvoline for an oil change.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My sister was going through brake pads in 15k miles. At first I thought she was getting taken, but then I rode with her - she was braking hard and late at EVERY stop. 26k miles is very easy to believe could be enough for someone to run through a set of pads.

$209 seems cheap to both resurface and replace pads. I'd just do 'em both at that price and be done with it. And I'm guessing you'll probably get 100k miles out of the new ones, if that's what you've been getting in the past.

As for oil, the factory doesn't call for full synthetic, even on the turbo model, which is kinda shocking. We change all our cars at 5k and use full synthetic. On a DI/turbo car with a relatively small sump I think it's essential. On the non-turbo motor, not as much, but why pinch pennies, especially if you plan on owning it for a long time? Mobil 1 in 5-quart jugs is dirt cheap at WallyWorld and has a $10 rebate going on right now. Easy decision.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My sister was going through brake pads in 15k miles. At first I thought she was getting taken, but then I rode with her - she was braking hard and late at EVERY stop. 26k miles is very easy to believe could be enough for someone to run through a set of pads.

$209 seems cheap to both resurface and replace pads. I'd just do 'em both at that price and be done with it. And I'm guessing you'll probably get 100k miles out of the new ones, if that's what you've been getting in the past.

As for oil, the factory doesn't call for full synthetic, even on the turbo model, which is kinda shocking. We change all our cars at 5k and use full synthetic. On a DI/turbo car with a relatively small sump I think it's essential. On the non-turbo motor, not as much, but why pinch pennies, especially if you plan on owning it for a long time? Mobil 1 in 5-quart jugs is dirt cheap at WallyWorld and has a $10 rebate going on right now. Easy decision.
I can do the pads myself (Yes I can change brake pads and cant change oil - Don't laugh) I didn't think rotors would need resurfaced though.. I mean I could see if she was on the squeeler but I think they just said they are just in failing state or below the minimum Spec

Also Quote was 280.90 I was off by a bit :)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
770 Posts
I'm having my oil done on 6 months time frame. I just had it done on my 2013 + and on the 2018 1 Million edition(it had 1616 miles,but was at 6 months since I bought it new). We don't drive much or travel long distances. Dealer here used a syn blend. If I were to use the mileage on the service manual chart, it would be 1 year + between oil changes.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
770 Posts
^^^
I use what the dealer supplies.....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
1. These pads do wear out a little faster than other vehicles in my experience. I do all of the work on all of my cars all of my life and I can usually get 150k miles out of a set of pads front & back on my vehicle, which is 90% interstate cruising. I had to do the back ones at about 110 and just did the fronts at 127 or so. That said, I can do both sides in 30 minutes, and that's including clean up and jacking the car with the floor jack. Super easy pads to change - kudos to Kia for the easy maintenance.

2. You don't need 5k oil change intervals unless you're in constant stop and go and all kinds of idling or hard-ass driving.

3. When the weather gets warm you can use 5w-30 if you want instead. It's a little bit thicker and you might see a little less oil burning. I'm at 132k now and starting to see some oil burning. But you got pretty low miles so if you have the 20w I'd use that for sure.

4. Skip the rotor resurface unless there's very deep grooves burned into the surface, and in that case you're probably getting new rotors anyway. A few slight ridges will wear right with the pad and hurt nothing. If the overwhelming surface is smooth - say 75%+ - those few little spots aren't going to help or hurt anything. Rotors today are so thin you are lucky if you get one resurfacing out of it, and every time you take off material you shorten the remaining life of the rotor and cause it to get hotter faster.

5. Use the Kia oil filter. It's better than the aftermarket ones and about the same price. If you can't get to one, I have used Purolator just fine on both of my Souls with no ill effect.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
This thread just might bring FLHamster or whatever he calls himself now out of the shadows. :run:

·
Registered
181 Posts
What is TOTAL oil that Kia uses? Synthetic, semi, or conventional?

·
Registered
181 Posts
My question is what type of oil is Kia using? I've seen Kia ads for Total brand, but don't know what flavor it is. Will ask dealer next time I'm near.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
My question is what type of oil is Kia using? I've seen Kia ads for Total brand, but don't know what flavor it is. Will ask dealer next time I'm near.

That's easy...It's "total".................................................................................................Crap!
It's a custom Korean blend of:
1-fish oil
2-teenage acne face oil
3-regurgitated cod liver oil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts